Rocket Scientist

Inexpensive Tubeless Mountain Bike Tire Conversion

There has been alot of talk about going Tubeless, so I figured I would post this Link to NSMB...

North Shore Mountain Biking e Magazine - Go Tubeless. Cheap.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    There has been alot of talk about going Tubeless, so I figured I would post this Link to NSMB...

North Shore Mountain Biking e Magazine - Go Tubeless. Cheap.
    That's a pretty well documented process. I did the Stan's conversion to my normal rims and tires and while it was very simple, it was also more expensive (about $50). I might try this setup on my wife's bike and see how it works, I hate dealing with tubes anymore.

BTW, not a single flat in 8 months since switching to Stans....

icegeek is hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    That's a pretty well documented process. I did the Stan's conversion to my normal rims and tires and while it was very simple, it was also more expensive (about $50). I might try this setup on my wife's bike and see how it works, I hate dealing with tubes anymore.

BTW, not a single flat in 8 months since switching to Stans....
    Stan's is great, no question, but I still think the handling and feel of tubeless tires are a little better overall. Maybe it's just in my head. But for the cost, effectiveness, and weight difference, Stan's is an excellent choice.

Rocket Scientist
    I did mine using the same process mentioned in the Thread.
    Except I bought Slime from the Mx shop.
    Same result, no flats in 5 or 6 months.
    My only question is where can you get liquid latex in Denver?
    Sex shop???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Michaels

Michaels craft store sells it both premixed and powdered. Cheap and easy, and works well, especially when mixed with some slime..

mtbr member
    You say you haven't had any flats in months, is this on a XC bike?
    I was wondering how these would work on FR/DH riding.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz
    Yes, mine is basically an XC/Trailbike. I do some small drops every now and then, but mostly just XC type riding.

I have "burped" my Stan's rims once or twice, so I'm not sure if they are great for DH/FR type applications, for that I think I'd probably go with real UST rims/tires and just add some sealant. The next set of wheels I build will probably be UST.

Stand back

fr usage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Yes, mine is basically an XC/Trailbike. I do some small drops every now and then, but mostly just XC type riding.

I have "burped" my Stan's rims once or twice, so I'm not sure if they are great for DH/FR type applications, for that I think I'd probably go with real UST rims/tires and just add some sealant. The next set of wheels I build will probably be UST.

I ran the Stan's FR kit in my Sun Singletracks this year. The wider rimstrips fit perfectly, and it worked great except for big tire-cutting flats which would've flatted me even with tubes. 2 flats in the exact same spot at WP 100 yds from the top of the lift, and I could never find the culprit rock. Bastige...
    But never had a problem aside from those flats, and they maybe could've been avoided with a heavier tire than the WTB's I've been running.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Rocket Scientist
    Mine is on my DH Bike....Works awesome!!!

My cup runneth over
    I have been running Stan's in my Quasimoto for a couple of years and have gotten tired of the inflation process (but love the tubeless benefits). I don't have a compressor and end up getting the seal started with CO2 (not recommended). Multiple tires (Mavic 517 and 618 rims) and multiple refills (some tires go through the goo in a couple of weeks others months and months). I saw this link and tried it last night on my Burner with Conti Vertical pros and DT Swiss rims. The tire inflated with a floor pump immediately. In fact it was so easy I almost gave it a try with a hand pump! It may be my tire and rim combination or dumb luck but it seems mighty coincidental that both tires inflated easily with the 20" inner tube method while I have only ever got one tire to inflate with Stan's with a floor pump in probably 20 -30 tries and that was with a huge effort. I noticed that as I was mounting the tire back onto the rim for the Burner that the soap was bubbling out just from my pressing on the tire - seems like the seal was 'waiting to happen'. Not sure of others' experience with both these systems and don't want to imply that my experience necessarily translates unilaterally.

One other note, I had a spare Stan's strip and tried to install it on the DT Swiss rim a couple of nights ago and had no luck, I couldn't get the strip to sit properly even with drilling out the stem hole quite a lot. I wonder if I needed a different strip for the narrower rim. Either way I didn't want to keep drilling out the stem hole and gave up.

20 mile ride today on the Burner and no problems!

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    I have been running Stan's in my Quasimoto for a couple of years and have gotten tired of the inflation process (but love the tubeless benefits). I don't have a compressor and end up getting the seal started with CO2 (not recommended). Multiple tires (Mavic 517 and 618 rims) and multiple refills (some tires go through the goo in a couple of weeks others months and months). I saw this link and tried it last night on my Burner with Conti Vertical pros and DT Swiss rims. The tire inflated with a floor pump immediately. In fact it was so easy I almost gave it a try with a hand pump! It may be my tire and rim combination or dumb luck but it seems mighty coincidental that both tires inflated easily with the 20" inner tube method while I have only ever got one tire to inflate with Stan's with a floor pump in probably 20 -30 tries and that was with a huge effort. I noticed that as I was mounting the tire back onto the rim for the Burner that the soap was bubbling out just from my pressing on the tire - seems like the seal was 'waiting to happen'. Not sure of others' experience with both these systems and don't want to imply that my experience necessarily translates unilaterally.

One other note, I had a spare Stan's strip and tried to install it on the DT Swiss rim a couple of nights ago and had no luck, I couldn't get the strip to sit properly even with drilling out the stem hole quite a lot. I wonder if I needed a different strip for the narrower rim. Either way I didn't want to keep drilling out the stem hole and gave up.

20 mile ride today on the Burner and no problems!
    I've installed 4 tires with Stans on standard rims with a floor pump with little to no problems. I think the tire/rim combination has a lot to do with it, as I have friends who can't get them seated up without a compressor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How Much to Mix??

Quote Originally Posted by brucerobs
    Michaels craft store sells it both premixed and powdered. Cheap and easy, and works well, especially when mixed with some slime..
    ]

Awesome link! How much Latex, water, slime combo do you use?

Rocket Scientist
    I Managed to gather all of the supplies mentioned in the Article,
    But Micheals Does not Carry Liquid Latex. I Had to goto Facsinations
    for that. And As I understand the Mixture to be...To get the bottle mentioned
    I went ahead and purchased the 8oz Slime Sealant and used that on another Bike.
    1 Part Liquic Latex
    4 Parts Water
    1 Part Fix a Flat

that us not mentioned in the artcle.
    all in all, I should be good to go for trying my hand at my own mixture.
    Post mixture posts in the future.
    -BP

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    I run a homemade set up with BMX tubes and DH tires on 219s (not quite a DH set up, but you get the idea). I've a Conti Diesel out back and a Mobster 2.7 up front, and have had no problems what so ever. I raced this set up at 24 Hrs/Moab with aplomb, and everything is still where I left it.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Rocket Scientist
    I thought I'd revive this thread for Snowskilz and SIn since they both Pinch Flatted on a good shuttle ride the other day...

eci
    I thought I'd revive this thread for Snowskilz and SIn since they both Pinch Flatted on a good shuttle ride the other day...
    i shall kill you if you hurt my people

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Where was that Apex

Stand back

maxxis

Maxxis makes tubeless rimstrips, too - $5 ea...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

eci
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeandski
    Where was that Apex
    no it was on the cherry creek bike path...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snowskilz
    no it was on the cherry creek bike path...
    Sweet, I heard that was a pretty sick shuttle!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Maxxis makes tubeless rimstrips, too - $5 ea...
    I have not tried the Maxxis rim strips but 20" BMX tubes work great, cheap too!