Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    48

    Kenosha / Georgia Pass

    Has anyone ridding Kenosha / Georgia Pass within the past week? I was looking to make a trip up there either Saturday or Sunday in hopes of riding through the fall colors. Are the Aspens turning yet?

  2. #2
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    A few trees with color here and there, but you'd be best to wait a few weeks if you want to see things in full swing.

    The ground is also pretty soggy right now, but should be good for the week-end if it stays dry.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  3. #3
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,609
    Aspens are just starting to turn around Breck. Should be in full swing in 3-5 days.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ktm2us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    95
    Anyone planning to ride from Kenosha to Breck? I will be game for that...and have a car with 2 racks for shuttle.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    116
    That's a loop son... a few options- not shuttle necessary- maximize your fun. Do it right and you get awesome single track descents bof ways...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    164
    Any pics of the color from this weekend?

  7. #7
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    I didn't ride this week-end, but I live in the area at 10,000ft and 95% of the Aspens out my windows are still green.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    48
    I didn't ride either. I think the Aspens will start changing much more this week so I am planning to ride it this weekend.

  9. #9
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,609
    Quote Originally Posted by drmurrow View Post
    I didn't ride either. I think the Aspens will start changing much more this week so I am planning to ride it this weekend.
    Probably ~8" of snow up there this morning.

  10. #10
    MSH
    MSH is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    718
    A group of us rode Kenosha-Georgia-Jefferson Creek on Saturday. Conditions were perfect and the aspens were a sea of gold in many spots. Unfortunately, the only pics I got were at the top of Georgia Pass....
    Kenosha / Georgia Pass-ripley-georgia-pass-resize-9-21-2013.jpg

  11. #11
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    Pic of Georgia Pass today. Hope this melts QUICK.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kenosha / Georgia Pass-gp.jpg  

    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  12. #12
    Alaskan in exile.
    Reputation: nanook93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    413

    Kenosha -> Georgia and Back

    I rode it last Sunday morning. Still a lot of green out there, a few trees turning here and there. Might be more color this coming weekend.
    Kenosha / Georgia Pass-img_0343.jpg
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

  13. #13
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    Pic of Georgia Pass today. Hope this melts QUICK.
    It's supposed to snow again on Friday. We may have gotten shut out for the season up high. My yearly Monarch Crest trail trip got dropped due to the snow. Ugh. Well, at least the lower elevations are warm enough to melt what little snow they got.

  14. #14
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    It's supposed to snow again on Friday. We may have gotten shut out for the season up high. My yearly Monarch Crest trail trip got dropped due to the snow. Ugh. Well, at least the lower elevations are warm enough to melt what little snow they got.
    That sucks about your trip to Monarch, but I'm just gonna ignore what you said about Friday. It's just not gonna happen.

    I got out on the dirt bike today and the OHV trails from GP to Kenosha were all clear. Everything I rode on the south side was clear, just a few patches of snow as I reached the top of GP. But everything over the Breck side was mostly covered in snow. No doubt the GP section of the Colorado Trail has snow on it.

    Monday was also REALLY windy here. There were downed aspens all over the place today. Quite a few have been cleared, but if anyone is camping in the KP area this week-end bring your chainsaw or a sharp axe. I saw some campsites blocked by down trees and I'm sure this week-end is going to be busy.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  15. #15
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,609
    Drove over Kenosha Pass yesterday and the Aspens were still mostly green. Next week might be good.

  16. #16
    Grams Light Bikes
    Reputation: pastajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71 View Post
    That sucks about your trip to Monarch, but I'm just gonna ignore what you said about Friday. It's just not gonna happen.

    I got out on the dirt bike today and the OHV trails from GP to Kenosha were all clear. Everything I rode on the south side was clear, just a few patches of snow as I reached the top of GP. But everything over the Breck side was mostly covered in snow. No doubt the GP section of the Colorado Trail has snow on it.

    Monday was also REALLY windy here. There were downed aspens all over the place today. Quite a few have been cleared, but if anyone is camping in the KP area this week-end bring your chainsaw or a sharp axe. I saw some campsites blocked by down trees and I'm sure this week-end is going to be busy.
    Lots and lots of downed trees. Down low it was mostly Aspens, while up high it was Evergreens. I lost track of how much there was, but at least 12-15 on the ride from Kenosha to Georgia. There was less going down Jefferson and they were mostly smaller, but the the snow was heavier since its shady in the trees. Only a few snow drifts above tree line, else it was clear.

    Chainsaw work for sure, way too many of them and most were pretty large.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    150

    Re: Kenosha / Georgia Pass

    I'm planning to ride this tomorrow. It'll be my first ride above 10000 ft so any additional info that trickles in is welcome. Especially if today's forecasted weather turns out to be rain or snow...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: steadyflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Terp View Post
    I'm planning to ride this tomorrow. It'll be my first ride above 10000 ft so any additional info that trickles in is welcome. Especially if today's forecasted weather turns out to be rain or snow...
    You might want to rethink this plan....snow levels are supposed to drop to 8,000 feet there will be snow up there tomorrow. And it doesn't sound like the snow from the last storm had fully melted above tree line. Unless things really dry out and warm up over the next couple weeks good chance high country riding is shut down for the year.

    We are in a wet pattern which means snow this time of year in the high country.


    Edit: Looking at web cams doesn't look like it is snowing in Breck right now so who knows. Could head up there in the morning and if there is snow back track to Buffalo Creek. Dress warm....highs in the 60's in Denver tomorrow going to cold up there.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    I drove by it last wkend on my way back from Monarch Crest. There should be more turning by this week, but last week was too early for full bloom. There weren't many golden trees on the MC ride. Need another week or two.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tin_Cup's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    192
    we got rained/snowed out today, going to make a push to go tomorrow too. EARLY. going to try to make KP TH by 7am.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    150

    Re: Kenosha / Georgia Pass

    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    Could head up there in the morning and if there is snow back track to Buffalo Creek. Dress warm....highs in the 60's in Denver tomorrow going to cold up there.
    Sounds like a plan. Got my bike a month ago and still haven't put together a 20 mile ride. I'll be there in the morning unless someone gets caught in an Avalanche

  22. #22
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    No snow or rain yet at my house, but the storm clouds are building from the north, but the wind is blowing from the south (which has blue skies). Temps are in the 40's.

    Still lots of Green aspens, but there are more patches of gold.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  23. #23
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    It's been raining on and off, but no snow so far.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: element1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    You might want to rethink this plan....snow levels are supposed to drop to 8,000 feet there will be snow up there tomorrow. And it doesn't sound like the snow from the last storm had fully melted above tree line. Unless things really dry out and warm up over the next couple weeks good chance high country riding is shut down for the year.

    We are in a wet pattern which means snow this time of year in the high country.


    Edit: Looking at web cams doesn't look like it is snowing in Breck right now so who knows. Could head up there in the morning and if there is snow back track to Buffalo Creek. Dress warm....highs in the 60's in Denver tomorrow going to cold up there.
    I'm headed up there tomorrow (Saturday) I think it will be cold but rideable. Gonna go with my plan!

  25. #25
    Motion activated
    Reputation: Steve71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,017
    Still no snow here. Blue skies in some directions but dark clouds over KP. I'd give you an update in the morning, but I won't be here.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kenosha-Georgia-French-Home
    By ecoomer in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 08:17 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 09:40 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM
  4. Kenosha to Georgia Pass Conditions
    By Grizzattack in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-14-2011, 01:57 PM
  5. Kenosha Pass?
    By mateomtb in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •