mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Japanese Tsunami---a year later

In case you've forgotten:

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

I did it all for the kudo
    Really???
    Seriously bro, one mountain biker to another. Hop on your bike and go for a ride, it's as fun as you probably remember.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Really???
    Seriously bro, one mountain biker to another. Hop on your bike and go for a ride, it's as fun as you probably remember.
    Where's the smiley for spraying your screen with coffee!, or perhaps get off empty beer and get a life

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    WTF dude! Can you get any weirder or off topic? Put up (ride a bike) or shut up.

You should volunteer for the trail school. If you are not going to ride a bike, at least you can build me some new trail. Make yourself useful, why don't ya?

banned
    clicked on this thread for moar lulz

it did not disappoint

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    This is great, I got both Mr. Snob and KC to respond. Success, I guess. And lucky for me I can't read either of their responses because, well, you know...
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    That is just insane. I would be scared that the building I was on top of would collapse. Such a tragedy.

starladear
    Feb 2004
    That's amazing..

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I used to think a tsunami was just one big azz wave that washed over an area, messed things up, then it was over. Any video I see of this event, nobody taking the vid knew what was going to happen. The water just kept rising and rising and coming harder and harder. Everything they knew was being destroyed.

!Vamos, flaco!
    I love everyone filming the destruction. When the Four Horsemen come, everyone's going to be too busy trying to film it on their phones to try to do anything about it. Sure, this comment has nothing to do with mountain biking on the Front Range either, but when in Rome ...
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Big B's Trails
    thats insane, cant imagine standing on top of that building watching EVERYTHING below you being washed away
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Looking at the water, it almost looks like it'd be fun to take a kayak and play in the waves (if I kayak'd), if there wasn't soooo many things in that water that can kill you (SO quickly)...like trucks and buildings, never mind the chemicals!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    This is great, I got both Mr. Snob and KC to respond. Success, I guess. And lucky for me I can't read either of their responses because, well, you know...

even moar lulz

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That is crazy.

The fallout from the tsunami still continues, literally, at Fukushima. You don't hear much about it now, but they still don't have any idea whether cores have melted through the outer containment or not. The real impact of the meltdowns won't be known for decades.

Japan has shut down all but one of its 54 nuke plants.

Fukushima Update | Tracking Japan's nuclear crisis

Rolling
    Many thousand bikes
    Washed out to sea so far
    xcguy takes note.

--Chinese proverb translated to Haiku..

(He can't see this for obvious reasons)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    lidarman up late
    constructs incorrect haiku
    try five seven five

Rolling
    lidarman up late
    constructs incorrect haiku
    try five seven five

Joke's on you...lost in translation.

BTW, haiku has no strict rule. It's the essence that matters. 5-7-5 is simply a general rule.

"The essence of haiku is "cutting" (kiru). This is often represented by the juxtaposition of two images or ideas and a kireji ("cutting word") between them, a kind of verbal punctuation mark which signals the moment of separation and colours the manner in which the juxtaposed elements are related.

Traditional haiku consist of 17 on (also known as morae), in three phrases of 5, 7 and 5 on respectively. Any one of the three phrases may end with the kireji. Although haiku are often stated to have 17 syllables, this is incorrect as syllables and on are not the same.

A kigo (seasonal reference), usually drawn from a saijiki, an extensive but defined list of such words. The majority of kigo, but not all, are drawn from the natural world. This, combined with the origins of haiku in pre-industrial Japan, has led to the inaccurate impression that haiku are necessarily nature poems.

Modern Japanese gendai (現代) haiku are increasingly unlikely to follow the tradition of 17 on or to take nature as their subject, but the use of juxtaposition continues to be honoured in both traditional haiku and gendai. There is a common, although relatively recent, perception that the images juxtaposed must be directly observed everyday objects or occurrences."

-Wikipedia reference.

Besides, one could argue whether 'washed' is one or two syllables. 'xcguy' is definitely three.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.

Stiff yet compliant
    I have a bad cold and have been haikuing all night. 5-6-7 times in a row.

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I fear we haven't seen the worst from this crisis yet. We still haven't accepted the magnitude of the catastrophe or epic failure of modern engineering.

Fukushima Daiichi Site: Cesium-137 is 85 times greater than at Chernobyl Accident » Akio Matsumura

"Japan’s former Ambassador to Switzerland, Mr. Mitsuhei Murata, was invited to speak at the Public Hearing of the Budgetary Committee of the House of Councilors on March 22, 2012, on the Fukushima nuclear power plants accident. Before the Committee, Ambassador Murata strongly stated that if the crippled building of reactor unit 4—with 1,535 fuel rods in the spent fuel pool 100 feet (30 meters) above the ground—collapses, not only will it cause a shutdown of all six reactors but will also affect the common spent fuel pool containing 6,375 fuel rods, located some 50 meters from reactor 4. In both cases the radioactive rods are not protected by a containment vessel; dangerously, they are open to the air."

"Based on U.S. Energy Department data, assuming a total of 11,138 spent fuel assemblies are being stored at the Dai-Ichi site, nearly all, which is in pools. They contain roughly 336 million curies (~1.2 E+19 Bq) of long-lived radioactivity. About 134 million curies is Cesium-137 — roughly 85 times the amount of Cs-137 released at the Chernobyl accident as estimated by the U.S. National Council on Radiation Protection (NCRP). The total spent reactor fuel inventory at the Fukushima-Daichi site contains nearly half of the total amount of Cs-137 estimated by the NCRP to have been released by all atmospheric nuclear weapons testing, Chernobyl, and world-wide reprocessing plants (~270 million curies or ~9.9 E+18 Becquerel)."

Rigid in Evergreen
    +insert tragedy here+---a year later

+insert video here+

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    +insert tragedy here+---a year later

+insert video here+
    F!kn' Ay, a little music for ya Saturday evening.