mtbr member

ISM Adamo or Peak

Has anyone tried one of these??

www.ismseat.com

I have had no issues as far as.... uh ..... performance of critical parts but sure do get some serious pressure... have tried three different saddles (and yes they are set up correctly) and am only able to lessen the pressure. ISM claims to eliminate all pressure=pain in that area

Also looking at the Selle SMP but it is over $200

High Alpine Adventure
    I do have some junk issues and am also interested. I'm trying out a Koobi right now.

I just bought one of these...

http://www.koobi.com/index.asp?PageA...PROD&ProdID=17

It has the PRS system...

http://www.koobi.com/technology-bicy...dle-rails.html

Here's some reviews....

http://www.koobi.com/bicycle-saddle-reviews-1.html
    http://www.koobi.com/RoadBikeAc-M-A-08-p118.pdf
    http://www.bikemag.com/features/gear...prs/index.html

And some comfort explanation...

http://www.koobi.com/technology-comf...ycle-seat.html

Their prez is Phil Schweizer who is a top 100 finisher at Leadville for a number of years. Figure he must know a bit about saddle comfort.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I've been using a Selle Anatomica Titanico Watershed saddle for clydes and it has been wonderful. It is also designed to relieve pressure from both men and women's tender parts. I have been riding one for around 2yrs and love it.

mtbr member
    I use the Racing model on my tri bike and love it. Contemplating the Peak model for the mtb...
    2003 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrambler1880
    Has anyone tried one of these??
    Also looking at the Selle SMP but it is over $200
    I'd steer clear of the SMP. Buddy of mine bought one and he rode it 100 ft and turned back home to yank it off. Said it was the most painful seat he's ever ridden. Rock hard and a ridge edge along the opening made it horrendous. Mind you, firm isn't necessarily bad, but it better have some other elements to make it comfortable, like smooth and flexible.
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

Koobi review...

Got out on the Koobi for the first time last night and it was interesting. It is much more comfortable than the Spez Phenom's I'm using. I bought the Century model which is a pretty firm saddle, but it has a fair bit of padding in the sit bone area and is about 148mm wide. Phil Schwitzer at Koobi told me to make sure I had at least 1/4" of drop of the nose and I probably have close to 1".

The thing about the seat is the PRS System (elastimer rail suspension) actually moves with your peddle stroke. So as you crank your butt is doing a very subtle but still noticible waddle on the seat. It actual caused me to move back onto my sit bones. I realized after riding for about an hour that I don't use my sit bones as much with my old seat, cause I was feeling some crampy like strain in my gluts.

Also, there was like no pressue up front on the johnson or boys which is a good thing. It also is a narrow horn which fits me better than the Phenom. I always get pressure or bruising on the upper insides of my hip bone region and this is my big issue.

So at this point it seems like a great improvement for me. I'm gonna ride it again this weekend and if it seems to be working still, I'm going to ask Phil to send me an Enduro version, which is a little more padded. The Century is what I would call a firm seat.
    Last edited by DaGoat; 01-30-2009 at 06:23 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

High Alpine Adventure

Rido

Another option to look at is this... gonna give it a try as well. Might work for the FS Trail rigs.

http://www.rido-cyclesaddles.com/
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I'd steer clear of the SMP.....
    I'd have to disagree on this advice. I have an SMP Plus on all four of my bikes - most comfortable saddle I've ever used. Getting the correct width is crucial as is setup on the bike (angle, height, fore/aft adjustment). Zero pressure on the junk, no saddle sores. Price is ridiculous, but occasional deals can be had on ebay. I'd recommend getting your sit bones measured on the Specialized or Bontrager "ass-o-meter" and choose width based on that.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbury1
    I'd have to disagree on this advice..
    Good point Wilbury... everyone is different and no seat will make everyone comfortable. I was only echoing the opinion of my friend. I myself checked out the seat because he thought maybe it would work for me, but having ridden a Selle Italia Flite (which a lot of people like and I hated) I could tell right away that this would be a similar experience for me. If you works for you then that's great, it will probably work for others.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I ordered the Peak and put it on my 29er FS (Giant Anthem) today and rode close to 20 miles on the roughest cross country MI has to offer. It was amazing. The saddle feels exactly like a bike saddle should. There is, of course, no pressure between the legs; your body just sits on the two rear sit bones as God intended. I switched back and forth with my friend's HT and his Fizik saddle (mine's going on ebay) and I just can't see why all bikes aren't fitted with these ergonomic seats. They are perfectly inline with our anatomy. Easily the best, and most important, $100 I've spent on my bike ever. Wish I would have purchased one of these years ago. Do yourself a favor and if you are even contemplating getting a saddle with a cut-out in it - get this one. All the others are okay, but this is the best. Only took 2 adjustments on the trail to get it dialed right in, and it's WAY easier to dial in than a regular saddle. Good luck, Fellas. I'm sure if you go with this thing you will be AMAZED and BEWILDERED as to why everyone doesn't ride one of these. By the way, I was a little concerned before purchasing this that the lack of a real nose would affect the handling on speedy descents. I was blown away that this thing handled out of the seat just like my old saddle; you just get out, pinch a little between your thighs and lay back a bit over the back wheel like normal and it feels no different than any other saddle. As I said, I woulc only encourage everyone to get something like this saddle. I love my Peak Adamo!

Teflon
    Aug 2012
    I have a Peak...and I have to say it was disappointing when I ordered it online...my ISM Typhoon was well constructed, and I found the seat position the biggest advantage to the saddle as it really made a big difference conquering sketchy climbs. I was more forward and was able to achieve better weight distribution over both tires in the saddle. I destroyed my Typhoon and decided to upgrade to the Peak.
    When it arrived (Ebay purchase :/) and I turned over the saddle, I found there are exposed STAPLES visible. Not sure how the hell I am going to clean that. From a performance standpoint it gets high marks...and pressure is definitely redistributed. But really? $110 and there are staples holding it together?? Not something I would have bought had I been able to touch and inspect the saddle...looks cheap and not up to par. I never saw staples like this on any other saddle I have owned....perhaps at Walmart I would.

Team Velveeta™

That saddle rules! But the staples? Disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by going2vt View Post
    I have a Peak...and I have to say it was disappointing when I ordered it online...
    Wow. Joined mtbr this month, probably today (1 point) to post in a zombie thread from last year (1 point) in a regional forum that is 1700 miles away from where he lives (1 more point for the hat trick!)

Welcome to mtbr. You're going to fit right in!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Teflon
    Aug 2012

Nice!

Is there a reason you are nasty? I'm not a dude...and I just got back East from a month in CO + I'm not sure what the diff is...a seat is a seat in PA, CO or VT.
    What's up with the point system?
    When I'm buying something for my bike, I like to hear the good the bad and the ugly...looks like you went right to ugly real quick! Maybe you work for ISM. Thanks for being so open minded and appreciating volunteerism from total strangers interested in helping other bikers make good decisions. Good luck with that! Nice blog...the most wildly self absorbed rambling I've seen a a while!
    Last edited by going2vt; 08-17-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: blog comment

MTBGremmie
    regional forum or not when searching 'ism adamo peak' this thread pops up as 1st choice.

anyway, reason for search was prostatectomy. bike saddles don't play well with this surgery. so i asked my doc, "what seat do you recommend?" his answer,"a tiolet seat."

so i currently have a selle smp that i used prior to the surgery. went from the more xc/road 'pro' model to the softer 'hybrid'. much more comfy. i'm not a long distance xc rider, so the hybrid was nice.

was wondering if the adamo peak or typhoon would even better for the 'toilet seat' ideal. the rails on the smp are not very wide and as i scoot forward one rail or another can hit the perineal area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just to add, I just put the Typhoon on my bike yesterday. The Typhoon is probably the most comfort oriented of the performance saddles, and I'm a clyde so it fits my larger frame a little better.

Anyway, I can tell it's going to be awesome. I went for a short ride yesterday with out my chamois shorts and could instantly tell that this saddle will be very supportive, comfortable, and easier on the family jewels.

I highly recommend it.

MTBGremmie
    thank you altimate. i forgot about this thread, but i too eventually purchased the ism adamo typhoon. really liking it. as a plus, unlike the other adamo saddles that are long in the back (for some race regulations i believe), this one is pretty short. i used to ride a wtb pure, then selle smp (as mentioned above), but this typhoon is great for dropping off the back of the saddle. very comfy and nicely padded. the cover is not leather but a soft, flexible pseudo kind of leather, not some cheap spandex cloth that will tear. great saddle purchase for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    So after a comedy of fitting issues, among the things I did was order an Adamo Century. It certainly does what it is supposed to, but I dunno, it just didn't feel "right", maybe a bit narrow for me. My Phenom is a 155.

So my saddle height was 7cm (long story but really I never knew and have ridden like that for years) too high was the core of my issue. Now that I'm down where I belong, the Phenom actually sits properly again. Just a suggestion, make sure your saddle isn't too high, it totally screws up the way the saddle sits and you get the poking you don't want as a result.

I haven't given up on the Century yet, now that my saddle is lower I may try it again to see how it feels at the proper angle. I will say it's a rather squishy saddle and though it takes adjustment since I haven't ridden recently, I always preferred the more plank-like saddles like the Phenom over longer rides.

I think the Adamo Peak is less padded than the Century is.