Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

JCOS - I'm calling you out.

I know you're reading this board JCOS representatives, or at least you ought to be, as at any given time there are 200-odd trail users assembled here making this is an excellent place for you to gather ideas & information and better manage our open spaces. I'm mean, that's what you're for, right? To serve us and manage our open spaces as we feel appropriate? So recognizing that you work for the citizenry, let's have an eco-friendly e-meeting.

I'll start:

I'm under the assumption you can't just make up regs out of thin air, so how did the new yielding regulations you've sprung on us get developed and codified? Who or what committee is the author? Did you ask for public review or comment? In the field, it seems you've charged your rangers with enforcing a policy that is not well thought out; one which they have differing & disjointed interpretations of; and one that appears to be unfairly & ignorantly meted out. Based on that, it gives every appearance that this was poorly organized and more likely an issue of management fiat & bias rather than properly developed through the greater user & JCOS community.

I & many other taxpayers await & expect your response.

Sincerely,
    Don Ferris
    JCOS Trail User
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    ...I'm mean...
    I'll second that notion.

_MK

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    excellent use of the word 'fiat'.

Colorado
    This is almost as bad as TGR forum users thinking they should get sponsored for posting Trip Reports.

No Government Agency gives a flying phuck about what anyone posts here.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    This is almost as bad as TGR forum users thinking they should get sponsored for posting Trip Reports.

And that's the problem, they, along with you, have forgotten who they work for.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Your retarded
    I hope that's not true. It's in their best interests to listen to a user group like us. If we are passionate enough to lurk mountain bike forums just for a small hit of the passion we share toward the sport/hobby, we are also passionate enough to spend all our spare time and money on bikes and trails. We're quite the loyal and devoted user group under that logic. It's in their best interests to listen to us, IMO.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Emailed to JCOS, specifically, 'trockatjeffco.us'.....
    This email concerns the seemingly disjointed and poorly planned yielding regulation that has seen many mountain bikers using JCOS trails fined. There are two open forum discussions currently ongoing regarding this issue. You can find them here,

Rangers enforcing Yield Rules at Lair O' the Bear

and here,

Please openly respond and address these issues as soon as possible.

Cheers!
    Don Ferris
    Littleton, Colorado

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Emailed to JCOS, specifically, 'trockatjeffco.us'.....
    This email concerns the seemingly disjointed and poorly planned yielding regulation that has seen many mountain bikers using JCOS trails fined. There are two open forum discussions currently ongoing regarding this issue. You can find them here,

Rangers enforcing Yield Rules at Lair O' the Bear

and here,

Please openly respond and address these issues as soon as possible.

Cheers!
    Don Ferris
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hmm, not sure what to say to that. Not sure I want to be represented as a mountain biker by some of the fool responses posted here. Here's hoping your "plan" works.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by jugdish
    Hmm, not sure what to say to that. Not sure I want to be represented as a mountain biker by some of the fool responses posted here. Here's hoping your "plan" works.
    None of us are perfect, we are what we are, which makes us just like them & everybody else. They know about the threads and the issues. If they choose not to respond, we'll know one more thing about them and be better informed to make corrections down the line. The important thing to remember is we are not powerless, they work for the citizenry, we pay their salaries, and we have every right to make demands of them.

icegeek is hot
    Not sure I want to be represented as a mountain biker by some of the fool responses posted here.
    Well, whether you like it or not, whether you realize it or not, you are. And were long before DWF posted this thread.

Thanks DWF for taking action.

Yappy little dog!
    Absolutely 100% agree with you. This is NOT a well organized or run group of individuals. Heck, the in-fighting is enough to send Superman running for the hills.

Team Evergreen, CoMBA, BMA, Bicycle Colorado, and even IMBA are where you should be directing your efforts. That's why people pay to be members of those organizations. They should be the one's fighting for your rights as an organized and well connected group. NOT the heathens that run amok in this forum. You are doing a dis-service by sending that message and having them come here.

Colorado
    I agree. With people like me asking about "Top Secret Freeride Trails"... what were you thinking? (I'm being serious)

icegeek is hot
    I agree. With people like me asking about "Top Secret Freeride Trails"... what were you thinking? (I'm being serious)
    Are you naive enough to think Jeffco doesn't routinely read this board?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by TVC15
    Are you naive enough to think Jeffco doesn't routinely read this board?

Are you naive enough to think they actually even know this board exists? Do you have any idea how much open space needs to be maintained on a daily basis and the size of JCOS staff? How many do you think actually have desk jobs in the first place. How many of those do you think are actually even outdoors types? Take a trip over to the JCOS HQ and give a glance in one day. Say hi to Grammy for me. Wow!

Colorado
    Maybe so.

In my mind I just can't see some old men, who work in the Open Space Department, who likely don't even mountain bike, who likely aren't very good with computers, lurking through MTBR forums trying to spy, or obtain information... of what type I can't even guess.

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Are you naive enough to think they actually even know this board exists?
    Yes, and I know for a fact at least two of them who do, so I'm not sure the word naive applies to me.

Do you have any idea how much open space needs to be maintained on a daily basis and the size of JCOS staff? How many do you think actually have desk jobs in the first place. How many of those do you think are actually even outdoors types? Take a trip over to the JCOS HQ and give a glance in one day. Say hi to Grammy for me. Wow!
    You dear, are perhaps the single worst advocate for any of your beloved causes, mtb- or music-related, so I take your commentary on this point with a grain of salt the size of Mt. Falcon.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Team Evergreen, CoMBA, BMA, Bicycle Colorado, and even IMBA
    Yep, this issue is best dealt with by folks who have experience dealing with managing agencies. that doesn't mean that the "rank and file" shouldn't be involved and giving their input, but it does mean that there are certain avenues that should be taken that will get a lot better results than "calling out" a government agency on an Internet chat forum.

You're right DWF that the folks at JCOS salaries are paid by taxpayers, and that includes hikers, horseback riders, and everyone else, not just mountain bikers. I've found over the years that groups do a lot better when they loose the "I'm a taxpayer" chip on their shoulder.

That's not to say that there doesn't need to be regulations that make sense for everyone that are enforced in an even handed, professional way. If that is not the case, then there absolutely needs to be a change. You'll be a lot better off, though, if you talk to the folks at IMBA or any of the other organizations listed above and have this dealt with in an effective way. There is obviously a lot of energy here, it would be a shame to see it not used in a way that doesn't get results.

Yappy little dog!
    Yes, and I know for a fact at least two of them who do, so I'm not sure the word naive applies to me.
    Really? Hang on...

Just got off the phone with Wifey. I had her walk next door and check how many people were surfing MTBR. Let's see...

ZERO POINT ZERO and a big "what's MTBR?"

Sorry to disappoint you but MTBR is not very relevant, even in the MTB world. Get over it, you'll feel much better.

You dear, are perhaps the single worst advocate for any of your beloved causes, mtb-related or music-related, so I take your commentary with a grain of salt the size of Mt. Falcon.
    Really, again?

I think my causes and the band are doing just fine, thank you. MTBR hasn't hurt my business. As someone overheard me saying, maybe that's why I stick around.

gravity curmudgeon
    I think that most land managers do care what their users think. Reading a forum like this could be a useful way to gain insight into what some of a specific user group are thinking. However, if I worked for JCOS (or any other land management agency), I sure wouldn't post here. It would be like a slam bam fest.

I appears to me that the Front Range is going through yet another growing phase. Vistor use conflicts on trails is heating up everywhere, but for you guys the issue is exacerbated by lots and lots of users. Becoming active with JCOS and/or working with a cycling advocacy group is the only real opportunity.

JCOS's latest ranger-led mtb crackdown sounds bizarre and arbitrary to me. Crazy stuff. In a general sense it seems that the control freaks have somehow taken over - not a pleasant thought.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    That's not to say that there doesn't need to be regulations that make sense for everyone that are enforced in an even handed, professional way. If that is not the case, then there absolutely needs to be a change. You'll be a lot better off, though, if you talk to the folks at IMBA or any of the other organizations listed above and have this dealt with in an effective way. There is obviously a lot of energy here, it would be a shame to see it not used in a way that doesn't get results.

Sanity in an insane world. You are my hero .

mtbr member
    I think the COMBA and the other organizations listed here have had a chance. They are representing us and yet OUR trails are still being turned into Wash Park style rides and now we've got the issue of this ridiculous Yield enforcement/harrassment.

We can inundate JCOS, we can send more money to IMBA and COMBA etc, we can suck it up and get K-Mart bikes and white helmets, we just can't continue to do the same thing we've been doing and expect anything positive to occur.

icegeek is hot
    MTBR hasn't hurt my business.
    Really? Then what explains your meltdown about the dates selected for RMH? Just a wee bit hormonal that day?

Look, ya'll can't take a leadership role in mtb community matters, complain about the lack of rider involvement, and then quell involvement and interest because it didn't go through your prescribed channels.

Let's capitalize on this. We can capitalize on this. This isn't about a pecking order or who's in charge. This is about fixing stuff that needs fixing. So, let's get with it already.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1942
    I think the COMBA and the other organizations listed here have had a chance. They are representing us and yet OUR trails are still being turned into Wash Park style rides and now we've got the issue of this ridiculous Yield enforcement/harrassment.

We can inundate JCOS, we can send more money to IMBA and COMBA etc, we can suck it up and get K-Mart bikes and white helmets, we just can't continue to do the same thing we've been doing and expect anything positive to occur.
    Nice troll! I like it! Keep 'em coming!

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Really? Hang on...

Just got off the phone with Wifey. I had her walk next door and check how many people were surfing MTBR. Let's see...

ZERO POINT ZERO and a big "what's MTBR?"

Sorry to disappoint you but MTBR is not very relevant, even in the MTB world. Get over it, you'll feel much better.
    Maybe you could call Wifey back, ask her to walk over one more time and inform the uniformed about this...

_MK

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    Maybe you could call Wifey back, ask her to walk over one more time and inform the uniformed about this...

_MK
    No, you see it's more important that he be right and be in charge, than actually fix the problem at hand.

When this band thing flops, maybe he can get a job enforcing nonsensical yield rules at LOB.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast