Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Open!

Yappy little dog!

It's Open!

Weather? What weather? Turned out to be a great trail building day and we finished the last bit of trail in under two hours. Wow! Raspberry Ridge and Blackjack are now officially opened at Buffalo Creek.

The last picture just doesn't show how steep that roll really is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's Open!-img_0202.jpg  

It's Open!-img_0203.jpg  

It's Open!-img_0208.jpg  

a dad
    Jan 2004
    pictures never do it justice.. but you are right.. doesn't look steep at all
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was wondering what camera you were using these days (Photome told me).
    So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I was wondering what camera you were using these days (Photome told me).
    It varies by day, but the LX3 is still my favorite. Though, on a nice day, this sx210 can do a good job and it's more compact. Cameras and bikes are my vice. Ok, beer too.

Rolling
    Stand way back with a lot of zoom and make it look steep for us.

I wished I could have made it.

Thanks to all you peeps for making this real.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I'm pumped to finally ride it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    When it was finally time to ride, the sky opened up an let the sun shine. AWESOME day! Great ride too - challenging, technical, FUN!!! My new go-to loop is going to be 543, Baldy, Gas house, Charlies, Homestead, Raspberry, Blackjack, Homestead, Sandy, 543. I'll probably through in Morrison, CT, etc for the longer days. oh.. the sweetness!

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    That red tape not breaking would have made for a great pic. Can't wait to ride this bad bear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The FS didn't make you wear hard hats? They're getting pretty picky about it here. We're probably going to have to buy a box of them for our own projects from now on.

Anyway, good work to everyone who contributed from those who worked through the planning process to those who showed up to move dirt (and rocks)

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Perfect conditions!
    It's Open!-dsc03171.jpg

It's Open!-dsc03173.jpg

It's Open!-dsc03175.jpg

It's Open!-dsc03189.jpg

There's the line
    It's Open!-dsc03193.jpg

one miscalculation
    Name:  DSC03194.JPG
Views: 2349
Size:  105.6 KB

one clean run
    It's Open!-dsc03195.jpg

It's Open!-dsc03197.jpg

It's Open!-dsc03199.jpg

It's Open!-dsc03200.jpg

Thanks to all that came out! From start to finish of this project! Great to have the Forest Service there and working along side!

Maybe some day i wont walk so much of it!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rolling
    Wow. pucker up move. Nice shots.

Also, I wanna see the photo from the guy on the left.

This shot is priceless!

It's Open!-trailbuilding032.jpg

the blog

Yappy little dog!
    Great pics, everyone.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    I remember thinking that spot looked really hairy last year. What line exactly did you take? Go down the rock on the left (as you look down), then stay right towards the bottom?

Great work, guys. I wish I could have been there for the final day.

Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks SICK. Thanks to all volunteers. Your work is greatly appreciated. I can't wait to ride the trails.

mtbr member
    Saweet!!!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Had an awesome day out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg-BxYHza8U

Bollocks
    after my first ride there last week, now i really can't wait to go back...

thanks to all who made this possible.

mtbr member
    Where is this??

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I am looking forward to seeing the video from this.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...7&d=1303613297

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pocgnikcuf
    I am looking forward to seeing the video from this.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...7&d=1303613297

Its in the video Fierclimber posted above. Looks like some nice features.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Great riding...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hard to believe Buffalo Creek could get any better.
    Thanks to all who made this new addition.

My leg feels funny
    Looks fantastic, thanks everyone for all the great labor, planning, and especially the hard work getting this approved

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A huge thanks to all the volunteers who came out yesterday and the other 17 trails days that COMBA held to create Raspberry Ridge and Blackjack trails and re-route Charlie's and Homestead. Total construction time was 23 months and well worth all the effort. Special thanks goes to Terry Breheny, Jason Bertolacci and the rest of COMBA for taking on such a special project back in 2009. And last but certainly not least, Scott Dollus, Christopher Jones and crew and the rest of the good folks of the USFS on the Pike Nat'l. Forest deserve special praise. Without their unwavering support for MTBers in Buff Ck, none of the new BC trails would be possible.

Updated maps will be available soon but the trails are open so get out and ride.
    Last edited by casey; 04-25-2011 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fireclimber
    Had an awesome day out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg-BxYHza8U
    Thanks for the video. The trail looks great. Could be the Denver Metro's version of "Free Lunch".
    Last edited by wilsonblur; 04-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    All that work looks awesome! Nice work, let's keep building sweet trails everywhere!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    Total construction time was 23 months and well worth all the effort. And a special thanks to Terry Breheny, Jason Bertolacci and the rest of COMBA for taking on such a special project back in 2009.

Wouldn't have even been an option for us if it weren't for the good will afforded by the USFS thanks to your many years of service w/ the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol. Well done.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

Desert Rat
    Jul 2005
    Good job guys, looks like fun!

Scott
    RapidCreekCycles

Palisade, CO - Ride the Rim Trail!
    Niner
    Ibis
    COPMOBA

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocketjockey9
    Where is this??
    I posted this in the other thread, but I'll put it here too:

At the bottom of Charlies, take a left up Homestead for a 1/4 mile (maybe less?) Entrance to Raspberry Ridge will be on the right.

Blackjack is at the top of Raspberry on the left, maybe 100 yards from the top overlook area.

Have fun!

I can't ride 45!
    The photog in those shots is Dan. He has a bunch of great shots on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danhick...77310650/show/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Congratulations, the trail looks amazing! The hard work put in by all is really appreciated, and I can't wait to ride it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got the crayolas out and added Raspberry Ridge and Blackjack trails to the BC map. It's not 100% accurate but you get the idea. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's Open!-bc-map-4-11.jpg  

Last edited by casey; 04-25-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Shread Ready
    Wow. Very Cool! So, is RR/BJ basically one big loop? What's the mileage? Thx for the pics and video. Looks pretty technical. Nice work!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    Wow. Very Cool! So, is RR/BJ basically one big loop? What's the mileage? Thx for the pics and video. Looks pretty technical. Nice work!
    Not really, unless you want to ride up Homestead. It's more like an alternate from Charlies to Sandywash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrasher
    The Ridge trail is not nearly as technical as Blackjack and can be ridden as an out and back. It's a little over a mile climb to some of the best views in the Buff Ck. area. Blackjack is roughly 2 miles, give or take, and is much more techie than most of the stuff in the Front Range.

imaorobbie
    So, these trails aren't directional? Is there signage about downhill riders? I just want to be sure, so I can yield accordingly.

The Raspberry ridge trail is more of an out and back- the Black jack would not be much fun to climb up - it is geared towards a one way. Signage is not up yet but soon will be.

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Keep in mind ladies and gentlemen - this is a multi-use trail! So don't be surprised if you come across a hiker coming up BJ...

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    How quickly do the trails dry out in BC? I was planning to ride there tomorrow evening since I will already be in the area. Beginning to think the trails may still be wet tomorrow.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C
    How quickly do the trails dry out in BC? I was planning to ride there tomorrow evening since I will already be in the area. Beginning to think the trails may still be wet tomorrow.
    Even when they're "wet" they're totally rideable. The pea gravel and sand make it very wet-riding friendly. So basically I'm saying go for it - it'll be fine.

user-created
    Looks good!

Steep, technical features on a non-directional multi-use trail??? Shocking!

I really like that it's not labeled triple-black-diamond XXXtreme. Or will the over-signing come later?

eci
    I got the crayolas out and added Raspberry Ridge and Blackjack trails to the BC map. It's not 100% accurate but you get the idea. Enjoy!
    Thank you, how is the easiest way to get out there? we are going out friday after work and would like to park as close to the trail as possible to maximize ride time.

thanks!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Thank you, how is the easiest way to get out there? we are going out friday after work and would like to park as close to the trail as possible to maximize ride time.

thanks!
    You're going to have to earn this one! Pine Valley Ranch is probably closest. Climb Strawberry, descend Homestead, then climb Raspberry and descend Black Jack. Return by climbing back up Homestead or Millers. You could park at the Miller's Gulch trail head then cut over to Charlies and then up Homestead a short ways to Raspberry then Black Jack and return by climbing Homestead or Millers. Other ways are longer.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    You could park at the Miller's Gulch trail head then cut over to Charlies and then up Homestead a short ways to Raspberry then Black Jack and return by climbing Homestead or Millers. Other ways are longer.
    Ugh! That is the worst possible route! driving back on those roads?! waste of time!

Or climb up sandy wash all the way to homestead- nice gentle climb! Prob. strawberry though would be less driving and a little tougher climb! LIke DWF said- gotta earn this ride!

the blog

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Ugh! That is the worst possible route! driving back on those roads?! waste of time!

Or climb up sandy wash all the way to homestead- nice gentle climb! Prob. strawberry though would be less driving and a little tougher climb! LIke DWF said- gotta earn this ride!
    Driving 550 to 543 doesn't take any time (riding it sucks though). And it is DH from the MGTH to Raspberry which means you'd get "there" fast. The return trip would be easy too.

edit: I should add that since I live near Sedalia, I always go to BC via 67 & 126. Skilz, you live in Conifer, don't you?
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Looks good!

Steep, technical features on a non-directional multi-use trail??? Shocking!

I really like that it's not labeled triple-black-diamond XXXtreme. Or will the over-signing come later?
    Maybe you haven't ridden in other National Forest other then Pike but most trails in a National Forest are open to hikers and other forms of transport if they are open to bikes, regardless of the steepness of the trail/ features

Bollocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C
    i was out there today, up 543, gashouse, miller gulch, homestead, charlies, homestead, raspberry ridge, blackjack, sandy wash, 543. everything was perfectly rideable despite it snowing/sleeting for most of the day....

...but DAMN! i have to admit, this may be the only time i try and ride raspberry ridge and blackjack. i probably rode slightly more than half of the features but didn't have the balls to try the rest on my own, in the snow. i'm a moderate rider and just don't see myself ever being able to descend some of those rock faces. or maybe i'm a pu$$y!

its a great trail if you have the skills to enjoy it. again, thanks for all the work everyone put in.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey carlos9, a lot of the rock features are way easier than they look just sit back and don't hesitate. I also think that it may be wise to ride them with other people just in case of a nasty crash. Happy trails!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9
    i was out there today, up 543, gashouse, miller gulch, homestead, charlies, homestead, raspberry ridge, blackjack, sandy wash, 543. everything was perfectly rideable despite it snowing/sleeting for most of the day....

...but DAMN! i have to admit, this may be the only time i try and ride raspberry ridge and blackjack. i probably rode slightly more than half of the features but didn't have the balls to try the rest on my own, in the snow. i'm a moderate rider and just don't see myself ever being able to descend some of those rock faces. or maybe i'm a pu$$y!
    I'm pretty sure that's why it has been referred to as the "Black Diamond Trail" until the recent christening. I hiked the 1st part of Blackjack when I was up there for a build weekend last summer and I gotta say... a lot of that $hit was above my pay grade. Maybe with some armor, though.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Keep in mind ladies and gentlemen - this is a multi-use trail! So don't be surprised if you come across a hiker coming up BJ...
    I can see that mid-air yield technique now.....It's like the bullet time in the matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Driving 550 to 543 doesn't take any time (riding it sucks though). And it is DH from the MGTH to Raspberry which means you'd get "there" fast. The return trip would be easy too.

edit: I should add that since I live near Sedalia, I always go to BC via 67 & 126. Skilz, you live in Conifer, don't you?
    yah well what i was getting at is those roads just plain suck! if you like wahsboards to all hell- rattle your ashtray full of change onto the floor- shake your fillings out and make your pbrs all foamy then go for it! my mother inlaw lives back that road and even that short distance is brutal! (or is it being around her!)

But i would rather be ridin than driving any day! even if it is uphill!

the blog

Thread Terrorist
    Congrats guys! I can't wait!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I can see that mid-air yield technique now.....It's like the bullet time in the matrix.
    I did that one time skiing off a cornice on West Wall at A-Basin...

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    yah well what i was getting at is those roads just plain suck! if you like wahsboards to all hell- rattle your ashtray full of change onto the floor- shake your fillings out and make your pbrs all foamy then go for it!
    You need to drive faster.

Bollocks
    Hey carlos9, a lot of the rock features are way easier than they look just sit back and don't hesitate. I also think that it may be wise to ride them with other people just in case of a nasty crash. Happy trails!

hmmmm. easier said than done, i'm afraid! i was also going to suggest not riding alone but didn't want to appear to be making a big deal about it, figuring it was just me.

Bollocks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    I'm pretty sure that's why it has been referred to as the "Black Diamond Trail" until the recent christening. I hiked the 1st part of Blackjack when I was up there for a build weekend last summer and I gotta say... a lot of that $hit was above my pay grade. Maybe with some armor, though.
    well, it was aptly named, thats for sure!

glad its not just me who feels that way

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos9
    well, it was aptly named, thats for sure!

glad its not just me who feels that way
    No worries Carlos, Blackjack and RR are not for everyone. There are a few features that make me pucker up. And riding these trails alone is probably not a good idea. We've seen some cat activity during the construction.

Bollocks
    No worries Carlos, Blackjack and RR are not for everyone. There are a few features that make me pucker up. And riding these trails alone is probably not a good idea. We've seen some cat activity during the construction.
    yeah, i can see it now... i survive the fall only to be eaten by a mountain lion!

maybe i need to practice on something like this first but i don't know anywhere in the area that is even comparable...?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    First off, thanks for the reality check on my riding skills. I just "rode" this today and have to say its pretty gnarly. I've heard all through the building that there will be easy ways around these features and frankly you cant tell which way the "trail" goes, let alone an easier way around. I think the trail should be marked like slickrock with some strategically placed dots and another color for the "easy" way down.
    Just a suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by INCOGKNEETOE
    First off, thanks for the reality check on my riding skills. I just "rode" this today and have to say its pretty gnarly. I've heard all through the building that there will be easy ways around these features and frankly you cant tell which way the "trail" goes, let alone an easier way around. I think the trail should be marked like slickrock with some strategically placed dots and another color for the "easy" way down.
    Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback incogkneetoe. Not all the features have alternate lines and the few that do, are not necessarily that easy. They are easier than the main line but that ain't saying much. This is a double black diamond, extreme, call it what you will trail and it's wasn't designed to be "easy".

Due to environmental concerns, paint cannot be used to mark the rock. Signage is on it's way along with more rock cairns and other wayfinding devices but it will be a few weeks before they're in place. So for the time being, Blackjack will be a bit of an adventure.

Hope you had fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Fun it was, especially when you make it to the bottom and still have all your teeth!
    I sure would like to see some video of people cleaning this trail, anything out there yet?

A big thanks to all the people who helped build this monster.

mtbr member
    I'll post some video soon of a rider in our group today greasing the Slot of Death as it was referred to today. Everything else (at the risk of sounding cavalier) really did roll easier than it looked. I would agree with those above that this trail is not kidding, really a blast, but with some rocky consequences should you forget a few key tips: good descending hip position, heavy feet/light hands, modulate (brakes), and when in doubt...just let it roll!!! One of the real pleasant surprises was the super high speed drift master drifty corners, courtesy of the red marble surface in many areas. really good times had by all today for sure. Thank you COMBA, JeffCo, NFS, and all the hard trail hours...totally worth it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    5 out of 5 stars, freaking awesome. Thank you to every one involved. I swear I will never miss another comba build day ever again (unless I'm riding). Was the "Slot of death" an intentional "filter feature"? I think once a person can clean that they are going to have a blast on the rest of it. Also this trail rides way longer than the indicated 3 miles, another sign of fantastic trail building. I could go on all day, I am stoked!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancorley
    Thank you COMBA, JeffCo, NFS, and all the hard trail hours...totally worth it!
    just to clarify-- jeffco had nothing to do w/ this project. these trails were volunteer-built by COMBA in close cooperation w/ the USFS (specifically, the south platte ranger district).
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member

oops...

Umm...my mistake. Thanx COMBA and USFS.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics
    Maybe you haven't ridden in other National Forest other then Pike but most trails in a National Forest are open to hikers and other forms of transport if they are open to bikes, regardless of the steepness of the trail/ features
    I wasn't very clear, I think it's great that it's multi-use. IMO trails can be steep and technical and still just be trails that appeal to all users.

Of course no hikers is also good.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by danjmeyers
    5 out of 5 stars, freaking awesome. Thank you to every one involved. I swear I will never miss another comba build day ever again (unless I'm riding). Was the "Slot of death" an intentional "filter feature"? I think once a person can clean that they are going to have a blast on the rest of it. Also this trail rides way longer than the indicated 3 miles, another sign of fantastic trail building. I could go on all day, I am stoked!
    Thanks, Dan! Yes "Slot Machine" (Get it? All the features have gambling names) is an intentional filter feature. It *should be* hard to look at the Slot Machine roll and not understand that the trail is intended to define the upper threshold of technical difficulty in Buffalo Creek. It is walkable, but it definitely sets the tone for what you should expect on the rest of the trail. The next project -- Little Scraggy -- will have less black diamond features, but will be fun for sure.

I want to echo Keith's thanks to all that were involved in building Blackjack and Raspberry Ridge -- especially Scott, Christoper and the fire crews at the South Platte Ranger District of the USFS, Keith, Stu and the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol, and all of COMBA's hard-working and fun-having volunteers. It was a great two seasons of building. Unless you were out there you will never know how much rock and dirt got moved to create those trails.
    Last edited by jasonb; 05-01-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    The next project -- Little Scraggy -- will have less black diamond features, but will be fun for sure.

I am prepared for battle!

the blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A buddy and I rode Blackjack today and loved it. That entry drop is definitely pucker material! Great work everyone.

feel the Force
    This was a fun trail to hit today, especially with 2-3 inches of fresh snow! Thanks for all the hard work.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    This was a fun trail to hit today, especially with 2-3 inches of fresh snow! Thanks for all the hard work.
    How was the traction on the granite with moisture? I haven't been out there when it has been wet and am curious how the slabs rode.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonb
    How was the traction on the granite with moisture? I haven't been out there when it has been wet and am curious how the slabs rode.
    Traction was awesome. Several of us hit it and I was amazed at what a non-issue the moisture was, no mud, great traction (even on the steep stuff), etc...

You guys have built a real gem, my only disappointment was that I didn't get off my @ to come and help. I will be there in the future, promise.
    Now with more vitriol!

I can't ride 45!
    So most of the features on Blackjack are named, which I thought might be helpful for folks riding and posting. While building we got tired of scratching our head every time someone described a spot on the trail as "past that one rock by the tree". Look for these names on signs and maps in the future, but until then here it goes...

Blackjack branches left off Rasberry Ridge about 50 years from the top of the ridge. If you look carefully as you ride the singletrack there is an optional feature, "Over/Under", up and over a rock to your left which drops you out at the entrance to "Slot Machine", alternatively you can ride the singletrack around to the entrance. "Slot Machine" is an intentional filter feature. Blackjack was built to define the upper threshold of technical difficulty in Buffalo Creek. Slot Machine sets the tone for what a rider should expect on the rest of the trail.

Slot Machine is followed by a quick bermed righthand turn which leads into a short funnel shaped roll named "Plinko". A short slickrock traverse takes you to the top of "Long Shot" -- a 30 yard finger of steep granite that banks left at the bottom into singletrack. The trail curves over a few small rock features and up onto "Box Cars" a small but chunky dome of grante that the trail snakes over and down with optional 3-foot-to-flat drops on the right. A boulder chicane opens into singletrack and winds to the top, marked by a large tree stump, of two consecutive granite rollers named "Double Down".

More singletrack and granite slabs take you past "Hit Me", aka the "Panties Drop", an optional 4-6 foot drop squeezing between two boulders on the right of the main trail. At this point Blackjack leaves the ridge and rolls through a grassy meadow before squeezing through the boulders of "Snail Rock" and continuing down through the meadow where a steep short granite line ascends to the top of the second granite ridge. "Badfinger" leads down a finger of granite on the north of the ridge and connects by singletrack traverse to a second slab "Goodfinger". You will understand why one is bad and the other good when you get there.

Leading off the second ridge the trail passes by "The Strip" an yet-to-be constructed chute that drops steeply to the south -- look for workdays this season to help build The Strip and other new features. The main line continues down around the eastern nose of the ridge through some tight corners and singletrack before squeezing through "Split", into the "Snake Eyes" turns and finally down over the last granite roller "Pay Off" before merging with the Homestead Trail.

Be safe out there -- you are traveling in the backcountry. Ride with a buddy or buddette and always look before you leap.
    Last edited by jasonb; 05-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.

I can't ride 45!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    Traction was awesome. Several of us hit it and I was amazed at what a non-issue the moisture was, no mud, great traction (even on the steep stuff), etc...

You guys have built a real gem, my only disappointment was that I didn't get off my @ to come and help. I will be there in the future, promise.
    Great, great, great! I was a little worried about wet traction on the granite -- not that it rains out there often. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the trail. There will be plenty of work days on Blackjack and other trails in Buff Creek in the future. If you come bring a friend or two.

jason

Stand back

Ok, so how does this compare with other trails you've ridden?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

feel the Force
    Traction was good. The decompsed granite of the trail sheds water very well. The granite features are porous and rough stone, so there was good traction on them too. The hardest part was routefinding in the fresh snow, which wasn't all that bad. In most places the cairns were obvious. On the trail up there were a few places where i had to scout around to find the trail again, like right after the little notch/wallride. The top was a little confusing. I rode up to the summit, which turns out to be an overlook, and scouted all around for the trail. Then I went back down to the intersection and took the turn to go down Blackjack. The descent was mostly fine, with less routefinding problems.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Weather? What weather? Turned out to be a great trail building day and we finished the last bit of trail in under two hours. Wow! Raspberry Ridge and Blackjack are now officially opened at Buffalo Creek.

The last picture just doesn't show how steep that roll really is.
    So? You gonna drag me out there tomorrow, Mitch?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken
    So? You gonna drag me out there tomorrow, Mitch?
    Can't. Big rollout coming next week at work, so I am swamped. I know there are a few here who could find some time tomorrow.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Ok, so how does this compare with other trails you've ridden?
    It's got excellent flow, little in the way of drops / jumps but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's technically challenging, but without the carnage potential or the "commit or be admitted" factor of some other local spots. There are some very nice wide open sections with long sweepers - and a lot of cool stuff to play on. We had enough fun riding it in the cold and snow last weekend that we're returning to do it again this weekend.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 05-06-2011 at 06:40 AM.
    Now with more vitriol!

imaorobbie
    Rode it yesterday. Great trail! Steep, technical (no seriously, technical), climbs, rock faces, drops. There are two nice natural wall rides on Raspberry, one is pretty big to a flat landing. That last roll out is steep. A nice big berm at the bottom of that thing would allow it to be rolled faster, which would make it easier. A lot of front brake action on those long rock faces to save that rear tire from being shredded on that granite. The three lines on slot machine are interesting. The far left line is easiest, right is tricky avoiding the large rock on the right of the trail, the middle line, well, that little finger of rock sticking out makes things interesting: land, brake, turn left

banned
    sounds seriousszzz^

Stand back
    It's got excellent flow, little in the way of drops / jumps but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's technically challenging, but without the carnage potential or the "commit or be admitted" factor of some other local spots. There are some very nice wide open sections with long sweepers - and a lot of cool stuff to play on. We had enough fun riding it in the cold and snow last weekend that we're returning to do it again this weekend.

Sounds awesome. Thanks, 'zeera!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great trail, very fun, would be just as fun on my ss hardtail or my fs that I road today. Most things were ridable for me and this trail will get much easier the more you ride it. If there are any kayakers on here think of Ob Be Joyfull as this run. (easy class 5 run with some harder drops thrown in there) great horizon lines but almost everything goes(for me) I am sure it does go for better riders. Pure fun. Thanks

Colorado
    Alright, I guess I'll be the first (that I know of) to throw a POV of this up. I'm no Cam Zink, so give me a break here.

I walked a few of the sections... and edited this down so it would be fun to watch. But, it should give you an idea of what to expect. I'd click the vimeo link to watch in HD for better clarity.

Thanks to whoever helped build this sucker. It's a lot more techy than I was expecting. After watching this on video, I'm most disappointed that I missed the sweet rock berm at the very end... next time.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/23456672?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="601" height="338" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    Alright, I guess I'll be the first (that I know of) to throw a POV of this up. I'm no Cam Zink, so give me a break here.

I walked a few of the sections... and edited this down so it would be fun to watch. But, it should give you an idea of what to expect. I'd click the vimeo link to watch in HD for better clarity.

Thanks to whoever helped build this sucker. It's a lot more techy than I was expecting. After watching this on video, I'm most disappointed that I missed the sweet rock berm at the very end... next time.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/23456672?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="601" height="338" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    Nice work on clearing it!

eci
    Me and a buddy rode blackjack and rasberry ridge on friday. It was a great lap. I was a bit surprised at how technical raspberry was. We had a ton of fun hitting all the different features and trying a few different lines. I'm very excited to get back up there and get another lap in.

Anyone know when signs are going up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    Anyone know when signs are going up?
    We still have some work to do before the signs can be made so we don't have an exact date yet. Stay tuned.

Digital Toast
    Just watched the vid over in Passion, nice work and thanks to everyone who worked so hard in making this trail.

Old Man
    Very nice trail-work, out of my league to ride, but still very nice.
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." - Mark Twain
    Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Oh yeah, that'll put him at ease...

Bollocks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    Oh yeah, that'll put him at ease...

i wondered [aloud] to myself numerous times what i was doing out there by myself! the thing about that trail is its so completely different than the rest of bc, its tempting just to try it just because you're there. so, as much as i say i'll never go it alone again, i'll probably will. whoever finds my remains, just throw them off to the side. i'd hate for one of my splintered bones to cause someone to get a flat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for your time and efforts! Trail looks so much fun!

mtbr member
    Congrats to the team. You did a fantastic job! The BC trail system is awesome. If I'd write a trail review I'd call it:

Miles of Buff and Yards of Terror - and you'll love every foot of it.

I did.

Thanks BC trail planners and builders!!!
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    We just got out to Buff Creek for the first time ever today, and it was awesome (Like a million hot dogs). Big thanks to everyone who worked on RR/Blackjack, they are overflowing with super techy goodness!

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by wandr View Post
    We just got out to Buff Creek for the first time ever today, and it was awesome (Like a million hot dogs). Big thanks to everyone who worked on RR/Blackjack, they are overflowing with super techy goodness!
    Awesome on BJ is two filet minions...I mean Filet Minon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    This is one great trail. Thank you for the hard work from all you pulaski and mcleod lifters - nice to have this tech option on this trail system.

Thread Terrorist
    Rode Blackjack yesterday. Its about time someone put in a mountain bike trail out there

Fun, can't wait to do it again.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure View Post
    Rode Blackjack yesterday. Its about time someone put in a mountain bike trail out there

Fun, can't wait to do it again.
    Yeah, I was up there yesterday, too - I still have a buzz when I think about it. Big ups to anybody who did work. I think I will donate to COMBA...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What's the grade on the slot machine feature...anyone know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0