mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Jenny Creek out of Eldora - Closed - Really?

OK. I guess I am guilty of not paying attention, but according to Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests Pawnee National Grassland - Jenny Creek Trail Jenny Creek is closed in summer now? Seriously? No riding from Eldora to WP?

Jenny Creek Trail begins at the Jenny Creek Trailhead, just outside of Eldora Mountain Resort's private parking lot. This trail crosses private land and is not open for use when Eldora Mountain Resort is closed to the public.

lucky enough
    Just ride up the left-most ski run and look for a trail in the woods off to your left - avoids the private land.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Re: Jenny Creek out of Eldora - Closed - Really?

Yea, seems like it's just referring to that first segment by the nordic center.

ride
    This thread seems to come up every year. Unless Eldora's taken it down, there's a HUGE sign on the closed gate at the Eldora entrance that says how you can legally access Jenny Creek via Eldora.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can someone please clarify how to connect to the Jenny Creek trail? From what I understand, it's a trail through the woods from the far-left ski lift, starting near the water tank which is shown on topo maps. I'd like to know roughly what compass direction that connector takes to reach the Jenny Creek trail.

Also, if we're at Rollins Pass and want to descend via Jenny Creek to Eldora, is that permissible from the "Pack Trail" which splits off at Rollins Pass? Or is it preferable to descend east on the trail to Rollinsville and connect with Jenny Creek on the connecting trails near what I assume is Jenny Creek meadow?

Thanks for any tips and happy riding...

lucky enough
    Once you're in the main parking lot for Eldora, go to the left side - near the Nordic center. Then ride up the left hand side of the trail. I think the trail is called Ho Hum. You can google the Eldora ski area to see a map of their trails. After you ride a distance of 700 feet or so you'll be at the top of that beginner run. Then bear right as the trail levels out and as you follow the forest boundary. After another few hundred feet you should see a single track trail heading into the woods on your left. There are LOTS of nordic trails around there but you generally want to head south and west to get to Jenny Creek. The trail that I use that drops into Jenny Creek angles down a slope at a fairly consistent grade - heading roughly SW.

Coming down from the Pass back to Eldora area you can do the pack trail but be careful as the top part is steep and loose. But it'll save you time rather than going by the tunnel and following Rollins Pass road.

Also I would suggest riding on the old train trestles just on the East side of the pass - this route connects with the pack trail. It is not necessary to climb higher up to hike over the collapsed tunnel.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Yep, like Ignazjr said, no worries on Jenny Creek trail. I just did it today, and even had an Eldora Mountain employee direct me there.

Not sure if anyone has posted about trail conditions, but if you're going soon expect to get wet in Jenny Creek and do some hiking over 4-5 large snow patches in the last mile of Jenny Creek trail as it approaches Rollins Pass Rd. Other than that, the riding is incredible (much more fun in the DH direction).