mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Joeys Second Trip

After being schooled about what an "authentic" NY style pizza should bend/fold/drip like, I went back today. I ordered a straight cheese slice and a chicken/ranch/cheese slice.

They bent, they folded, they dripped oil. Tough getting them to do that with one hand while photographing with the other but I pressed on. I still say it's the best pizza I've ever had.

The chicken/ranch/cheese is on Tuesdays only so it was my lucky day. Heaven on a platter. Cheese only was outstanding. Sounds like I work for these guys. Maybe I can get a slice a picture, so here's nine slices...errrr, I mean pics.

329 E. Colfax. I still need user reports from you native NY'ers.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 04:58 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

!Vamos, flaco!
    Dang. I was hoping this was going to be about baby kangaroos.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    Dang. I was hoping this was going to be about baby kangaroos.
    Baby Kangaroo slices are Wednesdays only.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Day-um, that pizza looks GOOD

Yappy little dog!
    This is looking a little more promising (red oval) however, the purple oval clearly shows there is no oil dripping down your arm. That is a prerequisite. I will have to get down there one of these days, but I very rarely find myself in the City.

Does he make Sicilian pie?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joeys Second Trip-dsc_2152.jpg  

tg
    mtbr member

Cmon man!!!

I could live on pizza and mexican food

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Still a little on the thick side, IMO.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Well howdy scrublover, how's things back east? I asked the owner about the thickness of his pizzas and he says he just prefers a little thicker so he's aware that's an issue with seekers of "authentic" nirvana.

schnauzers, I purposely directed the oil away from my wrist as I'm a dainty kind of eater, but trust me, there was oil a' flowin' and a' drippin'.

As far as getting down to Denver, there was a time when I never ever went down there but I told myself about six months ago I had to get to know that area. Turns out I can be in LoDo about ten minutes quicker than I can be in Boulder (driving from 104th and Federal), so around 15 minutes.

As far as me schilling for Joey's, after reading reviews of "best NY-style pizza" I made a list and Joey's is the only one I've actually eaten at. Everything about my experiences there have been 100% positive. I go around 1:30 pm so I've beaten the noon crowd. There's always a parking spot across Colfax. The owner always greets me personally and the food is out of this world (really, all I want is a slice or two). Enough tables for a sit down lunch.

#2 on the list (you all can make your own list) was just the opposite: no parking nearby, crowded at 2pm, patrons reeking of cigarette smoke crowding the counter, no tables/no eat-in, harrassed young guy at the pizza ovens all by himself. Maybe the slices were great but I didn't get a chance to try.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    lulz, wut? the skull of the op and his parade of ot posts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You're up in Westminster, right? I grew up in western NY and my two favorite pizza places in the area are Street Legal (near the mall, next to Bloom) and Pulcinella in Lafayette. They both look very similar to the pizza you photographed above.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    You're up in Westminster, right? I grew up in western NY and my two favorite pizza places in the area are Street Legal (near the mall, next to Bloom) and Pulcinella in Lafayette. They both look very similar to the pizza you photographed above.
    My current criteria is I can walk in and order up a slice or two, easily. Hole-in-the-wall joints are built for that. I'll check out your recommendations, thanks!

A guy I shoot baskets with at my gym was born in NY and has been here awhile. Side note: when I'm on, I'm hard to beat shooting hoops. This guy, he never misses. If I'm really on I'm still gonna miss one or two, and he never misses so I lose. This, in my book, makes him an expert on NY style pizza.

So, his recommendation is that place that somebody else recommended over on my other thread, over on Midway near the Target in Broomfield. His description of that pizza is "the best I've found so far but the crust isn't as thin as I'd like".

Side note #2: I was down in Denver again today but left without a slice. True story.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    My current criteria is I can walk in and order up a slice or two, easily. Hole-in-the-wall joints are built for that. I'll check out your recommendations, thanks!
    You usually won't have a problem doing this at Street Legal or Pulcinella.

I think I can.

There is one in C/S as well

Saw it today, 1829 Briargate Blvd, need to give a try so I can see what all the fuss is about

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    Saw it today, 1829 Briargate Blvd, need to give a try so I can see what all the fuss is about
    You didn't see a second "Joeys" as the one I went to is the only one. At least that I know of. Maybe a second "Street Legal"?

I think I can.

After reading the reviews?

I would ask if this guy used to own the one in C/S, sounds like a new owner and the food has changed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Q4VyTzz5uNYfbg

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    I am going to have to do some research on the matter.... YUMMMMM Pizza

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEMTBR COLORADO View Post
    I would ask if this guy used to own the one in C/S, sounds like a new owner and the food has changed.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Q4VyTzz5uNYfbg
    I just looked at "Yelp Colorado Springs Joeys Pizza" and it gets the same kind of reviews as the one I went to up here. And both have Garlic Knots (whatever that it is!) and ham/pineapple pizza. Maybe they are the same restaurant. Anyway, if that one in the Springs (I went to high school in Manitou) is basically the same place you're in for a treat. I'll ask the guys at Joey's here on Colfax if they're related.

edit: if the Joeys down there has chicken/ranch/cheese pizzas (up here it's Tuesdays only) you gotta try a slice.

edit again: the Joey's in C Springs is no relation to the one I go to on E. Colfax. I just asked the owner there today.
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-06-2011 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I tried Street Legal yesterday. While good, it was more like "Colorado style thin crust". Tasty, the two people working there were great (one was from New York), I enjoyed it but it wasn't Joey's.

Real good as opposed to a culinary revelation like Joey's was, twice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Check out Pulcinella next... I think it's better than Street Legal and more NY style. I only go to Street Legal because it's about 10x closer to my office.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Check out Pulcinella next... I think it's better than Street Legal and more NY style. I only go to Street Legal because it's about 10x closer to my office.
    Will do. You need to sneak out of work and get down to Joey's. I'd like your opinion of their pies.