mtbr member

It's back!!! Snowmas enduro july 12-14

Greetings all!

We are happy to announce the return of the Master of the Mass Snowmass Enduro July 12-14. We are excited to be right after the NEW Big Mountain Enduro in Keystone, CO. 2 weekends of kick-ass enduro racing at its best. More info coming soon, but here are a few highlights for the Snowmass Enduro:

---4 stages
    ---XC stage will be all new and will avoid the Gravity Logic trail for this stage
    ---Awards will be given for winners of each individual stage with a ceremony for each stage
    ---Overall winners will be determined by a points system similar to World Cup points system used by the UCI
    ---Will be adding a Jr category (still waiting to determine age)

Couple of items to discuss:
    ---Based on feedback, amateurs will NOT BE allowed to change any aspect of their bikes
    ---Pros will be allowed to change wheels, tires, and pedals

We had incredible feedback last year and all of our changes were based on suggestions and overwhelming support from the participants who raced.

Registration will open soon. Can't wait to see everyone again.

--D

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
    ---XC stage will be all new and will avoid the Gravity Logic trail for this stage
    --D
    Does this mean the XC stage has more climbing than descending? Is it a true XC stage?

I'm with stupid
    Since when was a XC stage involved in a enduro race over the pond where enduro racing came from. So you are basically making a stage that if you are a fit rider you are able to make up all you time lost on the way down in the other 3 stages? Lets be honest here we all know its easier to make up 30 seconds of time lost on a climb then it is trying to make it up on the downs and flats that are short sprints and tech skills instead of taking a uber light bike and blasting up a hill. Seems even more silly when you are NOT allowing people to change up even their back wheel to get a better tire for this "XC Stage" I personally think it should be the other way around. The Pros should be stuck with the "run what you brung" style since they are the pros and should be able to kick ass on anything and dont need to be catered to have fun, they are there for the money its their job. The "average joe" needs all the help they can get to make the racing more fun. Since fun is the reason they do it. They pay to play not get paid to play. tell the pros to either suck it up snow flake and race like the little kids and make it change nothing across the board.

mtbr member
    Couple of comments. First, the XC stage will be about 70% descending 30% flat to climbing. Should take about 50 min to an hour.

Second...to the above comments. What really is cool about Enduro (at least here in the states) is that there are many formats for what an "Enduro" is. I believe Enduro is a test of all of the skills on a mountain bike. In CO, a sustained logging road climb is as much of a mountain bike obstacle (whether we like it or hate it) as dropping a 6 ft ledge. So, we like to have our event try and tackle every possible skill a rider and a bike may run into through the course of a summer in CO.

With that said...you are exactly correct. Too much time can be made and decided on an XC stage. Which is why we are using a point system for this year. This way, someone who took great risk in the chainless DH to get a few seconds will be awarded the same as someone who made 2 min on a road climb.

Last item....We really are not looking to model our event off of a European style. I love how everyone is able to comment on rules, courses, changes, and we can design this format of racing and make it whatever we want.

--D

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by nitro1 View Post
    Couple of comments. First, the XC stage will be about 70% descending 30% flat to climbing. Should take about 50 min to an hour.

Second...to the above comments. What really is cool about Enduro (at least here in the states) is that there are many formats for what an "Enduro" is. I believe Enduro is a test of all of the skills on a mountain bike. In CO, a sustained logging road climb is as much of a mountain bike obstacle (whether we like it or hate it) as dropping a 6 ft ledge. So, we like to have our event try and tackle every possible skill a rider and a bike may run into through the course of a summer in CO.

With that said...you are exactly correct. Too much time can be made and decided on an XC stage. Which is why we are using a point system for this year. This way, someone who took great risk in the chainless DH to get a few seconds will be awarded the same as someone who made 2 min on a road climb.

Last item....We really are not looking to model our event off of a European style. I love how everyone is able to comment on rules, courses, changes, and we can design this format of racing and make it whatever we want.

--D
    The point system makes more sense in that respect unless you are the guy that smokes the field by a huge amount, is there ant time based point system or just a win equals x number of points and second place is x number of points?

You are correct you can set up your race however you feel fit with stages and all that fun stuff. With that said if you are not going to base the format off a established race format that is widely excepted then why name it after that? All that will do is cause confusion to the racers of what type of race they are signing up for, ie. Britsh enduro is our endurance xc racing. DH is world wide DH so is XC so is endurance races DS and Slopestyle and 4X, now that enduro has a world wide series that has a established set of rules that constitute what the courses shall be on the world tour that format is now know as Enduro racing to the masses. Chainless DH, XC stages, Le Mans starts, potato sac races, stages are not apart of that set format. To have extra " fun" stages like chainless and XC stages and things of that matter are fine for a race no issue with that at all, just dont call it a enduro when that does not fit into the established perimeters of a known format to ride the hype of a growing type of race. Call it Allmass or snowmass extravaganza or Master the Mass or S.A.M.E (snowmass all mountain experience).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I don't think there is any law against calling any race an organizer wants an "enduro". If you don't want to ride a race called an "enduro" that happens to have an XC stage, don't race it.

"Problem" solved.

Where do you think the term "enduro" came from, anyway? It came from motorcycle events that have been run for decades, and they are totally different from MTB "enduros". Using your logic we would be riding between checkpoints at a certain speed with penalties for being early or late, because that is what an "enduro" really is.

Stand back
    I disagree w/ the pro-only equipment changes. I really don't understand the point of limiting equipment changes when Cannondale and Scott sell bikes that can change geometry and travel with the push of a handlebar mounted button.

I did like the courses last year, but am hoping for more corners marked this year. Take some notes from the running and bike races they run out of the Frisco Rec Center around their xc ski trails - laminated colored paper w/ arrows printed on them, stapled to little stakes or trees at every turn. I think WP's enduro did something similar, too.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    I don't think there is any law against calling any race an organizer wants an "enduro". If you don't want to ride a race called an "enduro" that happens to have an XC stage, don't race it.

"Problem" solved.

Where do you think the term "enduro" came from, anyway? It came from motorcycle events that have been run for decades, and they are totally different from MTB "enduros". Using your logic we would be riding between checkpoints at a certain speed with penalties for being early or late, because that is what an "enduro" really is.
    You sir are correct in the motorcycle world that is what a enduro format it. A established format of a know race. Now if they posted up a motorcycle "Enduro" race and the real format was more along the lines of a "rally" then dont you think in the motor cycle world there would be someone correcting the format of the race or cchanging the name to the correct format. The word "Enduro" does not me "do what ever you want and its cool" in the moto world why does it mean that in the mountain bike world? Established races need to follow established formats in established sports to use said established name of the type of race they are putting on. Is it wrong of me to advertise a Front range ripper DH race only to have people show up and the format is a euro enduro style race and make people ride up on transfer stages? Would I not be miss leading my racers by the name that I use to " label " the race I'm promoting? People would be pissed we both know it. Advertising and selling a car as a "Monster truck" cause it will grab attention then really delivering a 1974 ford F-150 that is normal sized with mud tires on it. Then using the fall back of well monster size is relative to who it is, my 3 year old calls it a monster truck and since there is no real rules for what a monster truck is them I'm ok to lead you think that you are buying the grave digger. All in all I'm just saying that labeling and advertising something that has a established format to it then delivering something that is different from the normal format is misleading and should not be done.

mtbr member
    Everyone,

Master of the Mass Registration is open! Master of the Mass Mountain Bike Race - Aspen/Snowmass Colorado - Aspen Snowmass
    Check out the press release below. We look forward to seeing everyone again!

Media Contact:
    Meaghan Lynch, 970/300-7024
    mlynch@aspensnowmass.com

MASTER OF THE MASS BIKE RACE SET FOR JULY 12-14, 2013
    Registration is Now Open for the Race

Aspen/Snowmass, Colo., April 18 , 2013 – Registration for Master of the Mass, July 12-14 is now open online at Master of the Mass Mountain Bike Race - Aspen/Snowmass Colorado - Aspen Snowmass. This Enduro Mountain Bike Race is comprised of four stages over three days that test the all-around skills of racers as they face the challenge of using only one bike for all stages which include a chainless downhill, cross-country, downhill and super-downhill categories.

New this year, final results will be based on cumulative scoring and not cumulative times in racing divisions of pro men/women and amateur men/women. A Junior division for ages 13-17 has also been added to the race this year. The pro division will have a $3,000 prize purse. Parties and events will surround the weekend of mountain biking in one of the most beautiful settings in the Rockies.

Race Course (subject to change):
    Friday, July 12 – 4 p.m. – Super-Downhill (Time Trial)
    The crown jewel of the race is the first stage with a drop of more than 3,500 feet over 8.5 miles from the top of Elk Camp Chair all the way to the rodeo parking lot. The course will feature Vapor, Government, Anaerobic Nightmare and Highline trails.

Saturday, July 13 – 9 a.m. – Cross-Country Race (Mass Start)
    Beginning at the top of the Elk Camp Gondola this ride will incorporate the best cross-country trails Snowmass has to offer. The cross-country course has approximately 1,000 feet of vertical climbing and 2,300 feet of descent over nine miles and will finish in Snowmass Base Village

Saturday, July 13 – 4 p.m. – Chainless Downhill (Time Trial)
    Begin at the top of Elk Camp Gondola and descend down the Valhalla Trail and finish in Base Village. A DJ, drinks and party will continue in Snowmass Base Village.

Sunday, July 14 – 11 a.m. – Downhill (Time Trial)
    Each racer will have one run down Snowmass’ famed Pro Downhill course accessed from the top of the Village Express chairlift and finish in Base Village. Practice for the downhill will start at 9 a.m.

Award ceremony and closing party will be at 1 p.m. in Snowmass Base Village.

For more information and maps of the course, please visit Master of the Mass Mountain Bike Race - Aspen/Snowmass Colorado - Aspen Snowmass or call 970/925-1220.

To check out the action of the Master of the Mass last year visit: Master of the Mass, July 13-15, 2012 - a set on Flickr

Aspen/Snowmass would like to thank the Aspen/Snowmass Master of the Mass sponsors: Muscle Milk, Clif Bar, Helly Hansen, GoPro and Shocktop Belgium White.

mtbr member
    Bump for rules posting and registration is open. Thanks to those who have already signed up! The snow is melting fast now and we hope to have the new XC course GPS'd in the next few weeks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    another bump. Should be a rad weekend.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    If you're here, come say hi, I'll have a mic in my hand.