Jackass

Jones/Frosty park

Anyone been up there yet this year? I tried a search and their is nothing in the "trail conditions thread". Any update would be awesome
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

Team Inflexible
    I have been wondering the same thing. Usually it opens mid May.

Anybody driven up Gold Camp or FR 379 and seen how much snow is left lately?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wednesday I rode UGC from Highdrive to the Old Stage intersection. There were several (maybe 3) sections of snow covering the road. They were all ~10in deep and 10 - 15 yards long. Not sure what the snow is like on 379, but I'm guessing there could be a fair amount left in the Jones/Frosty areas.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    tried to get to 666 from 667 wednesday. About a foot of snow on the north faces, if it would ever warm up and stay that way it won't be long,susposed to snow again tonight!

SS Chimp
    Think it will be a bit. Motos are not getting to bear creek yet so above crankcase alley is probably a bit snowy as well.
    all single...all the time

Grams Light Bikes
    Up near Monument, if you get in the trees above 8200 - 8500 ft, there is quite a bit of snow, not all of it is very deep but it is very slushy and can stop you in your tracks. The stream crossing are currently pretty big, and extremely cold! Needs some good warm weather again, and currently it is not cooperating much!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mt herman

mt herman road dry all the way up from the work center saturday 1may, which was mostly dry except for some puddles and swollen small streams.
    balanced rock road, however, was a mess riding down from rampart range rd; hike a bike snow drifts then a creek crossing right before the west reservoir above palmer lake. probably due to its more northern facing and right on the palmer divide.

I'm with stupid
    Stoopid had some larger then what I hear is normal stream crossings and still had some snow spots and it's not as high as frostys. So I imagine it's still plenty snowy.

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndruid
    mt herman road dry all the way up from the work center saturday 1may, which was mostly dry except for some puddles and swollen small streams.
    balanced rock road, however, was a mess riding down from rampart range rd; hike a bike snow drifts then a creek crossing right before the west reservoir above palmer lake. probably due to its more northern facing and right on the palmer divide.
    Yes, the road was somewhat dry on Thursday. Note that part of the road is getting ready to slough off again where it did last year, I saw a deep crack over by the edge, and the under laying area is getting pretty vertical. I got graupel'ed and snowed on for a good hour, then some sun followed by a cold bitter wind. Upper stoopid had the cold wide stream crossing, while the trees in the valleys up high (mule) had the long drifts. Jones Park sits above 9000ft, and they have been getting hammered lately with storms up there, so it's going to be a bit. Think heatwave!

Stooipd (upper has cold stream crossings), DLS, flow dog, burn zone and black pearl are all fine!

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck
    Stoopid had some larger then what I hear is normal stream crossings and still had some snow spots and it's not as high as frostys. So I imagine it's still plenty snowy.
    Made it to 666 today (just below Jones park) killer ride. Going back up tomorrow on the moto to see how far I can get past 666,I will let you know

Grams Light Bikes
    Enjoy my stream crossing pain!

Stoopid trail stream crossings from Brian Mullin on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    May 2007

A little while yet

I ride in the Canon daily and may try climbing up to the Jones Park section today to see how its going. Forrester's Trail needs at least a week of warm and sunny weather as well as the motoheads plowing through the north facing slopes of the climbs before its good to go. I'll post up as soon as I manage to get all the way through the trail, but I'm guessing at least a couple of weeks with good weather and luck.

I think I can.

What were you thinking?

So, I saw your tracks from the day before and thought well, someone went down the trail. 1st crossing was fine but by the time you hit the second its too late to climb back out. Believe it or not I rode through every crossing except the last and barely got wet, more luck than skill As for the final crossing the trail is pretty much washed out so we decided to hand the bikes across and jump over the rock to the left. Next week should be better once the majority of the melt is gone.
    What the heck are you wearing on your hands Marg, doing some house cleaning
    After watching your video I would say your feet are soaked after the second crossing as it looked like you walked through, that must have felt great
    Wanna ride tomorrow?

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Oh, So Interesting!
    Feel free to stop by and do my dishes anytime!

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO
    So, I saw your tracks from the day before and thought well, someone went down the trail. 1st crossing was fine but by the time you hit the second its too late to climb back out. Believe it or not I rode through every crossing except the last and barely got wet, more luck than skill As for the final crossing the trail is pretty much washed out so we decided to hand the bikes across and jump over the rock to the left. Next week should be better once the majority of the melt is gone.
    What the heck are you wearing on your hands Marg, doing some house cleaning
    After watching your video I would say your feet are soaked after the second crossing as it looked like you walked through, that must have felt great
    Wanna ride tomorrow?
    Work day today! Those are my high tech rain gloves, $5 chemical gloves, toss in some hand warmers and they worked well for rain and snow. I taped over the holes in my shoes to keep me feet dry, until that second crossing, I need to wear my vapor seal socks next time! Was the snow bridge still there? It felt like it was about to collapse. Mule is going to be a while? Geez the 2nd to last crossing was a good 1 1/2 feet deep towards the back on Thursday, you made that one? Stud!!!!! Must have been more water, with the fresh rain and snow on Thursday?