zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Katie Compton bee sting

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/comp...d-by-bee-sting

Wow, she's lucky someone in the crowd had an epi pen. If not, it could have been bad depending on the severity of her allergy. It can take a while for the medics to get there.

Anyone else out there have a bee sting allergy and carry an epi pen?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/comp...d-by-bee-sting

Wow, she's lucky someone in the crowd had an epi pen. If not, it could have been bad depending on the severity of her allergy. It can take a while for the medics to get there.

Anyone else out there have a bee sting allergy and carry an epi pen?
    Yep, and thanks for the reminder. Time to put the epi back in the camelback, now that it's bee season again.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN
    Yep, and thanks for the reminder. Time to put the epi back in the camelback, now that it's bee season again.
    Hey MtbRN,
    Assuming your nick suggests some med background, I've got a question for you: trail first aid stuff.
    I carry TP (for non-first aid reasons as well), tape (either cloth or duct tape), and a small thingie of super glue. Everything that's in my little list serves dual duty. What else (besides an epi pen in your case) do you think would be advisable for quick trail (people) fixes? Any other inputs welcomed.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Two safety pins. Fractured clavical. Use the two pins to hold their arm in their jersey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I carry epi pen and also some chewable Benadryl. If taken right away after a bee sting, it is usually enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I got stung by a bee last year racing. I'm not allergic but it really sucked and slowed me down a bunch.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    On super long or back country rides, I carry a ton of stuff. I carry ibuprofen, aspirin, ace bandages, zip ties, flexible neck/bone brace, antibiotic ointment, benadryl, duct tape, hiker pro water filter / iodine tabs, camelbak cover and paklite goretex jacket... I carry one of those large adventure med kits as well. You almost WANT to crash and get hurt on rides with me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    On super long or back country rides, I carry a ton of stuff. I carry ibuprofen, aspirin, ace bandages, zip ties, flexible neck/bone brace, antibiotic ointment, benadryl, duct tape, hiker pro water filter / iodine tabs, camelbak cover and paklite goretex jacket... I carry one of those large adventure med kits as well. You almost WANT to crash and get hurt on rides with me...
    ...and most importantly, go buy one of these!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    Purchased. Good call!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    In a ziplock I carry at all times in my camelback:

A zip lock with some antiseptic towelettes (examine frequently, replace when they dry out)
    2-3 4X4 gauze pads
    A few Knuckle bandages (much more versatile than a standard band aid)
    A women's sanitary pad (great for lots of blood)
    A pair of tweezers
    A small roll of white tape.
    A few packs of 3 in 1 antibacterial ointment
    4-5 iodine prep pads
    A few alcohol wipes
    A couple standard band aids
    Examine gloves
    A lighter
    A little fire starter stick
    A whistle

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good lists so far...

One thing I discovered last fall...Benadryl now comes in a melt away strip like those Listerene strips that stick to the roof of your mouth. Faster then melt away tablets for getting into ones blood stream and come in really thin small packets.

Cheers,
    Mike

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mbcracken
    Good lists so far...

One thing I discovered last fall...Benadryl now comes in a melt away strip like those Listerene strips that stick to the roof of your mouth. Faster then melt away tablets for getting into ones blood stream and come in really thin small packets.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Cool, thanks for posting this! I'm going to get some!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

That freaked me out

I swell up big when I get stung by a bee which I understand is fairly normal. My last two stings have been to the face, one on the nose (It was hard to believe it could get any bigger) and the next in the lip while riding.
    Do/can people progress from that normal reaction to the full anaphylaxis? If so I'll carry an epipen too.
    2 wheels

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by artnshel
    Do/can people progress from that normal reaction to the full anaphylaxis? If so I'll carry an epipen too.
    Yes. But talk to your doctor before getting an Epipen!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Isn't that the only way to get one?

Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    I will.
    2 wheels

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    I'm pretty sure epipens are a prescription item.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I carry a flask.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    This reminds me....

Just to clear up up some myths (or misunderstandings) of the COSAR cards---just in case people are wondering.

--They don't cover anything really--for you at least. All they allow is the rescue people to recover costs incurred getting you out. Rocky Mountain rescue will help you regardless and not charge you. The COSAR sets up a fund that the rescue agencies can tap into if you show it. At the end of the year, all agencies can recover leftover funds, if available, to recoup costs whether you had a card or not.

--If you have to get ambulance, you better have health insurance. They will charge you. This includes a helicopter. Don't think that if you have a COSAR card, you can get a free helicopter ride out of the woods. Helicopters are ambulances.

--If you take narcotics (e.g. morphine) from an injury during rescue, You have to take ambulance--or copter out....unless you have somehow arranged another party (family) take you. But once you take the drugs, you are likely at the whim of the rescue people.

A COSAR card is a nice thing to do for the rescue people, but don't think it's a "get out of jail--I mean danger-- card."

The best thing you can really do is be responsible. Don't go in the mountains totally unprepared. That saves everyone pains.

And yes, get a COSAR card to help those rescue people out when they are helping the unprepared idiots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    note to self: ride w/ john this year (and go light!).
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.