Shread Ready

I've had it with these snakes on these mother f-ing trails

Just thought it's been kind of unusual that I've seen so many snakes this season. Just bunny hopped the tail end of one that was crossing the path as I was going down Pick N Sledge at APEX this morning. It was probably about 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 ft. I warned about 3 people in the process of riding. One of them a chick about 50 ft down from after I jumped it. She was like not uh. And I was like yep seriously. Then I warned a Hiker about 100 ft down.

I also saw one at White Ranch about a month ago and drove around one crossing the road by Hall. Probably Bull snakes but not sure. Also saw a few the end of last season on Picture Rock Trail. Just thought it was strange I've seen so many recently in the FR. Be careful out there.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The snakes have been around a lot longer than we have.

I think I can.

Sounds Biblical

Look for spiders and insects next I guess.

By the way what kind of snake, something to be afraid of?
    Or just SNAKES!!!!

Enjoy your summer

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    It must be your year Thrasher....

I had been riding for 10 years and not seen much other than deer, elk, etc. and then last summer I had my 'snake' year. 2 at Deer Creek, 2 at Waterton, and 1 Matthews/Winters all between June-Aug.

I really don't want to see anymore either

Alaskan in exile.
    I've seen a few bull snakes lately. I'm ok with that though; more bull snakes usually means less vermin and rattlesnakes.
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

Rolling
    Those things need to be put on a leash.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I wear my shin/knee protectors when I go into snake country, cuts down the strike zone a little.

Hairshirt Rider
    snake
    snake
    not a snake
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've had it with these snakes on these mother f-ing trails-pueblo-006.jpg  

I've had it with these snakes on these mother f-ing trails-pueblo-015.jpg  

I've had it with these snakes on these mother f-ing trails-pueblo-030.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I like snakes, as a rule. I don't like baby rattlers hanging around on a trail, as a rule. I warned some hikers on Deer Creek last year that I'd seen two baby rattlers, at two different locations lounging around on the trail, just watch out. I shoved those baby rattlers off the trail with a loooooong stick.

What was the father's reaction? "Oh, well, it's ok, they won't hurt anybody". This is a guy with two small kids with him. WTF, dude. You want to AVOID these little rattlers, trust me. Your kids have to know this. He got all prissy and I just left shaking my head.

I like snakes. But I give rattlers a wide berth, baby rattlers a very wide berth. They'll hit you with everything they've got, they just don't know how powerful they are. Grown rattlers might give you 1/2 of one fang's venom just to show you who's boss.

Bull snakes? I love 'em. Beautiful creatures. Got to know the difference, though, between them and a rattler.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I dunno... the rattler I ran across in Waterton seemed pretty docile. I was less than 2 feet away from him and he wasn't even rattling...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm pretty much in agreement with SS, I have had several encounters with bull and rattlers, mostly in/around Waterton Canyon, Rox Loop, Indian loops, deer creek, etc.

Yes you should be cautious but they definitely will won't keep me from riding those or other trails.

BTW, were you shuttling Apex?

mtbr member
    Saw a Rattler on Pick N Sledge a couple of weeks ago just chilling. Stayed about 10 feet away, took a couple of pics and waited unitl it went in the bushes. I ride with shin guards for this exact reason. Getting bit by a rattler must suck.

Erik

Alaskan in exile.

Snakes on a Trail...

Met this one near the southern terminus of the Cherry Creek Trail about a month ago.

Caught a fleeting glimpse of a significantly bigger one near the Hwy-83 trailhead for Hidden Mesa a couple of days ago.
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

Rolling

Shread Ready
    LOL, no I wasn't shuttling APEX. And I was surprised how few people were on the trail between 7-9am on a Sunday. I helped some ladys with their directions on the trials so I guess I did a little mountain biking rapport giving all the negativity surrounding Apex recently.

But, yeah, I haven't had a chance to ride Waterton (and probably won't given the work they're doing) but I definitely remember seeing my fair share of snakes over their from when I was a kid. One was a pretty big rattler. Don't think I could get myself to rock shin guards since mine are pretty stout.

Fixed and single.
    Thanks for the heads up, but i'll be worried if you told us you saw a large cat.

-M
    "Those are some good humans."

Thread Terrorist
    Better than Snakes on a plane
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

That's what she said
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    Better than Snakes on a plane
    Oh just beat me to it.

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    The snakes have been around a lot longer than we have.
    I'm no biologist, but I'm pretty sure none of the snakes seen on the trails these days are older than 39...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

caffeine dependent
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook93
    I nearly ran one of these over on the way up Hall Ranch about six weeks ago. It was on the uphill side of a big rock, and I didn't see it until I got over the rock.

I very nearly shart meself.
    I'm just here for the food.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I'm no biologist, but I'm pretty sure none of the snakes seen on the trails these days are older than 39...
    Yeah - but they're Pioneers. Almost every one of 'em.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I dunno... the rattler I ran across in Waterton seemed pretty docile. I was less than 2 feet away from him and he wasn't even rattling...
    The point being that little kids need to be taught that "baby" rattlers are not all cute and cuddly and if the kids are out in front of their parents it's not cool to rush up and grab one. As any father out there should know, with small kids anything's possible. Rattling or not, a startled rattler will only do what comes natural.

When I lived in San Diego, working as a carpenter, it was common practice to be verrrry wary of the lumber pile. Snakes just love hiding out in stacks of lumber. If we found baby rattlers in there we'd chop off their heads with a handy shovel. Cruel? Nah, it was a quick death and for sure none of us wanted to suffer the consequences of a snake bite.

Us or them, ya know? Like I say, I like snakes. At a distance.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Your bike is incorrigible
    You know, we don't have that much snake diversity in CO. It's all pansy a$$ garters, whitebread bulls, and redneck rattlers. I once caught a line snake, but I think he was an illegal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Are the Rangers at Bear Lake still dumping their rattlers at green mountain ? Rattlesnake stew is really good if anyone wants to head over and get as many as you can and make a really big bowl of it.
    My canines and myself will probably not want any of it though.