Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Informal ride/race idea...

842 views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  COmtbiker12 
#1 ·
Driving home after riding palmer park for the 4th weekend out of the last 6, I was daydreaming of ways to make it more interesting. Don't get me wrong, I love palmer, but in my average ride there I cover almost every trail I know and like.

So this is what I came up with:
1. Get one of those good photo trail maps of palmer shrink it and insert roughly 10-20 waypoints throughout the park

2. Distribute modified maps to da dudes, everyone needs a watch

3. Everyone show up and throw a cold one in a cooler ( or some other ante) for the winner.

4. Take off for the first waypoint chosen at random, take whatever route you think is fastest for your riding style

5. First guy to the waypoint starts his stopwatch and picks next waypoint, after some amount of time he informs everyone of the next waypoint and takes off.

6. Repeat 5 with the wait time slowly decreasing until nobody shows in the allotted time.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like an awesome type of race...only thing is I'd hate to see something like this in Palmer on a busy weekend. We'd really piss of some hikers and equestrians!

I too love and brag about Palmer...but I'm also getting a little bored with it. I recently started riding Lake Pueblo State Park. It is FANTASTIC, so many different trail loops can be combined just like at Palmer.

#8 ·
I think it should be a skins game instead. So at each stage the entire pack reunites but if the first guy to the waypoint has more than say a 15 sec lead he wins the skin otherwise it pushes.

It is definitly complicated and would have to be run on a weekday evening.

I just think it could be cool, say you were out on the west mesa and the next point was the base of south canyon trail, some guys would brave the edna mae stairs, others might go back and down trail next to paseo, and maybe others would head towards the overlook then down south canyon.

It would test your knowledge of the park.

It is a pretty half baked idea...

#13 ·
KaiMana said:
I think it should be a skins game instead. So at each stage the entire pack reunites but if the first guy to the waypoint has more than say a 15 sec lead he wins the skin otherwise it pushes.

It is definitly complicated and would have to be run on a weekday evening.

I just think it could be cool, say you were out on the west mesa and the next point was the base of south canyon trail, some guys would brave the edna mae stairs, others might go back and down trail next to paseo, and maybe others would head towards the overlook then down south canyon.

It would test your knowledge of the park.

It is a pretty half baked idea...
Or what if we got some little flag things (like during flag football) and everybody has something that they attach these flags too. The flags are scattered at various points throughout the park (color coded of course) and then The person that gathers the most in the shortest amount of time wins?

#16 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
Or what if we got some little flag things (like during flag football) and everybody has something that they attach these flags too. The flags are scattered at various points throughout the park (color coded of course) and then The person that gathers the most in the shortest amount of time wins?
you just officially hit the nerdishly overthought level

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.