mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

Just visit from Austin to Denver? Ride suggestions?

I'm a mountain biker in Austin, TX and I might be heading up to Denver area in July for my son's Select Baseball World Series Tournament.

Would love to bring my 29er with me and get some suggestions on where and what to ride since I'll be there for a week.

Appreciate the input and insight!

Cheers,
    Erik

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Lance? Did they boot you out of Aspen?

mtbr member
    Erik,

Hit me up before you head up, I have a good map of some of the usual rides in the front range area (mostly around Golden). There are many great places to ride, just a question of where you'll be staying in Denver exactly and how far you want to drive and how much free time you'll have. If you have some ride time and don't want to drive too far, Buffalo Creek is fun and not too far, plenty of miles of trails.. will keep you busy all day. Good map on the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol page of Buffalo Creek. Another not too far but to the north, Heil Valley/Picture Rock. Do this as an out and back and go to Oscar Blues for some food and suds apres ride. Good map of Heil on the Boulder County web page, Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance has good info on places to ride, but not awesome maps.

Depending on how things go with the job I may be back in the area, not that I can keep up with you, but I can still drink a beer. Oh, and don't buy beer @ gas stations or grocery stores, you have to buy full strength @ beer stores.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    July could be very hot in the lower elevations. If you have time you might want to head to the high country.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    If you are on a Niner I'd highly recommend Centennial Cone about 10 miles west of Golden. It is a 17 mile loop from the bottom with very little technical but great climbs, scenery and single track. They are on alternating schedules on the weekends so check out the Jeffco Open Space site for the schedule, and it gets crowded fast on the weekends. Also, hit Lair O'Bear, Three Sisters and Alderfer up in Evergreen.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Damn autocorrect in the Thread title...How did I get Just out of July....augh!!

Good stuff. I will definitely keep my eye on this thread. Waiting for the team to decide and finalize the trip. I will make time to get rides in, that's for sure, there will be plenty of baseball. LOL.

Definitely on a 29er. I'm too big to ride anything else.Love my rig.

I will let you know FB.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming!

Coming from Austin, will be used to the heat, that's for sure. Can't wait to get up and back into the mountains to ride.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by eokerholm View Post
    Coming from Austin, will be used to the heat, that's for sure. Can't wait to get up and back into the mountains to ride.
    Former Austinite here, do not listen to Denverites about heat. They know NOT of what they speak. You will be so cool on 100 degree days here in the dry heat with your sweat evaporating off you, it's really blissful compared to the South. Came back for a wedding and rode the Greenbelt recently, started as early as there was light, filled my 100oz camelbak to the brim with ice, then the rest of the way with cold water, ice was melted in 30 minutes and I ran out of water on a 2 hour ride in June. As far as I could tell, no sweat evaporated.

Anyway, that's a damn fine rig you got there, You'll likely want some chunk. Rides on the front range tend to be less technical and more aerobic than Austin trails, but there's some gnarly stuff out here. Everyone here's a huge fan of the Buffalo Creek network of trails, about an hour out of town. 3 Sisters was mentioned, that's definitely a groovy kind of place, White Ranch has a hellacious climb to it up Belcher but then you get to descend Mustang (don't take the first Mustang sign, go up to the second, I wound up going the wrong way over the weekend and it's unrideable), which is crazy good. You'll want to lower that seat. Up Chimney Gultch and down Apex at Enchanted Forest is a great one, but it's only downhill on even days on the weekends.

More details on the style of riding you like would help, there's too much good to do in a weekend here. Winter park's probably open at that time if you like shuttling stuff
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    I'll be coming for about a week to a baseball world series event in Arvada.
    Sun 7/21 til Friday 7/26.
    Probably only play a game or 2 a day and the rest will be idle. Enough parents attending that I could miss a game and ride if/as needed.

As far as style of riding. I'm a huge fan of Barton Creek style, Revielle Peak here in the area (Tx Slickrock) and have buddies in ABQ, NM and ride love some gravity shuttles in Sandia, techy/flow of Ortero Caynon, Windsor in Santa Fe, or SBT in Taos. etc.

Given my size, age, and weight I'm not a jumper or hucker yet can handle some gnar especially on my El Capitan. City Park is at the upper limits of my Gnar (I wouldn't want much harder than that). I much prefer the down to the up though the El Cap makes me climb like the Goat I am not. Gotta give props to the equipment.

Absolutely LOVED Enchilada Buffet and all it had to offer in Moab. 18 Mile was some fun in Fruita. Holy Cross, St. Mary's, etc.

I defintely prefer the Mtn Riding to Desert Riding.

Austin riding really is just practice and training to ride out of state.

Does that help?

Chairman of the Beard

OK, I have to admit not being a Mountain biker when I was living in Austin

Just visit from Austin to Denver? Ride suggestions?-i-know-some-these-words_20120529130516.jpg
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.