Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Kenosha / Georgia Pass

Has anyone ridding Kenosha / Georgia Pass within the past week? I was looking to make a trip up there either Saturday or Sunday in hopes of riding through the fall colors. Are the Aspens turning yet?

Motion activated
    A few trees with color here and there, but you'd be best to wait a few weeks if you want to see things in full swing.

The ground is also pretty soggy right now, but should be good for the week-end if it stays dry.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Aspens are just starting to turn around Breck. Should be in full swing in 3-5 days.

mtbr member
    Anyone planning to ride from Kenosha to Breck? I will be game for that...and have a car with 2 racks for shuttle.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That's a loop son... a few options- not shuttle necessary- maximize your fun. Do it right and you get awesome single track descents bof ways...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Any pics of the color from this weekend?

Motion activated
    I didn't ride this week-end, but I live in the area at 10,000ft and 95% of the Aspens out my windows are still green.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I didn't ride either. I think the Aspens will start changing much more this week so I am planning to ride it this weekend.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drmurrow View Post
    I didn't ride either. I think the Aspens will start changing much more this week so I am planning to ride it this weekend.
    Probably ~8" of snow up there this morning.

MSH
    mtbr member
    A group of us rode Kenosha-Georgia-Jefferson Creek on Saturday. Conditions were perfect and the aspens were a sea of gold in many spots. Unfortunately, the only pics I got were at the top of Georgia Pass....
    Kenosha / Georgia Pass-ripley-georgia-pass-resize-9-21-2013.jpg

Motion activated
    Pic of Georgia Pass today. Hope this melts QUICK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenosha / Georgia Pass-gp.jpg  

Alaskan in exile.

Kenosha -> Georgia and Back

I rode it last Sunday morning. Still a lot of green out there, a few trees turning here and there. Might be more color this coming weekend.
    Kenosha / Georgia Pass-img_0343.jpg
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Pic of Georgia Pass today. Hope this melts QUICK.
    It's supposed to snow again on Friday. We may have gotten shut out for the season up high. My yearly Monarch Crest trail trip got dropped due to the snow. Ugh. Well, at least the lower elevations are warm enough to melt what little snow they got.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    It's supposed to snow again on Friday. We may have gotten shut out for the season up high. My yearly Monarch Crest trail trip got dropped due to the snow. Ugh. Well, at least the lower elevations are warm enough to melt what little snow they got.
    That sucks about your trip to Monarch, but I'm just gonna ignore what you said about Friday. It's just not gonna happen.

I got out on the dirt bike today and the OHV trails from GP to Kenosha were all clear. Everything I rode on the south side was clear, just a few patches of snow as I reached the top of GP. But everything over the Breck side was mostly covered in snow. No doubt the GP section of the Colorado Trail has snow on it.

Monday was also REALLY windy here. There were downed aspens all over the place today. Quite a few have been cleared, but if anyone is camping in the KP area this week-end bring your chainsaw or a sharp axe. I saw some campsites blocked by down trees and I'm sure this week-end is going to be busy.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Drove over Kenosha Pass yesterday and the Aspens were still mostly green. Next week might be good.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    That sucks about your trip to Monarch, but I'm just gonna ignore what you said about Friday. It's just not gonna happen.

I got out on the dirt bike today and the OHV trails from GP to Kenosha were all clear. Everything I rode on the south side was clear, just a few patches of snow as I reached the top of GP. But everything over the Breck side was mostly covered in snow. No doubt the GP section of the Colorado Trail has snow on it.

Monday was also REALLY windy here. There were downed aspens all over the place today. Quite a few have been cleared, but if anyone is camping in the KP area this week-end bring your chainsaw or a sharp axe. I saw some campsites blocked by down trees and I'm sure this week-end is going to be busy.
    Lots and lots of downed trees. Down low it was mostly Aspens, while up high it was Evergreens. I lost track of how much there was, but at least 12-15 on the ride from Kenosha to Georgia. There was less going down Jefferson and they were mostly smaller, but the the snow was heavier since its shady in the trees. Only a few snow drifts above tree line, else it was clear.

Chainsaw work for sure, way too many of them and most were pretty large.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Kenosha / Georgia Pass

I'm planning to ride this tomorrow. It'll be my first ride above 10000 ft so any additional info that trickles in is welcome. Especially if today's forecasted weather turns out to be rain or snow...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I'm planning to ride this tomorrow. It'll be my first ride above 10000 ft so any additional info that trickles in is welcome. Especially if today's forecasted weather turns out to be rain or snow...
    You might want to rethink this plan....snow levels are supposed to drop to 8,000 feet there will be snow up there tomorrow. And it doesn't sound like the snow from the last storm had fully melted above tree line. Unless things really dry out and warm up over the next couple weeks good chance high country riding is shut down for the year.

We are in a wet pattern which means snow this time of year in the high country.

Edit: Looking at web cams doesn't look like it is snowing in Breck right now so who knows. Could head up there in the morning and if there is snow back track to Buffalo Creek. Dress warm....highs in the 60's in Denver tomorrow going to cold up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I drove by it last wkend on my way back from Monarch Crest. There should be more turning by this week, but last week was too early for full bloom. There weren't many golden trees on the MC ride. Need another week or two.

mtbr member
    we got rained/snowed out today, going to make a push to go tomorrow too. EARLY. going to try to make KP TH by 7am.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Kenosha / Georgia Pass

Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Could head up there in the morning and if there is snow back track to Buffalo Creek. Dress warm....highs in the 60's in Denver tomorrow going to cold up there.
    Sounds like a plan. Got my bike a month ago and still haven't put together a 20 mile ride. I'll be there in the morning unless someone gets caught in an Avalanche

Motion activated
    No snow or rain yet at my house, but the storm clouds are building from the north, but the wind is blowing from the south (which has blue skies). Temps are in the 40's.

Still lots of Green aspens, but there are more patches of gold.

Motion activated
    It's been raining on and off, but no snow so far.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    You might want to rethink this plan....snow levels are supposed to drop to 8,000 feet there will be snow up there tomorrow. And it doesn't sound like the snow from the last storm had fully melted above tree line. Unless things really dry out and warm up over the next couple weeks good chance high country riding is shut down for the year.

We are in a wet pattern which means snow this time of year in the high country.

Edit: Looking at web cams doesn't look like it is snowing in Breck right now so who knows. Could head up there in the morning and if there is snow back track to Buffalo Creek. Dress warm....highs in the 60's in Denver tomorrow going to cold up there.
    I'm headed up there tomorrow (Saturday) I think it will be cold but rideable. Gonna go with my plan!

Motion activated
    Still no snow here. Blue skies in some directions but dark clouds over KP. I'd give you an update in the morning, but I won't be here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast