mtbr member

Job Opportunity came up in Boulder - Where should we live

Searched and saw another thread from March, however my needs are a bit different. Little background: currently live in Southern California 8 blocks from the beach. I'm from New England so the weather doesn't scare me.

I'm looking for a place that would be walkable to a downtown type area. Not necessarily downtown Boulder, but an area with some small shops, restaurants, beer, etc... The company I work for has offices just outside downtown Boulder, and I'd like to be able to commute via bike or public transit. Where should we be looking? It's just my GF, me, my dog, and her cat. Traffic doesn't scare me (see Los Angeles), and the cost of living will certainly be lower even in Boulder than my current area. Are there any small communities near the Boulder area we should look at?

Thanks for any insight

Cheers

Rob

mtbr member
    I'm starting to look up in that area, too, and haven't found anything that speaks to me yet.

As for the weather, being from New England has no bearing on the weather here. It just doesn't snow here, despite what people say. I'm also from New England (Maine) and the little snow that does fall here (I'm in the Springs right now) that people get all wound up about just isn't a big deal. I'll caveat that with one observation about the snow. Because it's drier, when it compacts on the roads, it goes straight to ice rather than slush, so that is something to be aware of.

You might check out Golden as a place to start.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I really like South Boulder. More open, less crowded, less college kids. Downtown can be a little hectic and so can The Hill. North Boulder is also nice.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Did you dig through the "Where to live" thread here? Moving to CO, need advice on good location

It's huge and should have some ideas that will help you narrow your search.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you want to ride your bike to work into Boulder, I'd suggest living in Boulder itself. It really depends on where in Boulder you'll be working.

I live in Niwot, which fits everything you're looking for aside from the bike commute piece. I can walk to downtown Niwot in a few minutes where there are some nice restaurants and lots of events happening, and I can be at some pretty kick-ass TH's in 10-15 minutes. The town has a great community feel as well- probably one of a very few on the Front Range. However, if I wanted to ride my bike into Boulder, it would take me 30 minutes or so (it's a 5-10 minute drive). You could look at Gunbarrel- not so much of a community, but it's closer to Boulder and has some decent restaurants, bars, and shops.

I just re-read your post and saw that you're OK with public transit... there's a bus stop at Diagonal and Niwot Road, so that would solve your issue if you lived in Niwot.

lucky enough
    If you can afford to live in Boulder go for it. Keep the commuting to a minimum. My commute is about 3 miles on bike. The North end of town sounds like what you're looking for. There's a small commercial area near the Boulder Community Hospital with restaurants a pub, etc. Or try a mile or so further North near Boulder Cycle Sport.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight thus far. I'll check the other thread too. My current bike commute to work is about 45 minutes each way over a pass so I'm good with anything under an hour. I'll check some of these areas out.

Cheers

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    If you want to live in the hills, in a smaller town with beer/food and have public transportation to and from Boulder you really only have two options. Nederland and Lyons.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

MK_
    carpe maņana
    I'd definitely recommend living in Boulder.

South Boulder isn't bad but it's an urban sprawl. It has an advantage of being closer to I70 which is a main access to the mountains (getting through town is 10-20 minutes depending on traffic).

North Boulder is more modern, more thought out but a little yuppie. The best spot there is near Lucky's market on Broadway and Quince. The area around Ideal Market mentioned above is pretty good, too.

Downtown and the Hill is studentville. Loud and abnoxious (but I'm married with a kid, it may be your cup of a tea).

East Boulder is kinda far from any sort of action and west boulder is very spendy.

In the mornings traffic toward Boulder is hell from all directions (for someone coming from LA its more of a purgatory). Reverse is true in the evening. I dread this recession as up until 2009 I worked and lived in Boulder my entire professional career and life was great. Never touched a car during the week, save for a trip to a trailhead. It isn't terrible as I drive out of Boulder; I would hate life if I was commuting into it.

Of all the places I lived, I enjoy living on the North side of town the most. Easy access to downtown (off-road bike paths and direct bus route; Skip). Lots of open spaces, Lyons is a quick shot from here.

_MK

P.S.

If you settle on living outside of Boulder, check out the RTD-Denver for all bus routs. There is a central bus terminal right downtown Boulder where all regional busses terminate. Busses are bike friendly and it's pretty affordable with annual commuter passes.
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Goofing off?
    Not the most coffee shops and such, but, Louisville and Lafayette are just outside Boulder and within biking distance.

Get to dah choppah
    North Boulder. If you qualify, the affordable housing initiative can be very helpful.

Homeworks
    Santa Cruz TBc
    Pivot 429c

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    I'm looking for a place that would be walkable to a downtown type area. Not necessarily downtown Boulder, but an area with some small shops, restaurants, beer, etc... The company I work for has offices just outside downtown Boulder, and I'd like to be able to commute via bike or public transit. Where should we be looking? It's just my GF, me, my dog, and her cat. Traffic doesn't scare me (see Los Angeles), and the cost of living will certainly be lower even in Boulder than my current area. Are there any small communities near the Boulder area we should look at?
    You just described Louisville, which happens to be where I live.

Easy commute to Boulder by car or bike (good cardo heading home up S Boulder Rd!). Easy biking to Marshall Mesa and Flatirons Vista/Springbrook which also happens to be legal at night which is nice if you like to ride after work. 40 minute to 1 hour drive gets you to Lyons (Hall/Heil Ranch), Walker Ranch, West Mag, Indian Peaks, Golden and a bunch of other fun places to ride.

Very walkable/active community. Cheaper than Boulder. Houses within 10 minutes walk of old downtown are $400k-$1+m depending on size. Old downtown has a bunch of resturants and a vibrant atmostphere. Its very popular in the summer with street faires and the like. It also has a new downtown area that has the chains and stuf, but still tastefully done.

Generally I don't heed much for the top places to live kind of thing (I used to live in one town that was a "top place" and it stunk) but in this case I feel that Louisville earns it reputation for one of the best places to live in the US. I have no desire to ever move away from it.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 01-18-2013 at 02:18 PM.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNormsk View Post
    I have no desire to every move away from it.
    Hmmm... ever been to Durango?

Now older but less slow!
    BTW I can commute by bike from Louisville to Boulder in 30 minutes. 32 minutes to get home (its uphill!).

Now older but less slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Hmmm... ever been to Durango?
    Yes and i thought it was a dump Still that was at the end of November so perhaps not the best time to visit

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Yes and i thought it was a dump Still that was at the end of November so perhaps not the best time to visit
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

And you call yourself a mountain biker.

MK_
    carpe maņana
    BTW I can commute by bike from Louisville to Boulder in 30 minutes. 32 minutes to get home (its uphill!).
    That's odd, when I used to work in Louisville, it was far quicker to get to Louisville, especially since wind blows hard from the west nearly every evening.

(if you take Baseline, you avoid steep hills and most of the traffic; and there is a good bike path paralleling the train tracks; granted, I worked in the Louisville tech center off of Dillon so I didn't need to get into downtown area particularly efficiently).

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Now older but less slow!
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I'll admit I wasn't in Durango to go biking at the time (Polar Express with the kids). If it were summer and I had my bike I'm sure I would change my tune and not mind all the crappy motels that dot the town.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

I would probably give my left nut to live in Durango. It's gorgeous, amazing mountain biking in summer, wolf creek and purgatory for winter times, and Ska Brewery for all times!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm a realtor and mountain biker so though I'd reach out and offer some help. Everything I read previously in this thread is reasonable advice. I've lived in Boulder for over twenty years and think it's hard to beat but it isn't everyone's cup of joe. Also our good mountain biking is almost always a drive away and the housing here will be the most expensive option.
    Louisville to the east is nice and is closer to Denver. Lyons to the north will give you a small community feel with great access to mtb trails. It's 30-40 minute ride to the outskirts of Boulder so only a 15 minute drive but unlike Louisville it isn't really near much else.
    Golden is a 30 minute drive south of Boulder and can be a nice option with really good riding nearby and easy access to both the ski areas and Denver. Golden however wouldn't be a pleasant bike commute to Boulder because it's on a high speed road with lots of traffic.
    Seeing the everything in person is always the best way to get a feel for it. If you want more info about the housing options or anything else just PM me.
    Art
    2 wheels

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by nlyso View Post
    I would probably give my left nut to live in Durango. It's gorgeous, amazing mountain biking in summer, wolf creek and purgatory for winter times, and Ska Brewery for all times!
    I've got all the kids I'm gonna have. I'd give BOTH nuts to live in Durango.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Visited Boulder this past summer and came away thinking Louisville would be a great alternative to Boulder, especially if you have kids. Might be more of a haul for outdoor activities, though, but seems like you get much more bang for your buck housing wise. Looks like it is pretty easy to get around by bike in Louisville with off road paths galore, making for a short ride or walk to the little downtown area.

mtbr member
    FWIW, Louisville was #1 on one of those 'best places to live' lists recently,

Best Places to Live 2011 - Top 100: Town details: Louisville, CO - from MONEY Magazine

I am currently in west Arvada, not a bad spot all around, especially since I work in Denver and the wife works in Boulder. Louisville and Golden will be on our short list when we look to buy a house, though won't completely discount staying near our current locale. We like Boulder to, but it is too pricey IMO and a bit different culturally than other areas nearby.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

Thread Terrorist
    Sounds like not much scares you. You should be good to go in Boulder. Hopefully price won't scare you either.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    If you've got to live in the Front Range...