Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bad Case of the Mondays

Interbike possibly relocating to Denver in 2009

From Velonews.com

Interbike considering change of venue

By VeloNews.com
    Posted Jan. 24, 2008
    Interbike could be looking at Las Vegas in a whole new way come 2009 —in the rear-view mirror.
    The trade show’s contract with the Sands Convention Center ends when the ’09 expo closes its doors, and Interbike industry consultant Lance Camisasca reviewed a couple of options for alternative venues — including Denver, Colorado, and Anaheim, California — during the 11th annual Bicycle Leadership Conference January 19 in San Diego, California.
    Camisasca said Interbike's top venue requirements include:
    • Contiguous exhibit space of at least 700,000 gross square-feet and ample meeting room space.
    • A location that will help maximize retailer and manufacturer attendance.
    • A large, diverse selection of hotels, restaurants and entertainment options near the events.
    • An international airport within close proximity to the event with many flight options, numerous carriers and low airfare rates.
    • Relaxed labor-union regulations and high-quality services.
    • An OutDoor Demo site with great weather, extensive cross-country/downhill trails and a closed road loop.
    • An event market recognized as a “cycling culture” destination.
    Denver and Anaheim come closest to meeting all the requirements. Both have the requisite space, restaurants, hotels and entertainment options; both are located in areas that would maximize attendance; and both are recognized as cycling culture destinations.
    Advertisement

A question-and-answer session found support for a move, but no clear consensus on either city.
    "Denver is a much more bicycle-friendly city than Las Vegas, Salt Lake City or Anaheim, and the Outdoor Demo options near Denver are excellent," said Tim Blumenthal, executive director of the Bikes Belong Coalition.
    "From a Denver standpoint, however, I'm concerned about the hotels and transportation, as Denver has not handled a show of Interbike's size before. So at this point I would say yes to Anaheim for the next three or four years, with a plan to move to Denver after that."
    Tim Jackson, brand manager for Masi Bikes, said Interbike’s previous incarnations in Anaheim "were not all that great."
    However, he added: "Given the needs of the show and the industry, Anaheim is looking a lot better. With a newly remodeled and really gorgeous convention center and an eagerness from the city to lure the industry back, Anaheim is rapidly becoming a contender for me. When you add in the already existing infrastructure - they're harder to beat all the time."
    Camisasca said Interbike will need to decide whether to renew with the Sands or move by mid-2008.

mtbr member
    I hope the city of Denver is getting on this; it would be great for the city....the SIA trade show is moving from Vegas to Denver in 2011 I believe. If we can handle the SIA, I am sure we can handle the Interbike....not to mention the DNC. If Denver gets Interbike along with the SIA locked up; that is a nice piece of consistent revenue for the city.

Perpetually single track
    Anaheim, a cycling culture destination? Huh....never got that vibe when I was in CA...

I think I can.

Destination?

If you look at Anaheim its going to take you more than an hour to get to any decent riding, even the beach is 45 minutes on a good day. Oh I know they can drive 2 hrs and get up into big bear where you can enjoy riding straight up and then back down a trail designated for hikers

If they are looking for culture they should be looking at Denver, Salt Lake City or Albuquerque. All are able to handle the growing interest in biking and can offer participants a chance to engage in there choice of riding styles.

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    It would be great if Denver could get I-bike from a purely selfish standpoint, but the biggest drawbacks are going to be parking and reasonable hotel rates. Trails are reasonably close.

Anaheim? Pffff... It would take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to get to any decent trails and as joeMTBrcolorado pointed out- big time trail user conflicts with that many people trying to hit the trails at once. The militant bark eating foot soldiers would be livid.

I think Lost Wages will ensure that Interbike stays there.
    The more I drink, the smarter you get.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Anaheim? what a POS...popular for conferences and the such and I get it but for Interbike? how friggin lame

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    WTF? What are you doing lurking on the FRange forum?

Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    WTF? What are you doing lurking on the FRange forum?
    pretending I lived in a place other than Gheylifornia

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    [QUOTE=FoShizzle]pretending I lived in a place other than Gheylifornia

Haha, You know you love it. When are you going to build up that Urban stealth bike?

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    A Denver I-Bike would be great. The biggest drawback I could see, ironically, is a good spot for the Dirt Demo. Bootleg Canyon is an absolutely awesome venue, hard to beat on a number of levels. Winter Park may be a good option, maybe Keystone too. They could fire up the Ski Train for WP, that'd be sick. I suppose any venue here would be better than what they could put together in Anaheim though.

Cheap Flights: check.
    Convention Space: check
    Titty bars: check
    Hotel Rooms: a maybe, but cyclists are a resourceful bunch
    Parking: Not so much an issue

I would so much rather ride my bike down to the convention center than go to focking Anaheim. Yuck.

Perpetual slow motion
    Feb 2007
    Why Winter Park or Keystone? The best dirt demo would be Apex. Hmmmm... shuttling Apex would be awesome

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ban'd4life
    Why Winter Park or Keystone? The best dirt demo would be Apex. Hmmmm... shuttling Apex would be awesome
    That's a rad idea

MTB B'dos
    I really can't see how you'd choose Anaheim over Denver for a MTB Convention, there's just way more good places close by to do the outdoor demo and the overall MTB feel in CO is there.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I really can't see how you'd choose Anaheim over Denver for a MTB Convention, there's just way more good places close by to do the outdoor demo and the overall MTB feel in CO is there.
    I guess you've spent a fair amount of time in Anaheim then? .......And I guess you realize that there is a huge concentration of bike component manufacturers and distributors here in SoCal? ..........And I guess you probably know that Interbike was held in Anaheim before it moved to Vegas?

And finally....I guess you really know the local trail system to make the classic statement that there is just nowhere close to the venue to hold the outdoor demo.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I guess you've spent a fair amount of time in Anaheim then? .......And I guess you realize that there is a huge concentration of bike component manufacturers and distributors here in SoCal? ..........And I guess you probably know that Interbike was held in Anaheim before it moved to Vegas?

And finally....I guess you really know the local trail system to make the classic statement that there is just nowhere close to the venue to hold the outdoor demo.

B
    though seriously donkey, would you want to see it in Anaheim? Selfishly it woudl be cool for folks who live in SoCal I guess and yes the riding, if you know where to go can be good, but its still Anaheim.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    though seriously donkey, would you want to see it in Anaheim? Selfishly it woudl be cool for folks who live in SoCal I guess and yes the riding, if you know where to go can be good, but its still Anaheim.
    I'd love to see Interbike leave Vegas. Having to spend a week in Vegas every year is just getting old.

I think Denver or SLC would be great.....but I think Anaheim was an awesome venue as well.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    I'd love to see Interbike leave Vegas. Having to spend a week in Vegas every year is just getting old.

I think Denver or SLC would be great.....but I think Anaheim was an awesome venue as well.

B
    when in anaheim, or if in anaheim again, where might the dirt demo stuff be you think? the convention center area itself is pretty accomodating for the show i would imagine

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    when in anaheim, or if in anaheim again, where might the dirt demo stuff be you think? the convention center area itself is pretty accomodating for the show i would imagine
    In Denver, in October, where would the dirt demo be that could be consistently be predicted to be good given the climate and the numbers of riders attracted?

I have to think that the climate in October favors Anaheim, unless they plan on moving I-bike a few months earlier to ensure any riding time that is not dependent on weather.

mtbr member
    Is this event even open to the public? Selishly I would want to comb the show, but I also understand the exposure aspect?

Just curious if non inductry peeps could get in.

Higher Exploration
    Its supposed to be industry only, but if it were here in Denver I would have find a way to sneak in. It wouldn't be fair

slow
    My choice:
    1. Denver
    2. Vegas
    3. Anaheim

I like the thought of a Denver I-Bike. Seems like it has been discussed off and on for the past 20 years. Would be convenient and more central location than LA. Lots of Colorado based companies in the industry now (though still less than LA).

Vegas has a lot going for it. I attended 3 or 4 Anaheim Interbike shows, and 3 or 4 Vegas Interbike shows, as well as 5-6 Ski Industry of America Vegas shows. I don't care for Vegas much, but travel and lodging are cheap. I am with a company that held its annual convention in Vegas each of the last 4 years and moved to Atlanta this year. Hotel costs are triple and airfare is at least double in Atlanta. It makes me appreciate Vegas more.

Back when I-bike was in Anaheim, I don't remember a dirt demo and I don't know the area well enough to know if there are any decent trails with the capacity to hold the dirt demo event reasonably close to the convention center.

mtbr member
    I've mtn biked in Vegas a few times (but never at Interbike). There's some good stuff there. BUT SWEET JESUS PLEASE LET THE DIRT DEMO COME TO DENVER!!!!

Goofing off?
    "From a Denver standpoint, however, I'm concerned about the hotels and transportation, as Denver has not handled a show of Interbike's size before."

Dissagree. Otherwise, the National Democatic Convention would not be in Denver this summer.

Your retarded
    If they do host it in Denver, I hope they pick an earlier date so arrangements with the resorts can be made. I'm not confident that the local front range trails, which already see enough conflicts due to the high user density, would be able to accommodate the extra volume of riders during Interbike. Well they probably could handle the extra volume, but not without a fair bit of complaints from local trail users. Those complaints would likely go right up the political power tree and I'd image they'd have a less than positive effect on our access.

Flowtron's suggestion about the ski train is a dang good one. Plus, it might be seen as an extra perk for Interbike attendees; drink and party on the way up and down from some real world, resort dirt demos and never have to drive more than 15 minutes. That'd be pretty appealing if you ask me.
    A trail that’s too difficult wouldn’t exist because it’d never be used. But, trails can exist that’re too difficult for you.

Higher Exploration
    Denver was a candidate for the winter olympics too, but SLC won out on that, for some ridiculous reason. I dislike SLC, and most of utah in general
    Last edited by EggsnBacon; 01-28-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast