mtbr member
    Jan 2004

JCOS TUTF/TUF Meeting Tonight

FYI... Jefferson County Open Space admin. is hosting a meeting of the Trail Users Forum (TUF) tonight. TUF is the new name for the Trail Users Task Force (TUTF). The agenda can be found here: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/jeffco..._17_11__2_.pdf.

An important area of discussion will be the purpose of TUF going forward so if you want to be heard, now's you chance. See you tonight.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    the purpose of TUF going forward

Purpose: Change the name, so you don't have to change the rules.

Pfftttt.... Been there, done that, put a fork in it.

mtbr member
    i'm out of state, but i'd be curious to hearwhat JCOS's puppets talked about if anyone cares to post a sumary. thanks in advance - for attending!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I thought the real issue was the who/how/where/when of choosing representatives for each user group? since the one(s) who was supposed to be representing MTB'rs wrote on MTBR that he wasn't really there to represent bikers....

I didn't see anything related to that on the agenda.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There's not a lot of detail to report but I can tell you good things are happening inside of JCOS. Director Tom Hoby and staff have a clear vision for the future of Open Space and while you may not agree with everything, overall I think it's positive. You must have patience though. Change takes time especially when it's a government agency.

TUF is going to change as well. Exactly what it will look like 6 to 12 months from now has yet to be determined but it will be different. This includes the who, what, where, how and when of selecting user group reps and what role the user groups and TUF in general, will play.

I'm encouraged and optimistic about the future and no, I don't have the rose colored glasses on. It's raining outside.

not actually bad :)
    Any update on the night use bullet I saw on the agenda?
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Andy,

JCOS was ready to nix the night-use plan because there was disagreement within the user groups regarding some of the details -- namely when, where and how often. It took a little pleading, but we got him to reconsider on a very simple basis for 2011: each user group can plan one night-use event based on the locations and times outlined previously by JCOS staff.

For now, the options are White Ranch (west/upper entrance), Matthews Winters and Mt. Falcon (east/lower lot). From March - October, an event could go until 11 p.m. It will require a special event permit and there are some additional rules and requirements. At this point in time, the event will need to be run through one of the local advocacy groups and be closely coordinated with JCOS and TUF user groups. I've talked very preliminarily to COMBA about helping put on such an event for mtbers this year. It's too soon to say if it will happen, but the intention is to get something off the ground. It'd be a blast to go ride Falcon at night.

I think, ultimately, we'll have to live with this approach this year. I'm confident we can demonstrate that it can be done safely and without any major problems or impacts to the park, wildlife or JCOS staff. As we get JCOS more comfortable with the idea, my hope (and that's all it is right now) is that we'll see some additional movement on this down the line, but progress will probably be slower than a lot of us would like.

Regarding the "evolution" of TUF/TUFT, I think there is some interesting movement on that front, though there really aren't a lot of details at this point in time. JCOS Director Tom Hoby made it clear that he wants to some changes for the group that bring it in line with other JCOS volunteer-type activities, including a defined mission, additional structure and clear accountability, while retaining the core function of the panel. He's asked a small group (the members are still being identified, but it will be less than 10 people) to work with JCOS staff and OSAC members to help develop a reform plan over the next 3-5 months. That's all the news there is on this front now, but I think there will be more in the coming months. I've volunteered to be part of the group and I'll certainly share additional information as it becomes available.

Speaking only for myself, I support the move and believe it is a positive step toward addressing some of the issues that many within the Jefferson County riding community have identified for a long time. Many of the other members of TUF, however, across all user groups understandably have reservations. A lot of work and thought will need to go into creating a new framework that meets the goals of JCOS and satisfies the various user group constituencies. The devil is in the details, will just have to wait until there are some details before there is much more to say.

As always, feel free to hit me up with a PM or email with questions or comments.

Kyle Henley
    TUF MTB Rep

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    It'd be a blast to go ride Falcon at night.

Kyle Henley
    TUF MTB Rep

Well now you only have one hour after sunset- better ride fast!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog