Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

ISO easy Flat trails fro my wife?

I am waiting for my tax return and i am going to buy her a MTB at performance or Bicyle village but she has never done this and i know she cant do much but very flat trails or open space.

Any one got any good idea's?

Thanks
    Christopher

slow
    Trails for newbies:
    Trails for newbies

I heart the drops
    Be patient it is so easy to make someone quit by getting them over there head to fast.
    "its not how slack your head angle is, its how you ride the bike"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Marshall Mesa...

Betasso, some climbs but you've got to start somewhere
    Centennial Cone, ditto

I'd say start her out on the open space trails and when she get familiar with the bike take her to some actual trails.

Don't push her too hard and don't make her ride stuff she doesn't feel comfortable with
    I had a friend take his gf to Walker on her very first ride EVER and on a new bike because he thought it was an easy trail...needless to say she hated every minute of the ride.

skillz to pay billz
    so far I've taken her down switzerland trail several times, all downhill which seems to be nice for the nOObs. This year I will try for some flat trails with a little up.

tiny rider
    I'd be careful of Betasso and Centennial Cone until she's comfortable on narrow trails. They aren't hard, but the exposure can be disconcerting.

Starting with double-track/dirt roads w/o traffic might give her some time to get the bike handling down. Then move to the buff single-track, as it's beautiful and fun.

I've heard suggestions to let someone else do the technical instruction, and I'd support that. Be there for the fun bits, and let someone else encourage her to push her limits.

The thread just a couple below this looks like a good oportunity as well:
    Attention Female Riders (or husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends of female riders

Good luck

slow
    The very first MTB ride I took my wife on was the practice loop at Slickrock. Don't do that!

Significant others are not always the best person to ride with the first few times. Maybe find her a group of women to ride with (like the group in this thread: Attention Female Riders (or husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends of female riders
    or Team BoB in Fort Collins). Women seem to be more supportive of each other when learning.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    I'd be careful of Betasso and Centennial Cone until she's comfortable on narrow trails. They aren't hard, but the exposure can be disconcerting.[/url]

Good luck
    I agree, that's why I suggested sticking with open space trails first until she get's more comfortable with riding and the bike.

mtbr member
    isnt there a pretty easy Meadow trail at Bergen Park in Evergreen? Just dont take her up the Bergen Peak Trail. that kicked my ass

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by weimie
    I agree, that's why I suggested sticking with open space trails first until she get's more comfortable with riding and the bike.
    Ok, I'm going to echo others advice- take her to the open space trails nice, wide and flat so she can learn how the bike handles and to get her butt used to the seat. Unless you are breaking up with her in two weeks you should have plenty of time to move up to trail riding. Good gawd man you've got the rest of your life (maybe) to spend riding with her don't push it.

Rolling
    Christopher,

Are you in Boulder?

Just ride south boulder creek out and back (easiest in Boulder, nearly zero elevation change). Or Teller farm from Arapahoe to Valmont out and back and see what happens (also near zero elevation change for this section alone). Or do the eagle Sage loop.

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    I'd be careful of Betasso and Centennial Cone until she's comfortable on narrow trails. They aren't hard, but the exposure can be disconcerting.

Starting with double-track/dirt roads w/o traffic might give her some time to get the bike handling down. Then move to the buff single-track, as it's beautiful and fun.

I've heard suggestions to let someone else do the technical instruction, and I'd support that. Be there for the fun bits, and let someone else encourage her to push her limits.

The thread just a couple below this looks like a good oportunity as well:
    Attention Female Riders (or husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends of female riders

Good luck
    Ditto on Betasso and CC. I freak the hell out on exposed trails, and those two start to peg my anxiety meter.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Waterton Canyon is a great beginner experince. Pretty canyon, nice wide dirt road, almost flat. Marshall Mesa from 128 & 93 would be good. Some of the trails around Bear Creek Res. are good. If you can get her to walk a couple hundred yards up the steep part to get on top, once you're on top of South Table Mountain it's ideal. Once the snow melts, think about Flume and Northwest Passage near Frasier/WP, the Colorado Trail around Buffalo Creek (albiet not very flat, not very technical either), and Peru Creek road near Montezuma.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Here is a great trail review site:

http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/tr...e.php?state=CO

Stand back
    Lower (south) portion of Green Mountain. And a 2nd on Marshall Mesa.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Christopher,

Are you in Boulder?

Just ride south boulder creek out and back (easiest in Boulder, nearly zero elevation change). Or Teller farm from Arapahoe to Valmont out and back and see what happens (also near zero elevation change for this section alone). Or do the eagle Sage loop.

Broomfield

That sounds good as well.

Thanks for all the help so far you guys rock

Singletrack Daydreamer
    If you're in Broomfield, there's a perfect trail along a creek (Big Dry Creek?) but it runs from roughly Federal & 120th to the southwest all the way to Stanley Lake. Some is dirt, some is paved, but all is flat as a pancake.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I live in Broomfield, like to do Big Dry Creek as well for training rides, pretty flat but can get some miles in. I also like to do Coal Creek trail which starts in Lafayette and goes up to Superior. You can get on it at 287 and Public Road. Its a pretty ride with some short climbing and follows the creek. Trailhead for Big Dry Creek is at 128th and Zuni, just go east on 128th to the new recreation area they are building across from Safeway. 10 miles one way up to Standley lake.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yeah, newbs on Slickrock

Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    The very first MTB ride I took my wife on was the practice loop at Slickrock. Don't do that!

Significant others are not always the best person to ride with the first few times. Maybe find her a group of women to ride with (like the group in this thread: Attention Female Riders (or husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends of female riders
    or Team BoB in Fort Collins). Women seem to be more supportive of each other when learning.
    I remember seeing a lady rider turning around within the first 50 yards of Slickrock out of the parking lot. Her husband/boyfriend was pleading "come on, just a little farther" and she was like, pissed at him for putting her through this experience. So be careful!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

It's tough for us experienced riders to know

what a newbie is going to think when confronted with this thing we call "mountain biking". So many things to consider--to wit:

I was guiding a friend of mine through his first few months of getting used to his bike. He never got the hang of downshifting before a steep climb (since his legs were kinda week I thought a lower gear would help). He just was so overwhelmed with the idea of steering the bike and pedaling and whatever that shifting took a distant fourth. He finally gave it up, sold his bike and went back to golf!

I read in a review of Centennial Cone how somebody was freaked out by the "exposure" The next time I rode the Cone I tried to see where this exposure was and the only thing I could think of was where the trail cut across the area where the hill drops sharply down towards the highway (way down there). I'd never noticed that but that was a sticking point for the newb.

I'm just saying that flat, wide, "no exposure" is key to get newbs into this sport. There's so much to learn (that we all take for granted) that VERY EASY (not Walker Ranch) is what it takes.
    Last edited by xcguy; 03-22-2008 at 06:12 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Broomfield?
    Barr Lake. The perfect take a chick biking place. Unless your wifey can already jog >5 mile.
    Flat, great views, giant trees, every kinda duck, herons, hawks, and even a BaldEagle nesting.
    Take a Camera and binoculars... great excuse to stop and rest.

Trail details:
    8.8 miles around the lake mostly doubletrack fast rolling hardpack dirt. First 5 miles clockwise from the Nature center is the best.
    The last 4 miles kinda suck unless u like riding next to the railroad track and crossing the dam can be a little spooky.

There are goathead thorns on the trail so go prepared.

hth
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 03-22-2008 at 08:26 AM.

<100%
    Depends on how much she wants to ride and learn the sport that you love. I wanted to be with my boyfriend so I would ride singletrack with him even though I was scared. I was weak too, so he would actually ride next to me and push me up the hills! 10 years later... I kick his butt and race expert. All depends on the person. Btw, we're married now and still riding...

<100%
    Have her check out the Tuesday rides with the YetiBeti gals. www.yetibeti.com
    Also the meadow trail up in Evergreen is an easy ride; you can go as fast as you are comfortable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I started out on singletrack as well. I definitely learned how to ride by trying to keep up with the guys (alot of tears and flipping over the handle bars). But for easier singletrack in the area, Green Mountain is fun and not scary!!! Centennial Cone is fun but the exposure could be intimidating. The Front Range is fun but can be tough for a beginner because it is so technical. Alot of fun, mellow stuff up in the high country once the snow melts!!!

<100%
    Yeah, I have to agree with PL that Green Mtn is a lot of fun. Keep your wife to the lower sections of GM to get use to her bike, and take her up the access road for some conditioning work too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast