Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 58
  1. #1
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110

    JeffCo Mountain Biker Town Meeting 02/10/05

    To: All Mountain Bikers who ride in Jefferson County


    Re: JEFFERSON COUNTY MTB TOWN MEETING

    Are you concerned about:

    ∑ County trails being closed to mountain bikers?

    ∑ New parks with closures to bikes on alternating days?

    ∑ County trail policy changing without public input?

    ∑ Terrain park opening with no shuttle access?

    ∑ Lack of communication with other trail user groups?



    Cyclists in Jefferson County are organizing to work on issues important to mountain bikers in your area. We need your participation! All riding styles are welcome.

    Please join us for a town meeting

    Thursday, Feb 10, 2005 at 7:00 p.m.

    Location:

    Jefferson County Open Space Building

    700 Jefferson County Parkway

    Golden CO 80401

    Ponderosa Room (enter on East side of Building)

    Link to map: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/ext/images/complex.gif <http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/ext/images/complex.gif>



    Changes are affecting these parks and may be coming to your favorite soon:

    Centennial Cone

    Deer Creek Canyon

    Hildebrand Ranch

    North Table Mesa

    Reynolds Ranch

    South Table Mesa

    White Ranch


    Snacks & beverages will be provided. Sponsored by Bicycle Colorado and IMBA and Team Evergreen.



    Please pass this information on to other concerned cyclists in your area.

    For information, visit www.BicycleColorado.org <http://www.bicyclecolorado.org/> . We look forward to seeing you there!

    Cheers,

    Dave
    JeffCo Trail Use Task Force Biker Representative
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  2. #2
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    Sweet - thanks for the info.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: .thumper.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,240
    Definitely! See ya there.

  4. #4
    old skool newbie
    Reputation: goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    812

    good stuff

    thanks for the info,
    I may have a family birthday thingy that nite, but if not, i will be there...

  5. #5
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,108
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater

    Please pass this information on to other concerned cyclists in your area.
    Thanks for the info Dave. I'll put it up on the Redstone site and email it to my list, too.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marinjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    228

    I'll

    be there too

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    106

    The more the merrier

    This sounds like 1994 revisited. I'm going.
    Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol - FRMBP - Patrolling Buffalo Creek in the Pike National Forest for over 14 years

  8. #8
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    Please note that this meeting is Thursday, Feb. 10th at 7:00pm (tomorrow night), and this room has a capacity of 88. We will not be meeting with Open Space staff at this meeting, it is us, your Trails Use Task Force representatives, Bicycle Colorado, and IMBA and team Evergreen are pitching in as co-sponsors to cover snacks and non-alcoholic beverages. We will be discussing and exchanging information on current JeffCo happenings and policy with open discussion for all. We hope to find additional people who wish to get involved, as well as to get together in this general mountain biker town meeting environment. This is a meeting of mountain bikers discussing JeffCo, not a JeffCo meeting.

    Myself and the other Trails Use Task Force JeffCo biker representatives got together with Dan at Bicycle Colorado at a recent meeting and came up with this town meeting concept, Dan was instrumental in putting this together. I reserved the Ponderosa Room (the OSAC Hearing room) in the Open Space building for Thursday night, Feb. 10th at 7:00pm with the agreement of the other Trails Task Force members for this meeting.

    See you there.

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  9. #9
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    I plan on being there...who else is going? Depending on how long the meeting goes, I may night ride green afterwards if anyone is interested.

  10. #10
    Addicted
    Reputation: SiberianYETI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    149
    Hmmm, so there will be punch and pie. Sounds like something worth checking out.

  11. #11
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    I plan on being there...who else is going? Depending on how long the meeting goes, I may night ride green afterwards if anyone is interested.
    Hey Kirk, we're not sure of the exact number attending yet, I have some idea from a few RSVPs, but we're guessing the occupancy limit on that room of 88 will be enough. We don't feel this will be any problem unless many people wait till the last minute and decide to go. Any more than 88 of us in the room would have to occupy the hall or outside.

    I had booked that room from 7:00-9:00pm, so wouldn't be enough time to ride afterward, but I'd be up for another night ride soon some other time anyway.

    We have a basic agenda to follow for the meeting, but much of it will be open discussion. If you want to speak and share thoughts and ideas and ask questions, you will be able to. We just have to keep enough structure to the meeting so that we can hear everyone speak and ask questions that wants to.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  12. #12
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    hmm...maybe I'll just night ride before hand then....nothing like showing up to meeting in spandex...

    A speaker I am not....you prolly won't hear a word out of me the whole meeting unless someone says something stupid that I just can't let go w/o comment.

    Just got the TCS email...love to see TCS get back and kicking again.

  13. #13
    DWF
    DWF is offline
    Non Dual Bliss
    Reputation: DWF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Hey Kirk, we're not sure of the exact number attending yet, I have some idea from a few RSVPs,
    I'm going and will probably have a few others with me.

  14. #14
    Are your pants fresh?
    Reputation: Freshpants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    135

    I'll probably

    be there as well along with one or two other folks I bring with.

    FP

  15. #15
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,108

    Just got this in my inbox...

    Kind of like playing telephone. Seems like this one is just a little on the extreme side...

    </PRE>




    There is a Jefferson County Open Space meeting on Thursday 2/10/05 at 7pm at the Taj Mahal in Golden to close White Ranch, Deer Creek, and Apex and other local trails to mountain bikersfrom downhillers shuttling and blazing downhill through hikers, other mountain bikers and horseback riders. All riders are encouraged to attend to prevent this from happening. This logic to close trails due to a few stupid riders would be like closing the interstate highway because someone was caught speeding.



    All area riders and shops are strongly encouraged to attend to prevent ANY trail closures! If one closes it makes it much easier to close others. With no open trails, there is NO mountain bike business to have! Spread the word and show up and prevent this from happening.

    </PRE>
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  16. #16
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    [font=Courier New][size=2][color=black]Kind of like playing telephone. Seems like this one is just a little on the extreme side...
    Who was the (for lack of a better term) "sarcastic idiot" that sent that to you?

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  17. #17
    ride
    Reputation: ignazjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,108

    email me

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Who was the (for lack of a better term) "sarcastic idiot" that sent that to you?
    Dave
    email me at dave@redstonecyclery.com and I'll forward it to you. I got it as a mass mailing, but it seems to have come from a shop in Denver...


    dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

  18. #18
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    So you know, the meeting tonight is not a JeffCo Open Space meeting, it is a mountain biker meeting to discuss JeffCo, no JeffCo OS staff will be in attendance. They allow us to use the room free of charge, so we are holding the meeting in the Open Space building. It is not over at the "Taj Mahal".

    Any of you that are not interested or cannot take such things seriously are welcome not to attend. There is an 88 person occupancy limit for this meeting room. We wish to get mountain bikers together who want to keep informed and may wish to get more involved. So those not interested tend to make this all work out by not attending.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  19. #19
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Who was the (for lack of a better term) "sarcastic idiot" that sent that to you?

    Dave
    I guess this means that park rangers aren't really going to start shooting random mountainbikers in the neck with tazers to "make examples of them"?

    See you guys there.

    Oh, BTW - I think the "better term" you were looking for would be "f***wit"
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 02-10-2005 at 01:05 PM.

  20. #20
    crash and burn at 45
    Reputation: drydirtrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    250
    should be interesting, i'll be there with some of my riding folks

  21. #21
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110

    The Meeting Was a Success

    We had a great turnout, got great input from many people on the positive and needing improvement areas of JeffCo Parks, exchanged ideas, gathered feedback and contact info, heard which contact methods worked, and got a group of people more involved where they wanted to get involved.

    We also had a very professional meeting and left the facility that JeffCo lent us in the same shape that we got it in, and we finished and left on time. We have taken another step to revitalize the interest and involvement of the mountain biking community using JeffCo Open Space parks.

    Thanks to all who attended. We will have a larger venue next time!

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  22. #22
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    We had a great turnout, got great input from many people on the positive and needing improvement areas of JeffCo Parks, exchanged ideas, gathered feedback and contact info, heard which contact methods worked, and got a group of people more involved where they wanted to get involved.

    We also had a very professional meeting and left the facility that JeffCo lent us in the same shape that we got it in, and we finished and left on time. We have taken another step to revitalize the interest and involvement of the mountain biking community using JeffCo Open Space parks.

    Thanks to all who attended. We will have a larger venue next time!

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Thank you for the info (on the meeting) - that was quite a turnout.

  23. #23
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    And by success he means huge turnout....I'd guess over 200 MTB's showed up. Next move is to have a governing body, a caucus, a smaller group of core volunteers come together in two weeks to further dicuss the issues/possible resolutions brought forth at the meeting and find a coherent/proper manner to bring those issues to the table with JCOS.

    Dave, I'd like to better understand exactly what you do...I'm completely misinformed apparently......beers after a night ride would be a good time to discuss.

    Out of curiousity, what MTBR's showed up? I saw s1ngletrack, DWF, Thumper, marinjp (sp?) and Carl Mega there...anyone else?

  24. #24
    locked - time out
    Reputation: s1ngletrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    And by success he means huge turnout....I'd guess over 200 MTB's showed up. Next move is to have a governing body, a caucus, a smaller group of core volunteers come together in two weeks to further dicuss the issues/possible resolutions brought forth at the meeting and find a coherent/proper manner to bring those issues to the table with JCOS.

    Dave, I'd like to better understand exactly what you do...I'm completely misinformed apparently......beers after a night ride would be a good time to discuss.

    Out of curiousity, what MTBR's showed up? I saw s1ngletrack, DWF, Thumper, marinjp (sp?) and Carl Mega there...anyone else?
    Apparently Sandan was sitting right next to me, Kirk. I'd be curious to know who else showed up also.

  25. #25
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Dave, I'd like to better understand exactly what you do...I'm completely misinformed apparently......beers after a night ride would be a good time to discuss.
    Sure, but in a nutshell, I do research and gather information, try to keep informed of Open Space policy, changes and plans, stay in contact with both JeffCo Open Space staff and fellow mountain bikers, I attend some OSAC meetings to gather more info and speak when necessary, I sit at a table in Open Space meetings with JeffCo staff and try to convey what you and all of us want to them, they listen, we exchange information and news/developments, and I pass on what I gather from them to you. I am part of the conduit to communicate through. I am a direct contact between the mountain bikers and the Open Space staff, as I represent you, that's why I want to hear what you and all of us say and want.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  26. #26
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    And by success he means huge turnout....I'd guess over 200 MTB's showed up. Next move is to have a governing body, a caucus, a smaller group of core volunteers come together in two weeks to further dicuss the issues/possible resolutions brought forth at the meeting
    Coordination and support through our local organizations is a good place to start. More in two weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    and find a coherent/proper manner to bring those issues to the table with JCOS.
    That would be your Trail Use Task Force biker representatives. We meet with Open Space staff and management directly, and they listen to us. They also encourage us to meet and communicate, for example, they allowed us to use their building tonight to meet in, free of charge. I had a 350 person meeting room reserved at the JeffCo fair grounds, but the fairgrounds wanted a $175 fee there.

    The Director of Open Space told me before this meeting tonight that development of North Table will not take place until usage increases. They are aware of our concerns over the restricted use policy they proposed (my handout sheet). We have more meetings. I do not want to see segregation of trail user groups through discrimination, as in exclusion from a property, but I also don't want to see a property/park developed improperly when its topography simply will not accomodate slicing it up into peices that do not corespond to the natural land features. In other words, their proposed North Table segregatred use plan that excludes us from an alternating half of that property every other day and disects the mesa in half is not destined for success in reality, instead, seems doomed to failure and increase of use conflicts. We hope to do everything we can to revisit this proposal before Open Space makes a serious mistake, setting a damaging precident in the process. As soon as I hear anything else, I will pass it along. It's an action item on my desk, not clutter.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 02-11-2005 at 01:10 AM.
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marinjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    228

    I thought the meeting was awesome

    I have been living in JeffCO for 4 years now and have been searching for a group of passionate cyclists to gather to discuss the future of our sport. The turnout was exceptional and if we can turn the passionate energy that was exhibited last night into something productive, proactive, and positive we may have a good shot wielding our collective power as cyclists in CO to make good change happen. I am the dude that brought up the topic of nightriding and pooling resources(not so eloquently, I lose composure after a 12 hour work day), and otherwise pita. Dave, I am very serious about being involved in this, I am soon to be a new dad (anyday now) so my time will be limited here for awhile-I plan to make the next meeting unless the baby comes then. Please keep me involved! Kirk, sorry I din't say hi, we have only met once and I wasn't sure who you were. Still on for a NR sometime?
    -J

  28. #28
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Yes...NR for sure...I figured who you were soon as you brought up the 24/7 access. I was the one who mentioned a little after you, they need to create more technical trails instead of 3 foot wide swaths of flatness...1 row back and about 6 chairs to the right of you.

  29. #29
    Addicted
    Reputation: SiberianYETI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    149
    I made it there...was pushing up a wall in the back row. Lots of good ideas (a few bad ones) but thought it was a great learning experience. I was very suprised by the makeup of our community too - nice mix from the entire age spectrum.

    It would be cool to have a big group going out on some saturday morning to do trail work/rider education/friendly hiker interaction at the various parks, to be followed by group rides in the afternoon. After what I saw last night I am confident we have the energy and desire to make the mountain bike community a positive force in Jeffco.

    To anyone who is going to be on the steering committee, I would recommend setting up a website and forum somewhere dedicated exclusively to this effort so that we all have a central place to go for information and feedback. I don't think we will have the same impact if all our communication is broken across 10 websites/email lists or is tucked deep down on a 3rd party website. Websites cost 5/month these days...

    Anyway, looking forward to what happens next!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: .thumper.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,240
    I will be attending the steering comittee / core organizers meetings and I own a small software company. I am willing to set up an interactive web site that will hopefully put in place a communication network as well as be a central place for local MTB issues. Right now, I'm trying to get information on how to do this, exactly.

  31. #31
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    I also have website space...it'd be off my domain, but it'd work. I'm sure we'll talk about it more at the next meeting. No need to figure it out now.

  32. #32
    I can't ride 45!
    Reputation: jasonb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper80202
    I will be attending the steering comittee / core organizers meetings and I own a small software company. I am willing to set up an interactive web site that will hopefully put in place a communication network as well as be a central place for local MTB issues. Right now, I'm trying to get information on how to do this, exactly.
    I will throw my hat into the ring -- I am a partner in a software development and hosting company. Depending on platform and development environment preferences I have the tools to create and host a site and some time I would be willing to dedicate to the project. JDub and I bantered about this as well. What are your thoughts on the site?

    jason

  33. #33
    Viva La Revolucion!!!
    Reputation: Frantix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Next move is to have a governing body, a caucus, a smaller group of core volunteers come together in two weeks to further dicuss the issues/possible resolutions brought forth at the meeting and find a coherent/proper manner to bring those issues to the table with JCOS.
    ^^^ what he said ^^^

    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianYETI
    To anyone who is going to be on the steering committee, I would recommend setting up a website and forum somewhere dedicated exclusively to this effort so that we all have a central place to go for information and feedback. I don't think we will have the same impact if all our communication is broken across 10 websites/email lists or is tucked deep down on a 3rd party website. Websites cost 5/month these days..
    ^^^ what he said ^^^

    Of course, Jeffco's great. But MTBers must be represented by MTBers -- all of them -- and we need a strong voice outside of the Jeffco system. The worst idea is to become absorbed into the JCOS system, and relegate our community to three guys who act as a couple of mountain biking rubber stamps.

    Our community's interests are not served by funneling its voice through a meek and unelected few. Jeffco needs to understand, and see, its mountain biking constituents. There are many; and many more than their weekday 10am to 2pm surveys will ever count. We need passion. We need representation. The more voices, the more organized, and the more committed -- the better. Thanks to Tim Morrison, Bicycle Colorado, IMBA, and all the folks who helped, attended, and put together a fantastic meeting last night.
    Last edited by Frantix; 02-11-2005 at 09:40 AM.

  34. #34
    Addicted
    Reputation: SiberianYETI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    149
    Domain Name = 8.95 (Remember the GoDaddy.com add from Super Bowl?)
    Web space = 2000mb space for 5.00 per month (others may know of better deals)
    Forum software = free

    Nothing against using someone's web space, but it would look much more professional if you punched up www.jeffcobikersarecool.com rather than http://www.yourdomainname.com/~jeffc...ool/index.html or whatever.

    As a web geek I am somewhat sensitive to things like this. I'm sure we'll have no shortage of volunteers for the web communication aspect of this project...and that is a good thing!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: .thumper.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,240
    I agree - we will be determining a name for this organization and the website's url would reflect the name of the organization.

  36. #36
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantix
    ^^^ what he said ^^^

    ^^^ what he said ^^^

    Of course, Jeffco's great. But MTBers must be represented by MTBers -- all of them -- and we need a strong voice outside of the Jeffco system. The worst idea is to become absorbed into the JCOS system, and relegate our community to three guys who act as a couple of mountain biking rubber stamps. Understand this: Our community is not served by funneling its voice through a meek and unelected few.
    I'm going to rip on you a bit here since you are unaware of the system yet. JeffCo Open Space will not meet with 100 or 200 of us in any formal meeting with an agenda. They can't listen and digest feedback from 100+ random people. That's why they want representatives. It works like any other type of representative, execpt in my case, nobody is in my pocket, I don't work for JeffCo, I have no special interests other than fair mountain biking access to the tax paying users (that would be us), and since I'm not representing any political organization or club, just mountain bikers in Jefferson County, I have nothing to gain here but experiencing some great rides.

    Now if we want to organize and funnel out input to them, we will be more successful. If you want to take matters into your own hands and start multiple independant efforts, they will not listen to us. I've been involved long enough to prove this.

    Go to the meeting in two months. Let's get more people involved. But when you talk of ignoring the established communiucation procedures, we go backwards. We saw that after Reynolds. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about this. Emotionally driven responses historically fail. Your reps change over time. If you want to get involved to this degree, do the research and integrate into the system to communicate. Reinventing the wheel isn't an option, but continually improving a process is.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 02-11-2005 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  37. #37
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantix
    Our community's interests are not served by funneling its voice through a meek and unelected few.
    I don't really agree with that statement. I see it as more of a two pronged attack. The trail task force will form one prong, we need to rely on them to do their part, then we do our part (whatever it may be...trail side education, trail building, showing up at meetings in masses with THE EXACT SAME AGENDA in mind)....

    I would quickly shy away from rejecting the one legitimized avenue of open communication we now have with JCOS.

  38. #38
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    agreed....

  39. #39
    Now Uploading
    Reputation: mtbdirteater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    I don't really agree with that statement. I see it as more of a two pronged attack. The trail task force will form one prong, we need to rely on them to do their part, then we do our part (whatever it may be...trail side education, trail building, showing up at meetings in masses with THE EXACT SAME AGENDA in mind)....

    I would quickly shy away from rejecting the one legitimized avenue of open communication we now have with JCOS.
    Well said, because we've tried it before and it failed each time. That is the reason I'm a Trail Use Task Force rep now. They set up the task force possitions to listen to them.

    It's complex situation, but the more you learn about it, the easier it is to understand it, and the more sense it makes. You're talking about communicating with a government here with procedures, but they are listening to us. This is all bigger than either you or me. We have to work together with the system we have and hope to improve what we can along the way. I've seen a lot of progress already. We've come a long way just since 2002.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust

  40. #40
    Addicted
    Reputation: SiberianYETI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    149
    For what its worth, I think our reps (such as Dave) have done a fantastic job so far - and while I can't vouch for their individual efforts (although simply being there is more than I can say for myself) they have managed to keep mountain biking in Jeffco as one of the premiere spots for riding. The fact that it is so close to a huge population, but is STILL open to multiple use speaks volumes for their efforts.

    Now, imagine how much better things will be when the rest of us line up behind him as well as have our own volunteers, informational meetings, and so on.

  41. #41
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,005
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    I will throw my hat into the ring -- I am a partner in a software development and hosting company. Depending on platform and development environment preferences I have the tools to create and host a site and some time I would be willing to dedicate to the project. JDub and I bantered about this as well. What are your thoughts on the site?

    jason
    I couldn't make the meeting last night, but I am very glad to get the recap today. Sounds like a great turnout, which is always a good thing. Numbers speak volumes to the commity types.

    As for the website stuff, I can lend a hand in development/upkeep as well. I'm a pro in Photoshop, SQL, some ASP skills, and I've done countless websites so if there is any of those things that are needed just let me know.

    Hoping to make the next meeting.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: marinjp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    228

    Throw out some names for what this group should

    be called. I can take ideas from this group to the meeting in two weeks
    I stayed up last night thinking about this:


    JCCA-Jefferson County Cycling Alliance
    JCCA-Jefferson County Cycling Advocates
    MBJC-Mountain Bike Jeff Co
    JCMBTA-Jeff Co Mountain Bikers for Trail Access


    Please add your ideas, no ideas will be dismissed. We will take all of them to the group to decide on whats best

  43. #43
    Addicted
    Reputation: SiberianYETI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    149
    Half serious here.

    JAMBA - Jeffco Alliance of Mountain Bike Advocates

  44. #44
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    There certianly is a big plus to having an acronym you can pronounce, no matter how funky it sounds.

  45. #45
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,005
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianYETI
    Half serious here.

    JAMBA - Jeffco Alliance of Mountain Bike Advocates
    A slight tweak suggestion

    JAMBA - JeffCo Area Mountain Bike Advocates

  46. #46
    Viva La Revolucion!!!
    Reputation: Frantix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    I'm going to rip on you a bit here since you are unaware of the system yet. JeffCo Open Space will not meet with 100 or 200 of us in any formal meeting with an agenda. They can't listen and digest feedback from 100+ random people. That's why they want representatives. It works like any other type of representative, execpt in my case, nobody is in my pocket, I don't work for JeffCo, I have no special interests other than fair mountain biking access to the tax paying users (that would be us), and since I'm not representing any political organization or club, just mountain bikers in Jefferson County, I have nothing to gain here but experiencing some great rides.

    Now if we want to organize and funnel out input to them, we will be more successful. If you want to take matters into your own hands and start multiple independant efforts, they will not listen to us. I've been involved long enough to prove this.

    Go to the meeting in two months. Let's get more people involved. But when you talk of ignoring the established communiucation procedures, we go backwards. We saw that after Reynolds. There's a right way and a wrong way to go about this. Emotionally driven responses historically fail. Your reps change over time. If you want to get involved to this degree, do the research and integrate into the system to communicate. Reinventing the wheel isn't an option, but continually improving a process is.

    Cheers,

    Dave
    You misunderstand me. I know all about the Trails Use Task Force. I'm not saying it should be abolished. I'm just saying mountain bikers need their own, mobilized organization apart from Jeffco. That works in conjuction with the Task Force and Jeffco. Perhaps that's JAMBA. Maybe it's IMBA. Perhaps it's Bicycle Colorado. But it needs to be its own entity that isn't absorbed into Jeffco.

    As a member of the Trails Use Task Force that should be good news to you, for whatever reason it isn't, frankly, concerns me, if you're our assigned mtb representative. Why aren't our mtb representative elected? Or at least endorsed by some minimum number of cycling community members (IMBA, other cycling organizations, bike shops, etc)?

  47. #47
    Addicted
    Reputation: SiberianYETI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    A slight tweak suggestion

    JAMBA - JeffCo Area Mountain Bike Advocates
    Yep, much better. Could even be Alliance rather than Advocates in that case. Meetings held once a month at Jamba Juice after our rides.

  48. #48
    Viva La Revolucion!!!
    Reputation: Frantix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    I don't really agree with that statement. I see it as more of a two pronged attack. The trail task force will form one prong, we need to rely on them to do their part, then we do our part (whatever it may be...trail side education, trail building, showing up at meetings in masses with THE EXACT SAME AGENDA in mind)....

    I would quickly shy away from rejecting the one legitimized avenue of open communication we now have with JCOS.
    I'm in full agreement with you.

  49. #49
    Bad Case of the Mondays
    Reputation: Jdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,005
    Quote Originally Posted by SiberianYETI
    Yep, much better. Could even be Alliance rather than Advocates in that case. Meetings held once a month at Jamba Juice after our rides.
    Yeah I thought about the Alliance or Advocay too. I like it.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,698

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frantix

    Our community's interests are not served by funneling its voice through a meek and unelected few. Jeffco needs to understand, and see, its mountain biking constituents. There are many; and many more than their weekday 10am to 2pm surveys will ever count. We need passion. We need representation. The more voices, the more organized, and the more committed -- the better. Thanks to Tim Morrison, Bicycle Colorado, IMBA, and all the folks who helped, attended, and put together a fantastic meeting last night.
    True in a way. At this point there are only volunteers to do the work, there is no organization as such to have representatives much less elections. In my experience, though, volunteers are quite a bit more passionate than elected officials.
    As an organization (JAMBA?) , WE will represent the mountain bike community to JeffCo, throughout the decision making process.
    The main point I came away with last night was we need representation. Hopefully that issue can be addressed at the next meeting.

    Het ibmkidIII was that you I spoke to about Green Mountain?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-07-2005, 11:22 PM
  2. Mountain biker road biking. My perspectives.
    By Gakster in forum Passion
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 09:44 AM
  3. Mountain Biker Hate Web Site!
    By Nevada in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 11-01-2004, 06:39 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •