Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Just a reminder.... watch those trees...

I was riding in Breck over the weekend and stopped for a quick rest when I heard a loud unsettling creaking over my head. Looked up and there was a bark beetle tree ready to topple over at the slightest breeze. I'm not saying that you need to be paranoid, but when choosing a strategic place to take a rest & fuel up, don't forget to look up at the trees.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edenger
    I was riding in Breck over the weekend and stopped for a quick rest when I heard a loud unsettling creaking over my head. Looked up and there was a bark beetle tree ready to topple over at the slightest breeze. I'm not saying that you need to be paranoid, but when choosing a strategic place to take a rest & fuel up, don't forget to look up at the trees.
    At the point the trees are at right now, you do need to be paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees. For the maples want more sunlight, and the oaks ignore their pleas.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rush will be here soon!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I was riding the Peaks Trail and popped out at the trailhead on Ski Hill Rd. on Sunday. There was a forest service employee at the trail head warning people of the high winds and beetle kill trees becoming dead fall. She was encouraging people to not go on the trail due to the windy conditions, but not prohibiting them.

There was at least one, maybe two can't quite remember, hikers killed in RMNP last year from beetle kill dead fall so the threat is real.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Tree fell right across the trail while I was hiking up in James Peak Wilderness this weekend. I'm a little more aware now of the old phrase, the mountains don't care.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great, one more thing to worry about while doing the Breck 100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They are called snags, call them what ever you want but look out for them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was camping at Sylvan Lake near Eagle 3 weeks ago, a very large and beetle kill tree fell over right next to camp!

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The trouble with the maples, and they're quite convinced they're right. They say the oaks are just to lucky, and they grab up all the light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Maestro
    The trouble with the maples, and they're quite convinced they're right. They say the oaks are just to lucky, and they grab up all the light.
    ...oaks are just too lofty, and...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My bad.....it is "lofty"

Goofing off?
    So trees do make sounds when falling in the woods....but I guess it knew you were there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    But the oaks can't help their feelings
    If they like the way they're made.
    And they wonder why the maples
    Can't be happy in their shade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Maestro
    There is unrest in the forest, there is trouble with the trees. For the maples want more sunlight, and the oaks ignore their pleas.
    Ah, you are the "maestro" of the maples, and the oaf of the oak.

imaorobbie
    There's not much creepier than lodgepole banging together in the wind. I'm always surprised at the elasticity of live lodgepole. The snags scare the crap out of me. One little microburst can take down hundreds of live trees. I imagine the snags would fall like match sticks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork
    Ah, you are the "maestro" of the maples, and the oaf of the oak.
    Woooooooooossshh.............as it goes over your head!!

hehe ...you said "member"
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker
    Rush will be here soon!
    Can't wait - Moving Pictures in it's entirety!
    Gonna be a killer show ... those guys are phenomenal live
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There is trouble in the forest and the creatures all have fled. As the maples scream oppression and the oaks just shake their heads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights.
    "The oaks are just too greedy;
    We will make them give us light."
    Now there's no more oak oppression,
    For they passed a noble law,
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe, and saw.

And wind.....

18th row on 8/18 at Red Rocks. I saw Rush in '78, '83, 90, and '08. This will be the FIFTH decade in which I have seen them. Phenomenal, every single time.

Unfortunately, they are not playing "The Trees" this time. But, yeah, Moving Pictures in its entirety IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SHOW is not bad for a band that has been kicking it for 35 years. I also read that the new documentary about them is fantastic.

Activating the Time Machine in ..3...2...1....

mtbr member
    I am rigging up a chainsaw attachment for my buddies motorcycle--there are so many trees on many single tracks that a saw just won't do. Cort had one fall about 20 feet from him.

skillz to pay billz
    I gave up on Rush after the last live show I saw(probably in the 90's), they played a 20 minute medley of all the great songs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    When they have as many albums and as many great songs as Rush, they can't possibly play every good song. A medley is better than nothing. There are a handful of bands with the same problem (Pearl Jam, Stones, Chili Peppers come to mind).

I would say give them another chance but the first night is sold out and the second has no good seats left despite the outrageous tab for tickets ($125 each), which in itself says something.

No medleys this time around. "Just" ALL of Moving Pictures, 2112/Priests, Working Man, La Villa AND YYZ AND Leave That Thing Alone (three great instrumentals), Freewill, Spirit of Radio, Marathon, Subdivisions, Closer To The Heart and a bunch of others.

3+ hours from a band that has been cranking 35 years. And some great videos and light effects. A Rush concert is a choreographed multimedia experience more than a concert, which I know is not a lot of people's cup of tea, but they seem to be doing just fine with that model. The fact that they are dusting off an album released almost 30 years ago and playing songs they have NEVER played live before is amazing.

Cycling content: Neil Peart is an avid cyclist (and motorcyclist).

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Damn, I have enough trouble trying not to hit the standing up ones, now I gotta worry about them falling on me too?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The FS has money for doing beetle kill mitigation on trails. Right now, at least on the Dillon Ranger District, they have a couple crews hiking the trails and marking the hazard trees which will then be cut later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast