mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Intemann or Section 16?

I'm fairly new to the area still and want to ride a new trail Saturday. I'm an intermediate rider and have riden Falcon Trail, Mt. Herman and Palmer Park so far. I was thinking of hitting either Intemann or Section 16 Saturday. Am I in over my head? Which do you guys recommend? What's the best route?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crosey View Post
    I'm fairly new to the area still and want to ride a new trail Saturday. I'm an intermediate rider and have riden Falcon Trail, Mt. Herman and Palmer Park so far. I was thinking of hitting either Intemann or Section 16 Saturday. Am I in over my head? Which do you guys recommend? What's the best route?
    Heading down to pueblo on saturday, if you would like to check out something new.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I appreciate the offer Rich. I probably won't have time to go to Pueblo this weekend. I may take you up on that some other time though!

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    You haven't ridden the Chutes-Buckhorn-Capt. Jacks loop?
    Or Cheyenne Mtn State Park?

leashem
    Section 16 is best done in the clockwise direction. You can Google the route and will find directions. If you want to add miles you can start in Bear Creek or start at Red Rocks open space. The best way to get to know the trails in and around Cheyenne Canyon is to ride with a local. I may be riding Saturday morning and could show you around a bit. PM me,

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you guys end up meeting up post what time and where, rather then drive all the way down to pueblo, maybe i will check out something new in the springs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    You haven't ridden the Chutes-Buckhorn-Capt. Jacks loop?
    Or Cheyenne Mtn State Park?
    I haven't yet. I've heard good things. Should I ride those first?

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    I haven't yet. I've heard good things. Should I ride those first?
    Not sure, it was just a suggestion for some more local trails.

Snow is ok but I'm not a big fan of riding on ice.
    I haven't ridden anything up in Cheyenne Canon lately... I would think there is probably ice on Palmer Trail in Sec. 16. Intemann may be ok.

Except for the first half of Capt. Jacks, the Chutes/Buckhorn/Capt. Jacks all get a little more sun than some of the Sec. 16 trails.

CMSP is a good bet since it's lower and everything has already melted.
    The ground is also frozen now now so the dirt is really good just about everywhere.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    After the thinking about riding into a switchback covered in ice, I've decided to go to CMSP tomorrow. I have no clue what time. I finally get to sleep in tomorrow and I plan on doing that. So after a couple cups of coffee I'm gonna head out and explore the plethora of trails at CMSP. Thanks for the input fellas

Goat Head
    For the future, Intemann trail is best used as a connector to get to Red Rocks from either the Section 16 side or the Crystal Park rd side--and preferably the Section 16 side. That said, I think everyone should make the pilgrimage from Section 16 to Manitou. It has some anti-fun parts but that kind of thing builds character, no?

Also, give Palmer trail a try as an out and back--but be sure to take a left at the turn off for Section 16 and climb up the extra mile to the dead end at Crystal Park rd before you turn around. It doesn't have the fun gnar factor, but the extra 50 turns make up for it. Back at the ranger station, take a right and go hit Stephanie's trail back over to the base of Section 16.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Went to CMSP today thanks for suggestion, great place some nice climbs not technical but kept me going. Condtions were great. Where to next, i have been to palmer and thats it in the springs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    CMSP was great! I enjoyed it today. Depending on weather and schedule I'll most likely ride somewhere Saturday. I'll keep you posted wherever I decide to go.