tiny rider

JeffCo Conditions for 3/1?

I hope to get some dirt under the tires on Saturday.

Have any of you been out in the JeffCo parks recently? I expect Green Mt. will be ridable. I'm hoping that maybe the big climb at Mt. Falcon might be clear and (mostly) dry. How about parts of Apex? It sounds like Centennial Cone is likely to be ridable as well.

Thanks for the beta.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Unfortunately hikers are odd at CC on Saturday.

mtbr member
    I would say overall Jeffco is still a couple weeks away....assuming we have warm weather and no precip. Still a bunch of snow around Golden.

mtbr member

A whiny complaint about the Cone trail use policy

Quote Originally Posted by lanruss
    Unfortunately hikers are odd at CC on Saturday.
    Because I'm way too over-sensitive about the shared use policy at Centinenal Cone (from observation, I believe it's only enforced on bikers riding on hiker-only days and not vice versa), your post made me wonder:

What happens when a weekend has both an odd last day of the month on Saturday and the first day of the month on Sunday? I went to the JeffCo schedule and confirmed my suspicion- we get screwed. May 31st is a Saturday, June 1st is a Sunday and both are Hiker only days at the Cone.
    http://www.jeffco.us/jeffco/openspac...alendar_08.pdf

I realize, it only happens once this year but still... it sucks that we always get the short end of the stick when it comes to "sharing". Besides, I was totally planning on riding there that weekend. Now my whole summer is ruined! RUINED I say!

tiny rider
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    I realize, it only happens once this year but still... it sucks that we always get the short end of the stick when it comes to "sharing". Besides, I was totally planning on riding there that weekend. Now my whole summer is ruined! RUINED I say!
    Shave those legs and let 'er rip! The pavement is calling

Lanruss: Thanks for the reminder about the odd/even days.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Green is a go, mud in the usual spots remember kids ride through it not around it box o rox is a bit caked up just off the fire road. usual mud on the hayden side. Don't worry the mud washes off shaved legs better anyway! After all it is still Feb. Forests will be green and plush when all is said and done.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Box o' Rox is such a HEINOUS trail.

30 something dad
    Any report on Falcon?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    from observation, I believe it's only enforced on bikers riding on hiker-only days and not vice versa
    The last time I was there (parked at the northeast lot) there was a ranger hanging out and I watched her turn away a couple groups of hikers. YMMV
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Green Mountain--

I did what I call my "coming out of hibernation" loop. Starting at Rooney parking lot, lower loop heading southward, left turn up John Hayden (?), switchback after switchback up to the service road on top, left (west) to the top of the service road, down what I used to call The Rusty Sign Trail, now known as Box O' Rox I guess, down around the switchbacks, up and over to the service road again and back to the parking lot. Dry. Not just "dry enough" but dry. AKA Good To Go. Hit it before the snow on Sunday.
    Last edited by xcguy; 02-29-2008 at 04:18 PM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

friend of Apex
    Zorro up to Dakota is good. The ridge is a bit mushy in the saddle, but otherwise - pure gold.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

tiny rider
    quick report from mt Falcon

The early water bar area is muddy, the main climb is mostly in good shape with some snow pack in the expected places (only a spot or two are sketchy), and the road past the hut is more snow than not. The snow is sugary and makes traction a challenge.

In sum, I think you can ride without harming the trail. Probably not much reason to go past the hut.

Starting out:

North-facing traverse on the main climb:

Some dry trail!:

Snowy section nearing the shelter:

After the shelter, here's what the roads are like:

Finally, getting a bit sloppier on the way down near the water-bar area. Still not making deep ruts, though.

Hope you all hat fun out there!

Edit: pics added
    Last edited by cartographer; 03-01-2008 at 11:41 AM.

Nice report, thank you

Thread Terrorist
    Dakota ridge is mostly dry, enough that it won't cake up on your bike. Green Mountain is also mostly dry, good to go.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    just got back from matthews/winters. its a madhouse there. hikers everywhere. muddy,snowy. and alot of standing water. I would say hit dakota or GM .

mtbr member

N. Table Mtn is dry & tacky

I only hit this in the early season and I figured Green Mtn and Dakota Ridge were going to be crazy today, so I went a bit off the beaten path. It's not the most exciting trail in JeffCo, but it's got two puke-your-guts-out climbs and there's some fun to be had. At the very least, I don't have to clean my bike.

Single Malt

Maps?

Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I did what I call my "coming out of hibernation" loop. Starting at Rooney parking lot, lower loop heading southward, left turn up John Hayden (?), switchback after switchback up to the service road on top, left (west) to the top of the service road, down what I used to call The Rusty Sign Trail, now known as Box O' Rox I guess, down around the switchbacks, up and over to the service road again and back to the parking lot. Dry. Not just "dry enough" but dry. AKA Good To Go. Hit it before the snow on Sunday.
    Where can I get a map showing the trails in the Green Mtn. area. I grew up there, and I'm coming to visit the folks. Doable on 29er SS??

Best is to just hit the mountain and come up with your own loops, everything is ridable on a single 32 X 18 i ride and only a couple short climbs i have to walk. Just explore, that whole mountain is full of hidden, often under-rated singletrack. Not too tech but a good training route if you live close by.