Stayin' Puft

Indian Creek...It's a cryin' shame...

Anyone know what happened out at Indian Creek trail 800 off of Waterton? The nice, long straight descent along Roxborough park with all the whoop-de-do's or berm/jumps in it is completely gutted and trashed. Like someone drove along with a bulldozer, and then chopped up all the wood into sticks and branches that are strewn all over what is left of the trail. I would consider it hazardous to mountain bikers, and runners/hikers, maybe even horses.

I can only guess that Jefferson county did this...anyone into trail advocacy have any idea what the heck they were thinking? I am hoping this is an interim step and they intend to clean up the mess. That was one of the funner sections of the trail.

Note, other than the usual spring puddles, the rest of the loop was tacky goodness. Some nice snow piles still lying along the side of the fire road descent section, nothing you had to ride through.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Sonuva... I'm heading out today to ride Indian Creek, and I'm bummed about this report. Hope it isn't too messed up out there... I'll try to bring the camera for a picture of the area. Thanks for the heads up, canyonrat.

mtbr member

I was going to ride there today!

That's too bad. For the record- Waterton is not part of the JeffCo open space trail system. So it's probably not them.

Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    Sonuva... I'm heading out today to ride Indian Creek, ....
    Keep an eye out for a speeding pink Ells

Logging? Thinning undergrowth/fire mitigation? I've seen something similar in Buff Creek area on a lesser known trail.

Ed
    Last edited by edemtbs; 05-11-2008 at 07:25 AM.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Was this on the section before you connect back with the rox loop? It doesn't sound like it was on the ringtail trail. Based on what you saw how much would you consider not ridable? Sorry for the barage of questions just wondering as I was wanting to get out there soon. This week.

thanks
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I'll be out there myself today, leaving in about 20-30 minutes. I'll be on a black Knolly.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    Was this on the section before you connect back with the rox loop? It doesn't sound like it was on the ringtail trail. Based on what you saw how much would you consider not ridable? Sorry for the barage of questions just wondering as I was wanting to get out there soon. This week.

thanks
    Not like it is unridable, by all means, go help pack it down... the bulk of the trail is still really nice. I just could not figure out why they did the "maintenance" that they did, which just junked a small section of the trail. It will all rot out and become a trail again over time, just a shame since it was a portion of trail that required no changes that I could see, it used to be a fast sequence of jumps...

I actually had a branch on that section flip up and bend out my water bottle cage. Sort of a bizzare occurance, I just looked down and it was bent out all the sudden and my bottle was flopping around. I imagine it came from a loose stick that flipped up...I am just glad at this point it didn't stab me in the leg or anything... ;-)

Now with 20% more fat!!
    I didn't get any "good" pics of the damage... ended up with a couple blurry shots. Here are two that sort of show some of the damage. It did look like a tank drove up and down the sides of the mountain tearing up all the down trees and turning the mountainside into a mulch - then rode 100 yards of the trail tearing it up too.... kinda weird. I had a close call with a big branch getting kicked up and almost ending up in my rear wheel. Anyway, here are the only two that turned out from that section:

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Keep an eye out for a speeding pink Ells

Ed
    I'm not certain that she is actually visible to the naked eye when she rides... just too fast. I thought I heard a sonic boom, followed by a flash of pink, while I was riding. It was probably her flying past me.

jeny jo

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by JSD303
    I'm not certain that she is actually visible to the naked eye when she rides... just too fast. I thought I heard a sonic boom, followed by a flash of pink, while I was riding. It was probably her flying past me.
    aw, you two are just too sweet. sunday, i was NOT so fast ;-) i'm acutally under strict orders to NOT ride myself into the ground.... it was a super slow day. but man, what a BEEEAAUUUUUTIFUL day it was!!!

;-)

jj

Yappy little dog!
    They are logging. There are sections of trail all around Waterton that are closed. Be careful.

mtbr member

Yeah Thats a shame.

I was a bit bummed, and very nervous as I was maidening a new pair of wheels for this ride. But, hopefully this will aide in the beetle battle. I would imagine its only going to take about a year for the trail to clear back up, but who knows.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by preparation_h
    I was a bit bummed, and very nervous as I was maidening a new pair of wheels for this ride. But, hopefully this will aide in the beetle battle. I would imagine its only going to take about a year for the trail to clear back up, but who knows.
    Ain't nothing going to aide in the beetle battle.

Hell - it's not even a battle...

Trail Sanitizer
    They started that last year at the end of the season. I was out there in November and saw the same thing. The section just after/before the meadow is thrashed and very loose. They are trying to grade the trail for logging/fire mitigation.

The Notorious S.L.O

Seems familiar....

They have been doing quite a bit of logging at the top of Mt. Falcon as well.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."