Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

JCOS - The Good Vibe

I had a great ride at Apex today (so nice to have that back…even phase 1)! Afterward, I talked to a few of the main JCOS trail guys (really good guys) for 40 minutes or so. Being a native here and having formerly worked for JCOS it was good to hear about the current state of things. I got some great info that I wanted to pass along regarding JCOS’s future and why we at MTB’s should be stoked and continue to support them in any way we can:

First, the new Director is very MTB friendly and these guys were saying that we should be really happy with him and that he is an MTB advocate himself.

Second, they talked about MTBers being the most organized user group by far and having a huge voice. They also have noted the amount of help and cooperation from COMBA, IMBA, Yeti, Wheat Ridge Cyclery and the MTB community at large. They encourage us to continue to stay so involved as it has, is, and will continue to be VERY beneficial to us to do so.

Third, they talked about flood recovery efforts. They said that there are some big plans coming in the next 5 years (I’ll get to that below) but that first they are basically going to lose a year to flood recovery. This is focused mainly now at Lair O’ The Bear, Apex and White Ranch. There may be some reroutes and reworks (some on Apex and Mustang at WR), but no closed trails excepting the possibility of Wrangler’s Run at WR (not shocking as it was a short trail that followed a river bed basically. Personally, I get the rationale behind this if it happens and won’t miss that trail.)

Finally, they talked a bit about the next big projects coming in the new 5 year plan (which should be out in a few months to the public). This is all awesome stuff and basically, ALL these new plans include MTB. Of course timelines are not out yet but here’s a list of what’s coming by what I perceive to be priority and/or chronological order:

1. A goal to have 25 miles of NEW trail (so not including any flood reroutes it sounded like) every 5 years.

2. Reynolds park opening Colorado Trail 10 mile connector opening up to MTB! This is hopefully this year 2014 sometime. The plan sounds like some trails will stay hiker only but a lot of new MTB trail as well. This is HUGE I think. I used to ride that park before the closure to MTB’s and the fact that it’s opening again in any capacity is great and MTB advocacy groups really helped in this.

3. Mammoth Lot connector trail. A trail is planned to connect the upper Mammoth lot at the hogback under I-70 to the main MW trailhead. This will be a small trail but will expand parking options.

4. White Ranch / Golden Gate Canyon connector. Yep, these guys were really positive about this happening. This will be an epic ride!

5. A NEW park geared heavily toward MTB near Morrison. Yes! Very cool. Apparently there is IMBA involvement and money in this one and the town of Morrison is heavily invested as they want more singletrack near town. Stay tuned on this one but sounds really promising!

6. So although this is most likely years away, they do still plan to have a multi-use park right up Coal Creek where JCOS has a decent parcel of land. Again, no timeframe at all on that but it is being discussed.

7. In addition to all this, two more things of note (though not MTB) are paved path expansions. The first is a path that is still being discussed from Tucker lake in west Arvada up to Boulder. Plans for this hinge on what may or may not happen with the northwest parkway. The second very cool thing is what they are calling “Plains to Peaks” which is the expansion of the Clear Creek Bike Path in Golden up Clear Creek with spurs to Central City and Idaho Springs. So although that’s a path…it would still be really cool.

8. Oh, and as a final note, they are also looking at expanding access to and formalizing some climbing options on JCOS land. Sort of cool for those that do that as well.

9. Finally, they said there is land on the hogback that currently has not official trails on it that could possibly be developed and has been discussed. (Think MW / Apex connector) They commented on how a few letters to JCOS might help move things in this direction since it could be an easy trail build for them. If you do write a letter, however, it may be best just to do it from a general trail user perspective rather than “I want a sick MTB trail” perspective. Anyway, if you are so inclined…

So, that pretty much sums it up but I wanted to pass along the stoke because although all this does take time it’s also exciting. Also, it is great to hear what a valued user group we are and that the new Director is very MTB friendly!

Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    I love the forward thinking and goals of 25 miles of trail a year. Lets hope this new administration JCOS has a long and successful tenure. Great work to all the guys and gals out there making a good name for MTBer's on the front range.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Great info, thanks!!

mtbr member
    Good stuff- thanks for sharing.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GL1 View Post
    Also, it is great to hear what a valued user group we are and that the new Director is very MTB friendly!

Happy Trails!
    Wonder how we route a few cases of beer or whiskey his way? Ya know... just in case he gets thirsty while organizing and strategizing for new trails?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Cautiously optimistic I will be...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I thought JCOS was "anti fun" and "anti MTB" At least that's what some posters here say. It's good to hear another side.

650b me
    Thanks for the stoke! If JCOS accomplishes even half of your list, we will have a lot to be thankful for. I'm particularly stoked about the Reynolds Park-CO Trail connector and the Plains to Peaks extension up Clear Creek Canyon.

Stand back
    Construction on the I Spgs end of the paved trail through Clear Creek Canyon has already begun. 6 mil to cover the 5 miles in between tunnel 6 and Mayhem Gulch.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I am happy to see that Jeffco is still committed to the sport, unlike Boulder.

There is *massive* potential on the JCOS properties in Coal Creek Canyon, but there are a ton of issues, including short connectors across private property. With a few issues ironed out, the connector between White Ranch and Golden Gate, and some cooperation from the State Park, there could be at least a forty-mile loop starting and ending at the base of Coal Creek Canyon. It would go along the tracks south from Highway 72 at the base, across the tracks into the NE corner of WR, through WR to the connector, through Golden Gate to the far NE corner of the park above the Ralston Creek headwaters (new trail necessary), then down through the new acquisition above the Blue Mountain subdivision. Don't hold your breath though. Most of us will be dead before that happens.

not actually bad :)
    Any info on what's going on by the NTM lot and 93? I thought I remembered rumblings of a bike path. That looks like a possibility, but it looks like too much dirt being moved for that?
    Old Codger

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    I thought JCOS was "anti fun" and "anti MTB" At least that's what some posters here say. It's good to hear another side.
    Squeaky wheel get's the grease.... if things are changing for the better then it would stand to reason that they are changing because some people are not afraid to stand up and speak out. Why flog them?

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

JCOS - The Good Vibe

Quote Originally Posted by bad_andy View Post
    Any info on what's going on by the NTM lot and 93? I thought I remembered rumblings of a bike path. That looks like a possibility, but it looks like too much dirt being moved for that?
    So this did come up briefly and they said lot expansion was necessary so though they didn't say for sure I think that's what it is. Since I live off NTM they asked if I had seen the 93 lot last Sat which I had. It was overflowing and people were parking on the road. Part of that is just seasonal and what happens to the lower/exposed/dry parks on a nice spring day. Come summer that lot is never that full. Still though it sounded like they wanted to be prepared for those days when it's like that.

So this did come up briefly and they said lot expansion was necessary so though they didn't say for sure I think that's what it is. Since I live off NTM they asked if I had seen the 93 lot last Sat which I had. It was overflowing and people were parking on the road. Part of that is just seasonal and what happens to the lower/exposed/dry parks on a nice spring day. Come summer that lot is never that full. Still though it sounded like they wanted to be prepared for those days when it's like that.
    That's what I figured. And that's my take as well. I wonder if they considered just putting up signs directing people to the old lot if that would help for those days. I suppose that lot is probably full then too, though. And I know this part isn't jeffco's responsibility but the no left turn out of the current lot is a joke.
    IF people obey that, they just go a few hundred yards up 93 into the dirt pullout and illegally turn left onto 93 from there.
    I love all the new stuff they have planned! Hope it all comes to fruition sooner than assumed.
    Old Codger

friend of Apex
    One can critique and still be supportive of an organization, no?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    Squeaky wheel get's the grease.... if things are changing for the better then it would stand to reason that they are changing because some people are not afraid to stand up and speak out. Why flog them?
    Exactly
    Keep on squeakin, folks.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    FWIW, I think it's totally legit that some posters here have had the feeling that JCOS has been less than supportive of the MTB community in the past. Because it's true (and people who have worked in the organization past and present will tell you the same). But that's the past. We have new leadership and lots of new blood and lots of great plans looking forward. I think Tom Hoby is going to change a lot of people's position about JCOS over the next bunch of years, and I hope more and more of us become involved in that process (because they're also going to be developing more opportunities for public involvement).

Tom's just a dude. If you want to show your support, drop off some beer/ whiskey, whatever to show your appreciation- I say go for it. Or send him an e-mail just to say thanks. thoby@jeffco.us.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Build Advocate Educate
    perhaps the "old" JCOS, but we have spent years developing relationships!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by COMBA.org View Post
    perhaps the "old" JCOS, but we have spent years developing relationships!
    Exactly. I'll wager that the folks who spend all the time and effort developing relationships make a much bigger difference in outcomes than those who snipe from the margins, throwing un or semi informed platitudes, conspiracy theories and one sided arguments, (there are always two sides to an argument/story/situation and it behooves anyone who wants to be effective to at least try to understand the other side, even if you don't agree with it.)

Which isn't to say there isn't and should be plenty of room for public comment and debate, but every land manager I've ever worked with knows one has to sift through a lot of periphery noise to get to any substantial comment and people/groups that can be productive partners. People who scream might get a lot of attention, but only for screaming, not for what they have to say which is usually lost in the high volume rhetoric.

The interwebz is a double edge sword. Usually there is good information out there if you look for it but more often it's the source of viral rumors that feed on their own momentum. Too many people - and yes, sometimes it can be on the land managers side - have large chips on their shoulders - people tend to be invested in their own narrow agendas and prejudice. Often we'll type in if not a a frenzy and least a tizzy and hit send before thinking things through. I know I've been guilty of it over the years although I try to be mindful of being more open and thoughtful.

mtbr member
    Zrm, I agree with what you say, but think without the loud screamers, the quiet relationship builders wouldn't get the respect they deserve. Like a good cop/bad cop routine. I don't think the land managers would look for someone to build a relationship with if the loud ones didn't start the conversation with their shouting.

mtbr member
    Very cool, thank you!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    Exactly. I'll wager that the folks who spend all the time and effort developing relationships make a much bigger difference in outcomes than those who snipe from the margins, .... Often we'll type in if not a a frenzy and least a tizzy and hit send before thinking things through. I know I've been guilty of it over the years although I try to be mindful of being more open and thoughtful.
    You have a seat at the table because someone somewhere stood up and said they want a seat at the table or else...

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

JCOS - The Good Vibe

The JCOS guys said that our masses and organized approach have spoken loudly among those in power at JCOS...especially the involvement of COMBA and IMBA (so if you can't represent with your time send these organizations a few bucks once a year as they represent on our interests on our behalves).

Also, representing yourself as a general user and taxpayer holds weight as well and when taking this approach I think diplomacy has merit.

I also should relay that they talked about how an MTBer was caught letting air out of a JCOS bus tire when they were at a trailhead last year doing clean-up. This was apparently some statement against their "sanitization" efforts which we all have opinions on but I think are sometimes necessary and as we all know don't last forever anyway...which they also joked about. At any rate, that kind of action did not bode well for any of us. See the main thing I got from these guys is that they have a job to do and are paid and evaluated on making that trail sustainable and durable enough to hold up to all the user groups over an extended period of time. They don't favor any one user group and love to hear that their work is appreciated as any of us do. If they can enhance our specific MTB experience while balancing their job requirements that's awesome and they actually like suggestions (within reason...I too would love an EF full of skinnies.) But this is their job and they have specific goals that are broader than our interests alone but also certainly don't exclude them.

They summed up our conversation by assuring me that MTB's are an important user group and that the future for us is bright at JCOS parks...and might even surpass many of our expectations eventually. But, they also joked about how the Front Range has nothing for the DH crowd ala Trestle and how that is needed. One of them looked up at the Alpine Slide chairlift and said, "I always wondered..." I replied, "Funny, me too."

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    One can critique and still be supportive of an organization, no?
    Funny coming from you.

I also should relay that they talked about how an MTBer was caught letting air out of a JCOS bus tire when they were at a trailhead last year doing clean-up. This was apparently some statement against their "sanitization" efforts...
    I am starting to think this is a wives tale. Have heard this for years at trail work days, and it's always "last year" that it happened.
    Old Codger

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    Funny coming from you.
    You maaaaad bro?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast