mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Informative note about trails in Larimer County

I just figured it was time to chime in and fill everyone in about some things going on in Larimer County.

I am sure that you all up fairly up to date about the upcoming temporary trail closure at Devil's Backbone Open Space. As you also know, that closure is getting replaced with the expansion into the Indian Creek Open Space to the north of DB. Eventually, DB and IC will hook up with Rim Rock Open Space before travelling north under CR38E (hopefully, if they get the enhancement money), through the campground to the Soderberg Open Space, and finally into HMP and Lory State Park.

Pretty sweet! The regional trail is a really great idea.

At Lory State Park, we are doing our best to add to this trail. In the next 2-3 years, we are planning to open 8 miles of trail to multi-use. You will be able to ride all the way up the hill to the base of Arthur's Rock. Hopefully in the future, there will be a ridge top connector to HMP.

The City of Fort Collins needs some work. Most of the poeple over there would like to see mountain bikers banned from the natural area trails.

City of Loveland is being very prolific with building hard surface bike trails through the city. I am not sure why they don't try to get into the land buying frenzie to create more natural areas/open space.

As we all know, the USFS could use a bunch of work. It was encouraging that they did have 4 people to work on trails this summer though.

I know that losing trail is the not the best thing. But in the next 2-3 years, the Larimer County area will see close to 20 miles of new trail. That doesn't even count a future open space (another hopefully) out by Owl Canyon. I am game for building technical trail. It is completely awesome that my boss will actually listen to me about building technical trail features and maybe even a skilz park (slim possibility, but I wasn't laughed out of the room).

However, having two advocacy organizations in a small area can't be good. I agree that DPMBP may not be the most represenational. But we do have good connections. I would like to see the patrol role into a regional club that has a patrol and a great reputation for advocacy, trail work, and medical.

Let's organize together. I personally can speak from both sides of the line. As a worker bee for a land agency, I would not want to deal with 3 different organizations of the same user group. With that in mind, we need to bicker amongst ourselves and then go to the land agency with a definitive idea of what we have in mind. We all want to ride and be challenged on our bikes.

Greg

Professional Lurker
    Thanks for the good words Greg!

I am surprised to hear that the Fort Collins bureaucrats are so against protecting open-space and having bikes allowed to ride there. With all our bike paths and wide bike lanes, you'd think they were a little more pro-bike!?

Also, I am surprised that the big bike shops like Lee's and Rock 'n Road don't get involved more in trail advocacy. As I see it, less trails means less sales for them. So it'd be like they were 'investing' in their future!

You mentioned building a new multi-use trail in Lory. That's great! I'd love to see more great bike trails up there. Before the flood (circa 1997) I used to ride up Timber Trail to Arthur's Rock. That was a sweet and burly trail. You had to hike a few sections on the way up, but it was all ridable on the way down. That was my favorite trail back then (even better than Wathen in HTMP) But apparently after the flood, all the water run-off ruined the trail and they never opened it back up to mtb.

Keep us in the know for anything new and what we can do to help get more trails/land open for bikers!

Keep fighting the good fight!
    I have no idea what I'm talking about...But yeah, that sounds about right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    SilentK,

Two different departments. The bike paths are in the parks department, which is really great in accepting different forms of activities (look at the new skate parks, etc). Bike lanes are streets and legally required (I think).

Lee's helped me promote some trail days this year. I did not approach rnr because I really have not had good experiences there.