They turned me loose

Job market in Fort Collins/Loveland

What's the overall job market like in these areas? I'm curious to know what the main industry is, what the IT industry is like and general feel of living the area. We are exlploring our options and my girlfriend is interested in Colorado State. I am too, I hear you guys have Mt. Bike Trails out there

Thanks!

Tame the Penguin!

Tech troubles

As Colorado State Alumni, I can say that your girlfriend couldn't be considering a better college. Fort Collins is an awesome college town.

As for the IT industry in the Fort, it's taken a hit just like IT around the country. You have 3 large companies in town, HP, LSI, and Celestica that all have IT needs. The University also has some pretty demanding IT issues. There are also dozens and dozens of smaller companies that need that expertise as well. As for what jobs are currently available, it really just depends on the economy at this point.

Fort Collins is situated well for commuting to high tech jobs around Denver, Boulder, and Longmont to the South.

Basically, if you have a degree and some experience, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find an IT related job in the area.

As for trails.....yea we have a few.

If you can make it out this way, let me know, we'll get together for a ride and campus tour.

--El Beastro

They turned me loose
    I have a lot of experience but no paper to prove it, yet. I would love to find a position at the University, but residency puts a damper on that. I would like to finish up at Colorado State myself, but someone needs to pay the bills, whilst she attends. Big choice to move out there at this point, especially being in a good job at the moment and rather "stable". Decisions, decisions.

What's the drive time to Boulder? Cheyenne?

If and when this happens, I will need a guide!

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro
    As Colorado State Alumni, I can say that your girlfriend couldn't be considering a better college. Fort Collins is an awesome college town.

As for the IT industry in the Fort, it's taken a hit just like IT around the country. You have 3 large companies in town, HP, LSI, and Celestica that all have IT needs. The University also has some pretty demanding IT issues. There are also dozens and dozens of smaller companies that need that expertise as well. As for what jobs are currently available, it really just depends on the economy at this point.

Fort Collins is situated well for commuting to high tech jobs around Denver, Boulder, and Longmont to the South.

Basically, if you have a degree and some experience, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find an IT related job in the area.

As for trails.....yea we have a few.

If you can make it out this way, let me know, we'll get together for a ride and campus tour.

--El Beastro

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    I have a lot of experience but no paper to prove it, yet.

What's the drive time to Boulder? Cheyenne?
    Keep in mind that there are a fair number of laid of tech workers with degrees and experience in the area that you'll need to compete with for jobs. That piece of paper is key to getting you in the door.

CSU's IT staff is primarily students making minimum wage.

Boulder and Cheyenne are 45 minutes away...in opposite directions from the Fort.

Moderator Moderator
    Like El Beastro said, there are a lot of people with degrees looking for work. People who have moved from California, Texas, East Coast, etc. with Tech Jobs that have been laid off don't want to leave after they've experienced Northern Colorado living for a reason...

We have a trail or two withing riding distance of downtown too

A quick Google search came up with this:

http://www.collegian.com/vnews/displ.../419303c804825

http://www.unco.edu/careers/career.htm

http://regionalhelpwanted.com/home/136.htm?SN=136

http://welcome.colostate.edu/index.asp?url=jobs

http://www.careerscolorado.com/Default.asp
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by 2mellow
    text goes here
    We have a moderator called 2melow? Is this old news? Am I just slow?

I spent a couple o' summers in the Fort, I can't say much about real jobs but I never had problems finding temp wrenching work.

Hands down best party town in CO.

Professional Lurker
    El Beastro nailed it pretty good. I'm also a CSU Alumni, and am very proud of it. I actually work in Broomfield (just northwest of Denver) and commute from Fort Collins. That's a 50 minute drive and about 60 miles. Yes it is growing a bit old. But commuting is always an option. Keep that in mind. So if you're doing searches on Monster.com, go ahead and click Boulder/Denver, too. Don't count those cities out just yet. Wait until you're really serious about the prospect. Then see if it's too far. Just my $.02.

You won't find many cities like Fort Collins. Still kinda cheap, not overly crowded, clean, wide bike lanes, plenty of outdoorsy things to do...like the annual Brewfest!....I could go on and on....It is a great town.
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm actually the moderator for the 29" wheel forum.

I just happen to live in Ft. Collins!
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

They turned me loose
    Thanks for chiming in all, it's certainly a different feel forum wise, those central nyackers are few and far between on these boards. Ft. Collins sounds like a blast. I'll throw some confusion at you, I'm on my way to a Natural Resources degree, kind of unrelated to IT, but when you grow up a geek, your always a geek. What are the prospects with that in mind? Logging Companies, etc?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The job market in Fort Collins/Loveland is lagging behind the "recovery" in the rest of the country. If I were relocating to the state, I'd look hard at Longmont -- it's situated such that your G.F. could still get to F.C. for school, but you'd be able to access job markets in Boulder, Denver, Longmont, or Loveland/Fort Collins. And of course, you could also have access to a wide variety of trails from there.

Boulder's the best, though. But I'm biased.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by KeatonR
    The job market in Fort Collins/Loveland is lagging behind the "recovery" in the rest of the country. If I were relocating to the state, I'd look hard at Longmont -- it's situated such that your G.F. could still get to F.C. for school, but you'd be able to access job markets in Boulder, Denver, Longmont, or Loveland/Fort Collins. And of course, you could also have access to a wide variety of trails from there.

Boulder's the best, though. But I'm biased.
    I just moved to Longmont. I work in Boulder, wife was working in Denver but didn't like the job. Her commute to Denver was about 50 minutes with traffic. My commute to downtown Boulder is about 30 minutes.

We actually go to Loveland quite a bit, just takes 15 - 20 minutes to get there, since its less crowded than Boulder. Overall we are pretty happy with Longmont. I would have liked to live over in Lyons (closer to the mountains), but couldn't find what we wanted in our price range so we ended up in Longmont.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR

Fort Collins is a great place..

I am a student at CSU. I love Fort Collins, it is a very bikecentric community. There are a ton of great trails around here and we are close to great trails in other areas. CSU has a great natural resources school as well, many of my hippie friends are in that program.
    Finding a job here is pretty hard. I have been looking for part time work for months. It's hard to compete with other applicants that have already graduated from school. But, opportunities do exist I am sure, especially if you already have a degree.

mtbr member
    Hell yea CSU. Best school in the world.

go big or go home
    awesome biking and camping...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tame the Penguin!

and a little snow...

Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    awesome biking and camping...
    and some occasional snow.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bodhisattva
    And those twins....

See what happens when they take away my I.M. at work....
    Life....the original terminal illness