Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Card Carrying Member

It's blue... and it's dead.

Found it cleaning after my ride this morning. I thought my shim was creaking for the last couple of days, but it turns out it wasn't the shim.

*Edit for better pic*
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitchenware; 12-08-2004 at 06:23 PM. Reason: better pic

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!

Jim the Giant Killer!

Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    Found it cleaning after my ride this morning. I thought my shim was creaking for the last couple of days, but it turns out it wasn't the shim. Guess I'll be heading to Supergo later today.
    That was quick! Are you going to be able to piece together than green machine between now and Sunday?

eci
    wow!!! was that from your fall???

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    wow!!! was that from your fall???
    Nah, it's the common seat tube break just below the weld. It's been popping/creaking for about two weeks, but it just started moving paint today. Besides, the bike landed on me on Sunday. hehe
    Last edited by kitchenware; 12-08-2004 at 12:23 PM.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    That was quick! Are you going to be able to piece together than green machine between now and Sunday?
    I hope so... pulled the brake line out of my lever this morning too. Gotta get with Larry and either buy a new one or use this one again. It's been one of those days.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss

That sucks!

Wouldn't you really rather have an ASX made right here in CO? Nice thing is Supergo & Giant make replacing it easy.

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWF
    Wouldn't you really rather have an ASX made right here in CO? Nice thing is Supergo & Giant make replacing it easy.
    Truth be told... I'm not too broken hearted about having to build my Chameleon up again.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Truth be told... I'm not too broken hearted about having to build my Chameleon up again.
    Yeah, you're lucky that way. Dual suspension is over rated anyway. If I broke my frame I'd have to do without a direct replacement for a while and I freaking build frames! I could ride my old Mountain Goat Deluxe as a SS though....

locked - time out
    Yeah, you're lucky that way. Dual suspension is over rated anyway. If I broke my frame I'd have to do without a direct replacement for a while and I freaking build frames! I could ride my old Mountain Goat Deluxe as a SS though....
    Cobbler's kid is the last to get shoes....

Jim, you're an animal - what've you had that thing for all of 6 weeks now? You do realize that you are supposed to wait until after Giant has depleted their entire stock of ACs before you can "find Faith" right?

Outcast
    Jim, here's your opportunity to buy my '04 asx frame! I dare you to break it!
    See my shameless spam thread in this forum for a link to the add.

Renny

Outcast
    This frame could be yours....

It's in fantastic condition...

All you gotta do is....buy it!

Perpetually single track
    Impressive....

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Jim, you're an animal - what've you had that thing for all of 6 weeks now? You do realize that you are supposed to wait until after Giant has depleted their entire stock of ACs before you can "find Faith" right?
    I've pretty much only ridden trail with it since I got it, I dunno what happened.

locked - time out
    I've pretty much only ridden trail with it since I got it, I dunno what happened.
    I'm not sure either - but I'll be telling myself that it was a freak failure when I go to sleep tonight. Have you talked to the guys @ Supergo yet?

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I'm not sure either - but I'll be telling myself that it was a freak failure when I go to sleep tonight. Have you talked to the guys @ Supergo yet?
    Doood, do you have one? I thought you had a Specialized for some reason. That slog in the snow must of erased it from my memory.

ASX! ASX! ASX!

locked - time out
    Doood, do you have one? I thought you had a Specialized for some reason. That slog in the snow must of erased it from my memory.

ASX! ASX! ASX!
    Yeah - I've got one. I'm pretty happy with it. My friend rides an ASX - he's pretty happy with his bike too. I think if I where going to get a new frame (and spend around a grand) I'd look @ the Banshee Chaparral - but I'm admittedly infatuated with them right now.

I'm hoping that mine will last long enough to score the new "Faith" frame when I crush mine like so many cocoa-puffs beneath the wheels of progress... - well, that or something not quite spectacular (but the first sounds cooler)

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Yeah - I've got one. I'm pretty happy with it. My friend rides an ASX - he's pretty happy with his bike too. I think if I where going to get a new frame (and spend around a grand) I'd look @ the Banshee Chaparral - but I'm admittedly infatuated with them right now.

I'm hoping that mine will last long enough to score the new "Faith" frame when I crush mine like so many cocoa-puffs beneath the wheels of progress... - well, that or something not quite spectacular (but the first sounds cooler)
    I'm not familiar with the Faith. Got a link? The Chap's a nice bike, but it's like what, an 11 pound frame? I'm not a weight weenie by any stretch, but damn, that's a big fat azz! Specially for a 6" "trail" bike. You gonna' just use it for those Red Bull moments? Seriously, if you can spend a grand for a big hit frame, you can spend two or three, right (I saw that pimpin' rig you drive!)? Talk to Noel Buckley and see if you can't score one of his V-Tachs. That's a frame I'd like to have: pedals good, outstanding build quality, and fun to look at. Expensive, but you can save your money when you're dead.

On the other hand, I've been unable to break my 4-pound frames for the last 5 or so years; hardtails don't experience a lot of the stresses a full-squishy does...of course I don't go around flinging myself off of cliffs like you guys do either.

mtbr member
    Found it cleaning after my ride this morning. I thought my shim was creaking for the last couple of days, but it turns out it wasn't the shim.

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't post pictures of that kinda stuff!!! I'm in so much debt because of my same frame I got from the same place as you!!!! I can't afford to have it break!!!! Dammit, i knew getting a Giant wasn't a good idea..............

Card Carrying Member
    I'll be telling myself that it was a freak failure when I go to sleep tonight. Have you talked to the guys @ Supergo yet?
    Well, since the bike hasn't (hadn't) even been abused yet, I hadn't had it long enough so I'd say freak failure and rest easy my friend.

I'm taking the frame down today and the Giant rep is supposed to be in next week or something, they were a bit vague but I'll get details today. It should be a no-brainer as the frame is less than 2 months old and still looks like new, besides the obvious.

I'm already wishing it was SC I was dealing with... I'd have an RA# by now and it would be on it's way to Cali if I was. Oh well, gotta play the new game and see how it works. I'll keep everyone posted as best I can.

Card Carrying Member
    Wrong time of year, man. hehe, I'm pretty much stuck waiting to see what happens here. I had a big fork on my xmas list, but I'm waiting now...

Besides, it's a medium.

locked - time out
    Well, since the bike hasn't (hadn't) even been abused yet, I hadn't had it long enough so I'd say freak failure and rest easy my friend.

I'm taking the frame down today and the Giant rep is supposed to be in next week or something, they were a bit vague but I'll get details today. It should be a no-brainer as the frame is less than 2 months old and still looks like new, besides the obvious.

I'm already wishing it was SC I was dealing with... I'd have an RA# by now and it would be on it's way to Cali if I was. Oh well, gotta play the new game and see how it works. I'll keep everyone posted as best I can.
    For what it's worth - I have read nothing but good stuff about Giant's handling of warranties - if you haven't already, check out the Giant owners forum here on the site. Tell 'em you want a new frame + 10 Faiths in full DH dress for punitive damages & suffering....

Rolling

The Truth is Jim,

Usually you have to pay $2000 for a bike "handcrafted in California" to get a bike to break in that spot! You lucky dog, it took you way less money to pull it off.

Welcome to the club!

Time to get this:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FR702B01

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Usually you have to pay $2000 for a bike "handcrafted in California" to get a bike to break in that spot!
    I was kind of skeptical when I got my frame of the structual integrity of that funky seat tube. And I wanted a Bullit, I feel so fortunate now to be riding on this $299 Giant.

I too have heard nothing but good things about Giant warranty service, and I'd like to hear how this one goes.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    I was kind of skeptical when I got my frame of the structual integrity of that funky seat tube. And I wanted a Bullit, I feel so fortunate now to be riding on this $299 Giant.

I too have heard nothing but good things about Giant warranty service, and I'd like to hear how this one goes.

Cheers,

Dave
    I've seen photos of 01-02 AC frames cracked/broken in two there, but I thought this new version of that funky bend was supposed to eliminate that. The paint is stressed 1/2 way round the tube above the paint chip. I believe the actual crack is just a couple mm below the weld, still under paint.

I was actually thinking about another Bullit before I got this, but at the price...

Anyway, I've got to figure out if I can piece together a ride for this WE. Time to go see the pusher-man.

Now Uploading
    I've seen photos of 01-02 AC frames cracked/broken in two there, but I thought this new version of that funky bend was supposed to eliminate that. The paint is stressed 1/2 way round the tube above the paint chip. I believe the actual crack is just a couple mm below the weld, still under paint.
    This is a bummer.

I was actually thinking about another Bullit before I got this, but at the price...
    I'm still thinking Bullit, next year. But also eyeing a Blur to replace my Giant XTC 3lb. hardtail frame. I like that Giant a lot, but it's all dinged up and dented because it's built like a Pepsi can. I'm surprised it's not cracked yet after the past couple of years. How long was that Giant warranty, anyway? Nevermind, that was the one I kept trashing internal headset bearings in and had to have the frame modified for a real headset.

Out of all fairness to Giant though, their quality, welding and finish is usually very good for such mass produced imported frames. And this may be another instance of we get what we pay for. But I've broken steel frames before, so I'll shut up now.

Cheers,

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast