mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I've got a fat bike for a day... where to ride?

I rented a Salsa Beargrease for the day (tonight and tomorrow), and I'd like to have some fun with it. I had it out at North Table Mountain tonight, and it didn't do very well in the 6-7" out there. Very limited in the traction department, and it just wasn't very fun. Are there any trails near the Golden area that you floaty-tired people have had good luck with in the past day or so?

Last edited by Pisgah2000; 02-26-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Now older but less slow!
    Given the amount of snow on the ground and the fact that there has been no time for any of it to get tracked in yet I would hazard a guess that you want to avoid steep hills or you'll be pushing a lot.

Perhaps somewhere otherwise boringly tame like Flatirons Vista/Springbrook would be an option?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ah, good call. I forgot about Flatirons Vista - thanks. I might give that a shot... and yeah, I think I walked more than rode at North Table Mountain tonight. I'm contemplating checking out Lair o the Bear, but I might be a bit optimistic on the snow-shielding ability of the trees.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Fat bikes are pretty much limited to well packed trails. Find one of those.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Fat bikes are pretty much limited to well packed trails. Find one of those.
    I tried the sorta-packed Flatirons trail (at least the entrance was), and after a mile and a half of failed attempts to keep up the momentum, I gave up. It was useless... I ended up riding it around Blunn Reservoir and on the Ralston Creek Trail. I think I'll stick to my regular MTBs in the snow from now on, and maybe save my next wide-tire rental for some dry dirt.
    Last edited by Pisgah2000; 02-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Goat of Legend
    Bear Creek Lake Park is the place to go. We rode there Sunday (during the Blizzard) and saw some other Fat Bike Tracks out there. We worked a couple of loops on the south side and I'll be getting out there again soon to keep the tracks pounded in.

3 sisters should be getting good soon as alot of Evergreen folks keep it pounded in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Bear Creek Lake Park is the place to go. We rode there Sunday (during the Blizzard) and saw some other Fat Bike Tracks out there. We worked a couple of loops on the south side and I'll be getting out there again soon to keep the tracks pounded in.

3 sisters should be getting good soon as alot of Evergreen folks keep it pounded in.
    Cool - thanks for the tips. I'll try to get down to Bear Creek Lake before it all melts.

I returned the Beargrease today and realized that there were better options in the tire department than what I had... the blue rims on the Beargrease made me forget about important things like tread patterns. Whoops. Most other bikes had nice, big, tall knobs with sipes (Surly Nate, maybe?) compared to the slightly worn Husker Du setup on what I had. That plus probably even lower pressures would have helped. Next time!