Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I've been to the other side.........and I kinda like it

No, I haven't switched teams.

My buddy loaned me his extra road bike for the summer and I'm kinda digging it. With free time at a premium and gas what it is, it just seems harder and harder to get my butt out to the trails. With the road bike I can head out at 6:30 on a weekend morning, get a 2 1/2 hour ride in and be back home without getting too much grief from the spouse and kids. I by no means enjoy road biking near as much as the mountain bike but the alternative is less riding and a bigger beer belly.

I do feel a little insecure though because my mountain biking apparel doesn't look quite as nice as the roadies' that pass me. I'm also figuring out that carrying my M.U.L.E Camelbak with tools, tubes, water, extra clothes, wallet, cell phone, pump, patches and power bars is not a roadie thing to do either. I'm slowly learning their ways.....

mtbr member

other other side try moto

twice as far, fast, and long with little effort. 1 year ago I was totally going toward more fitness ie road riding, tri training etc then my dh buddy got me out on a dirt bike. first time on a dirt bike and went out and bought one. The common denominator is being on the trail!
    How do you afford your rock n roll bike style...

mtbr member
    There's nothing mutually exclusive about road and dirt. I like riding on dirt better, but road riding is fun too.

mtbr member
    Its all good man, riding on the road has its advantages and benefits. Back in the day when I raced XC a ton, I spent most of my week on the roadie. I still trained on the roadie when I swtiched to mostly gravity as well...gotta pedal that DH bike on the flat sections somehow

Just be sure to keep it real and stay a mountain biker at heart

what nice teeth you have
    Thats cool. I own 4 mtb's and a road bike. The road bike gets used the most. Its just easier to get out on. Especially now that I am doing my coming out of hibernation rides. The past two years I have suffered from overuse injuries from coming out of hibernation too hard and too fast. The road bike is nice for doing short easy flat rides for getting my body used to the bike again.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Goddam roadies.

Jackass
    I commute to work at least twice a week on my single speed road bike. While I'd rather be on dirt, the commute keeps me in shape (especially in the winter), gets me out on a bike, and it saves on gas. Which is especially important now!
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

love the road

I have to share work out time with my wife and spend time with my kid too. Riding right from the garage is a good option. Today was up to Jamestown, then back up over Lee Hill rd. With some socializing, coffee, etc it was 3.5 hr ride, 38 miles, 3460 feet of climbing, 2067 calories plus no car and no drive time to the trailhead. Riding on the road bike I frequently see folks driving their mtbs down to Hall. Round trip thats 40-60 minutes of time that could be spent riding. I love mtb'ing but road riding is more efficient and most of the time a better cardio workout.

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Goddam roadies.
    Amen.

This is how it started...

The other side.....

Quote Originally Posted by Furrydogs
    I'm slowly learning their ways.....
    You will know when you have entered the dark side when you start shaving your legs.

Shread Ready
    It's funny you mention this. Today on my way to work I see all those Boulderites out on their road bikes in the crappy wind looking like their still loving it. I was thinking man that sure doesn't look very fun and I couldn't see myself doing that. If it were nicer out I might consider it but then I think about how it's probably almost as dangerous as mountain biking with all the vechicles on the road and reading that story were a cyclist was killed on their commute down in Denver. Either way, its good to stay in shape so keep at it and avoid shaved legs and spandex please.

trail waggler

Wurd...

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Goddam roadies.
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Rolling
    I have a secret to share but don't tell anyone.

My mountain bike actually works on the road too. Yep, it's true. I can even ride for 2-5 hours or more on the road with it. Plus, you don't look like a goof riding in baggies.

That is how I have managed to get to Heil Ranch lately--without a car.

But please, don't let this get out to too many folks.

skillz to pay billz
    I did about 4 miles of road today as part of my ride. Luckily they were dirt roads

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    You will know when you have entered the dark side when you start shaving your legs.
    Guilty
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdsantacruzer
    No comment

Inflexable...
    I started biking by riding on the road. Was really into it and would ride almost everyday right after work in San Diego. That is until the second time I was hit by some moron.

Some lady in a convertible Mercedes decided to take a right turn directly in front of me. I slammed into the passenger door and hit the deck. I get up and start the required yelling and screaming about her not yeilding the right of way, yada yada yada. She starts mouthing off about the cars have the right of way even if they cross over the bike lane to make a right turn and bikers don't belong on th road. The three guys I was riding with all stop, got off their bikes and began kicking all around the sides of her car with their carbon shoes until she regained her composure and quickly drove away. Her car looked like a dimpled golf ball when they were finished. Great times, ahhhhh...

I survived obviously, and soon after that I decided to take up the more 'dangerous' sport of mountain biking. I do miss the joys of road biking like being told I need to change my diaper because I have a load in my pants; being targeted with sodas and trash as cars drive by; feeling the near miss of vehicles passing too closely (and not caring) and honking their horns at the last second; you know, fun road biking stuff...
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

slow
    To save gas and cut out as much road riding as possible, I moved closer to the trail head. That being said, I still enjoy road riding sometimes. Nice alternative when the trails are muddy. Also, 50+ mph descents are quieter on road tires than on knobbies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

!Vamos, flaco!
    Riding a bike is riding a bike, regardless of surface, geometry, clothing, or personal hygene.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs
    Riding a bike is riding a bike, regardless of surface, geometry, clothing, or personal hygene.
    And there you have it folks.

Well played

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    The three guys I was riding with all stop, got off their bikes and began kicking all around the sides of her car with their carbon shoes until she regained her composure and quickly drove away. Her car looked like a dimpled golf ball when they were finished. Great times, ahhhhh...
    That's awesome! Someone should have jumped in the car and royally f**ked up the leather seats and dashboard.

mtbr member
    nice pic sgltrak!

mtbr member
    "Welcome to the Dark Side" is a what a long time road biking friend said to me after I picked up a road bike in late winter. I bought it to stay in shape for MTB while the trails were muddy and for those 60 degree winter days when the snow wasn't so great in the hills (I'm such a snow snob). I hadn't had a road bike in about 20 years. While it's not as fun as MTB the consistent cruising speed of 20+ MPH and 40+ MPH descents is a pretty incredible feeling.

Other benefits are it's easier on the wallet with gas approaching $4 a gal. Also, being able to ride right from the house and be back a couple hours later is keeping me out of the dog house with the wife and new baby.

Still a MTBer at heart though.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

Goofing off?
    The dark side? My street machine is a 4" XC bike. Just add a little air to shocks and it is a road bike.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I have a secret to share but don't tell anyone.

My mountain bike actually works on the road too. Yep, it's true. I can even ride for 2-5 hours or more on the road with it. Plus, you don't look like a goof riding in baggies.

That is how I have managed to get to Heil Ranch lately--without a car.

But please, don't let this get out to too many folks.
    Shhhh. I ride my "mountain bike" on flat roads as well, even paved ones, even when I'm not necessarily going to a trail to "mountain bike." Shh.

Next thing you know people will find out that:

I ride my "track" bike on roads and MUTs.

I ride my "racing" road bike on dirt-roads, smooth trails, paths, and non-racing situations.

I've commuted on all my bikes, though none is a "commuter."

I've ridden cruisers when running errands in a time-pressed context.

I've ridden my finacee's Electra Amsterdam in Colorado.

I even rode our tandem once to the shop . . . by myself.

Don't tell anyone.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast