Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Interesting Letter to the Editor

2K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  DLine 
#1 ·
Boulder Daily Camera

CYCLISTS

Why don't bikes need a license?

I have been a Boulder city resident for 34 years and am a dog owner who also rides a bike and walks extensively on Boulder city paths and trails. I am required to pay $14 per year to license my dog. Now, in addition, I am required to pay an additional $15 for another license in order to walk my dog off-leash in the few areas where that is allowed. In addition, to get the second license, and pay what amounts to a double dog tax, I must watch a video which will tell me all about proper dog behavior.

It's been my experience that, with exceptions, it is the bicyclists who are the most misbehaved, rude and just plain dangerous users of Boulder's multiple-use trails and paths. They frequently pass walkers and other bikers at a dangerously fast speed and seldom give any warning. I believe it's an ordinance that when passing other bikers or walkers you must alert them that you're passing. I was riding my bike the other day and one of them passed me, with no warning — on the right!

Where I grew up in Evanston, Ill., everyone who rode a bike was required to purchase a bike license. And everyone who drives a car must have a license and pass a test showing that they know the rules of the road. I propose that anyone riding a bicycle in the Boulder city limits be required to watch a video on appropriate bike etiquette and pay a nominal fee for a bicycle license. Further that there be hefty fines for a) not having a license, b) violating the rules and c) endangering other users of the paths — including the dogs.

BARBARA LAMM
Boulder

Sounds like she's upset over having to license her dog and lashing out. It does make you wonder how people like this come to their conclusions about bikes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let's see, cars kill people-license; dogs can kill people-license; as far as I know, bikes don't kill people-no license.

I think she should have to have a license to breed, since potentially, her kids could wind up killing people. LICENSE!

I know people love their dogs and I have loved all the dogs I've had...but lets realize what dogs truly are: They are predators. We have inundated our environment with an improper amount of predators. We expect people who own them to control them. I don't see this as unreasonable, except the fact that maybe too many things are regulated but I also understand that there are reasons for that. If you look at it in the way that they came about, there have not been enough incidents of a detrimental nature to require licensing bikes. I've never injured anyone but myself on a bike. That's obviously why they're not scrutinized like dogs and cars.

We should restrict bikes because they pass her on the trail? Dumb...

#3 ·
I find that giving a warning is often fruitless -- so many people have white wires hanging out of their ears that it seems many just don't hear you.

That said, if this kind of attitude spreads, it could put a big chill on bike access to multi-use trails in cities. I know all the readers of this forum are courteous, so we should remind those other people that they need to be good citizens as well so that we don't get banned from the city trails.

And, hey, when gun owners are required to be properly trained and licensed to use a device easily capable of causing death, then I may be more receptive to licensing of bike riders. (That is a whole 'nuther rat-hole that maybe should be left alone...) Until then, well, it's too bad the dog-owners got screwed with excessive regulation, but I don't care to join them in their government supervised hassles. And, really, what percentage of dog owners obey all the dog rules anyway??

#5 ·
I knew there was a reason I can't stand Boulder

jugdish said:
I believe it's an ordinance that when passing other bikers or walkers you must alert them that you're passing. I was riding my bike the other day and one of them passed me, with no warning - on the right!
I believe it's an ordinance that you're susposed to ride your bike on the right side of the road/path, Miss High-&-Mighty. If you were following the law, how the hell did they pass on the right? Why did they have to pass you? Looks like it's time to get out the ticket book and suspend your "license". And we'll throw in a 6 month probation. :rolleyes:

Stupid people shouldn't breathe...then there's no worry about them breeding.

Sorry, a little grumpy today. :nono: Time to get some lunch.

#6 ·
Passing

80% of the time when you say "on your right" they go right and vice versa rather than moving in the opposite, non injury causing direction. I decided a while back that it was better to risk startling people than run into them so now I don't usually say anything. I lived in Boulder for many years and the biggest risk to the users of the paths there are pedestrians who fail to recognize the multi use nature of the trails, ignore the lines painted down the middle and walk around completely oblivious to their surroundings.

#7 ·
BonkedAgain said:
I know all the readers of this forum are courteous, so we should remind those other people that they need to be good citizens as well so that we don't get banned from the city trails.
Somehow, I don't see how Boulder could ban bikes on the bikepaths. That's just silly. How would they possibly enforce it? You're not supposed to ride a bike on the sidewalk, but I've been doing it for close to 30 years and have never gotten a ticket. I don't plan on stopping , either.

#8 ·
I posted this somewhere last week, just an observation about folks who, because of the high price of gas, have begun riding a bike. These are the folks who will be giving all of us a bad name.

"So with the price of gas these days I've been noticing more non-riders riding around town these days. How can you spot a non-riding rider? You know the ones who haven't oiled their chain since they bought the bike, smoking a cig, no grips on the bike, riding on the sidewalk and flying into intersections, carrying grocery bags on each end of the handlebars, drunk, wheezing, etc...
Just got back from lunch and saw two of these folks almost get creamed by cars. As I mentioned, one was flying down the sidewalk and came cruising out into the intersection without looking and almost got T-boned. Another gentleman was riding along down the street holding his groceries on his bars (both ends) when a car began to back out, car stopped but the guy made no attempt to slow himself down (appeared he saw the car) then made a WTF gesture towards the car. Not saying he didn't have the right of way but just looked clueless as to how to ride defensively.
I'm glad to see people out on bikes but hellfire, it's scary out there."

Now think of these folks commuting on the bike paths, sidewalks and streets with the non-riding public. Could be troubled times...

#9 ·
Fat Elvis said:
Somehow, I don't see how Boulder could ban bikes on the bikepaths. That's just silly. How would they possibly enforce it? You're not supposed to ride a bike on the sidewalk, but I've been doing it for close to 30 years and have never gotten a ticket. I don't plan on stopping , either.
I wish this were true. Wash Park has the same problem with clueless peds who seem to be able to cross the road outside the park, but suddenly forget to look both ways when crossing the road inside the park. What happens? Accidents. What were the results of the accidents? Cops patrolling the park and writing tickets for anyone on a bike going over 15 mph.:madman:

If enough people or the right person in Boulder starts b*tching enough, don't be surpirsed if they start handing out the tickets.

#11 ·
mtbfool said:
I wish this were true. Wash Park has the same problem with clueless peds who seem to be able to cross the road outside the park, but suddenly forget to look both ways when crossing the road inside the park. What happens? Accidents. What were the results of the accidents? Cops patrolling the park and writing tickets for anyone on a bike going over 15 mph.:madman:

If enough people or the right person in Boulder starts b*tching enough, don't be surpirsed if they start handing out the tickets.
There's an easy answer to that problem: move out of Boulder. Boulder blows.

#15 ·
jugdish said:
Boulder Daily Camera

CYCLISTS

Why don't bikes need a license?

I have been a Boulder city resident for 34 years and am a dog owner who also rides a bike and walks extensively on Boulder city paths and trails. I am required to pay $14 per year to license my dog. Now, in addition, I am required to pay an additional $15 for another license in order to walk my dog off-leash in the few areas where that is allowed. In addition, to get the second license, and pay what amounts to a double dog tax, I must watch a video which will tell me all about proper dog behavior.

It's been my experience that, with exceptions, it is the bicyclists who are the most misbehaved, rude and just plain dangerous users of Boulder's multiple-use trails and paths. They frequently pass walkers and other bikers at a dangerously fast speed and seldom give any warning. I believe it's an ordinance that when passing other bikers or walkers you must alert them that you're passing. I was riding my bike the other day and one of them passed me, with no warning - on the right!

Where I grew up in Evanston, Ill., everyone who rode a bike was required to purchase a bike license. And everyone who drives a car must have a license and pass a test showing that they know the rules of the road. I propose that anyone riding a bicycle in the Boulder city limits be required to watch a video on appropriate bike etiquette and pay a nominal fee for a bicycle license. Further that there be hefty fines for a) not having a license, b) violating the rules and c) endangering other users of the paths - including the dogs.

BARBARA LAMM
Boulder

Sounds like she's upset over having to license her dog and lashing out. It does make you wonder how people like this come to their conclusions about bikes.
What, in 34 years in Boulder, she's still pining for Evanston? Here's a great idea, move back!!!!!

#16 ·
Tsk, tsk, people, don't you know in Boulder you cannot OWN a dog! You only have the right to be a dog's GUARDIAN. Look it up. It's the law. Maybe dogs should license their guardians.

And, also, if you're gonna live or play in Boulder get one thing straight: When people there are in their cars, you're the idiot for driving, walking or riding wrong. When they get out of their cars to be a pedestrian, you're still an idiot, just an anti-pedestrian one. And when they get on their Huffy or whatever, you're still an idiot, this time a boob who just doesn't "get it". Living in Boulder requires genetic superiority, no matter the circumstance or situation.

#17 ·
Yea just what we need another reasson to pay the man more money (bike license). Doesn't he get enough of my pay check 30% I think.Then he taxes me on all the goods I buy, yea just what we need another reason to give him money WAKE UP people! And Boulder does suck I avoid it as much as posible never ride there and never will. Just my 2 cents!

#19 ·
Glenn D. said:
That's where water bottles prove superior to camelbaks in their ability to project a "passing warning". After three verbal warnings, it seems to work well.

Glenn D.
Hmm, I like that idea. Sounds perfect for the rollerbladers that take up the whole path and have dogs running around on extendaleashes ready to make you endo.

#21 ·
geee, one post and

Geee whiz, one post about one letter to the editor and people start saying Boulder sucks! I've lived in the town since the Mork and Mindy days and the one bad thing that happened there is when they closed city open space to mountain biking. I couldn't fault them too much 'cause there were plenty of young college kids bombing around with no consideration. Nowadays though, what town has more miles of bike paths for the area? None that I've seen. And there are more riders per capita than anywhere else I know. All those riders on the streets help educate the car drivers that they need to share the road. I see far many more oblivious/dangerous car drivers elsewhere when I travel. Boulder is pretty safe for cyclists. Certainly it's cycling friendly. :thumbsup:

#22 ·
I'll be happy to pay

I have no problem with giving Boulder more money provided they open back up the trails they closed to me in the last 20 years.:madmax:

I find it amazing that the home of IMBA manages to produce less miles of open trails than Jefferson, Larimar, and El Paso counties. They have to pay to gain access to for their dog, great. I'll pay if they open back up the trails to me. Currently, I have to pay taxes to maintain trails which I'm legally forbidden to ride. What a wonderful deal. :madman:

#23 ·
I'm finding it funny that a lot of people here are labeling the people of Boulder as nuts, hippies, stupid, etc.

Kinda ironic how the same people will get all worked up if someone out there says all mountain bikers are rude/inconsiderate after meeting one guy on the trail that is that way.

Don't stereotype an entire group over one person or even a few people. Every group has their crazies!

#24 ·
nepbug said:
I'm finding it funny that a lot of people here are labeling the people of Boulder as nuts, hippies, stupid, etc.

Kinda ironic how the same people will get all worked up if someone out there says all mountain bikers are rude/inconsiderate after meeting one guy on the trail that is that way.

Don't stereotype an entire group over one person or even a few people. Every group has their crazies!
I agree, stereotyping is silly. With that said, Boulder still blows.

#25 ·
Yet another upset dog owner pointing fingers at riders. Perhaps if we were allowed on all the trails in the Open Space system I'd pay the 15 clams the lady is complaining about. Skip down to the second from last paragraph. From the Daily Camera, August 27th:

DOGS

Guardians singled out unfairly here

I want to interject some reality into the Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks TAG program that began Aug. 7.

As a dutiful guardian of my dog, I logged onto the OSMP Web site and viewed the 11-minute video informing me of the proper rules and etiquette of the trails. While watching the well-behaved German shepherd respond quite nicely to his/her guardian, I couldn't help but wonder how many takes and or treats were necessary to achieve this high level of attentiveness.

How did the OSMP choose this animal for the video? Did they pick him/her out of a cattle call choosing the best and brightest to represent the entire population of dogs in Boulder? I mean no disrespect toward this dog or the guardian, but in my experience this dog's behavior is part of a minority, not the majority.

I understand scientists have determined that dogs have the intelligence of a 3-year-old child. I ask you, what 3-year-old totally involved with a toy immediately responds to a parent's request? Dogs in turn become singularly focused on elements in their world (other dogs, interesting smells and the need for a drink of water) that might preclude them from responding within the OSMP's definition of a timely manner. I have seen otherwise-engrossed dogs respond within a few seconds of being called and consider this more in keeping with the innate intelligence of dogs in general.

The OSMP is a public entity and so receives public money to sustain its existence. Why then am I required to pay $15 for my dog to wear a green tag to fund a public-information campaign that, in my opinion, should be part of the OSMP's existing budget? I heard from an open-space ranger that there were quite a few glitches causing this program to go over budget. I have also heard form other guardians that they have experienced difficulty accessing the Web site to view the video.

My last point has to do with dog guardians' seemingly being singled out as the bad guys of Boulder trails. We are one population that makes up a larger number of people using the scenic trails of Boulder, and like every population there are a few inattentive individuals who spoil it for the others. I ask this question directly to OSMP regarding other demographic bad apples. Will other users of the trails need to go through a similar education process to understand what is expected? For example, will mountain bikers be required to watch a video to learn the proper way to approach people already on the trail (may we approach)? Then possibly pay $15 to wear a tag showing that they understand what is required?

Boulder's beautiful open spaces and mountain parks are enjoyed by a diverse population. I ask the OSMP department to be vigilant in not singling out one particular segment but work toward educating all users of these areas in the proper etiquette and rules of the trails, keeping their expectations grounded in reality and within their budgetary needs.

TERI JACOBSON
Boulder

#26 ·
Don't go thinkin' you cruiser riders are any better, you beasts. I like where he threatens violence. From the Daily Camera the following day, August 28th:

CRUISERS

Thursday rides are out of control

Arriving in Boulder September 1974 — preceding the Pearl Street Mall by three summers — this Boulderino feels the community needs to address a recent development that seems to be reeling out of control — the Thursday Cruiser Rides that evolved over the last few years. Like the mid-1980s "Mall Crawls" centering on Halloween, this foolish, dangerous and exhibitionist behavior may follow a similar arc — increased crowds, drinking and chaos, resulting in swift extinction by police and community pressure.

Crossing 13th where it swings into westbound Spruce, I was in the marked crosswalk, yet several onrushing "cruisers" even accelerated and sped up, other becoming profane, abusive and threatening. A Vietnam combat vet and instructor, I would need little time nor incentive to cane these guttersnipes to civility, and I feel many agree that these rides are rapidly becoming a major threat to riders, motorists, pedestrians, many elderly, children in strollers, or adolescents who are still abroad Thursday evenings at 8 or 9 p.m.

I further believe that City Council should address this behavior swiftly and decisively, ere it follow the ill-starred course of Mall Crawl, ideally by ordinance, and direct Boulder police to improve self-regulation among oft-intoxicated riders and add bicycle officers to warn, cite and detain the most irresponsible miscreants. Similarly, the guiding lights of the Thursday "rides" need to note the problems and move to stronger efforts to engender group as well as individual self-regulation, always a hot-button issue in liberal Boul-dah!

MIKE READE
Boulder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.