Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Indian Creek Deathmarch

I don't know what the criteria for a deathmarch is...all I know is I felt dead after this march. Oh, and it didn't help much bashing my head against a tree(sorry MGE, I can't plow over trees like you ) skidding off trail taking a blind corner going too fast. That almost made it a deathmarch. Luckily the bike took the brunt of the impact buy my helmet absorbed some good impact too.

My friend Kedith wanted to get in a good workout today so I decided to take him to the place the always kicks my behind real good everytime. I've done this trail a million different ways and decided to change it up a bit again to get maximum elevation gain. Started at CR5 to 800,down to the house by the dam, up to Lenny's rest and up the ridge, down to Steven's Gulch, up eastside of Steven's, down west side of Steven's,up 800 to the trailhead and then up to Ringtail and down to Roxy Park. In the end he got more then he bargained for. 7.4 hrs total and 5.1 hrs saddle time.

I don't know if 31.9 mi is long enough for a deathmarch, but when you've gained approx. 12,853 ft, it ain't no walk in the park. Just for comparison, the standard lollipop loop starting at Waterton is 28.3 mi, 5300 ft elev. gain, which is an exhausting ride itself.
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8415838

BTW, pics can never do this place justice. Sorry to sound cheesy, but the tight twisty narrow singletrack, densely covered forest, lush green meadows, gentle flowing creeks, views of in the distance, and the feeling of total remoteness is pure mountainbiking bliss. Even the head crash on the finish down Ringtail can't wipe the silly a$$ grin off my face.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kosayno; 06-10-2009 at 01:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kosayno; 06-10-2009 at 12:53 AM.

mtbr member

Indian Creek Loop

That was quite a ride you took! No wonder you were exhausted. Great pics, too. I rode the traditional Indian Creek Loop with friends on Sunday. The weather was cloudy and cool, but we managed not to get rained on, despite showers in the area (and tornadoes in Denver). Not many horses on the trail, either, despite lots of trailers in the parking lot.

Goat of Legend
    Nice Job Ko! There is still a loop I've been meaning to tie together back there. Might try to hit it up soon. No picture of the helmet damage?

hehe ...you said "member"
    Max speed 48.8 - holy schnikees
    Great pics - I have to add that one to my list ... though I may just do the "regular loop". 12K+ ' gain is a bit much for me.
    “Me fail english? Thats unpossible.” - Matt Groening

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    I've ridden back there alot and a couple of those pics i don't recognize. the old cabins by the rock? Is that a new bridge? Give it up Ko pm me! Maybe that is off cr5. I haven't come in that way before. Solid ride. sweet pics, thanks.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Impressive!! Looks great!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    I've ridden back there alot and a couple of those pics i don't recognize. the old cabins by the rock? Is that a new bridge? Give it up Ko pm me! Maybe that is off cr5. I haven't come in that way before. Solid ride. sweet pics, thanks.
    CR6>TR800>Roxy>CT>Lenny's Rest>the Ridge>down Steven Gulch>up Steven's Gulch>down Steven's Gulch>Indian Creek to IC TH>Up to Ringtail>Ringtail to Roxborough Park>

Just download to your GPS from his MotionBased post.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Any ride in which you gain more than 10K in 30-ish miles counts as a deathmarch. Well done!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jake7
    Max speed 48.8 - holy schnikees
    Great pics - I have to add that one to my list ... though I may just do the "regular loop". 12K+ ' gain is a bit much for me.

Would've hit 50 had not been for the tree. Did you see my max elevation gain. 2,263 ft. in one minute. I had no clue I was that good.

Sorry MGE no pics, helmet still in tact.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno
    Would've hit 50 had not been for the tree. Did you see my max elevation gain. 2,263 ft. in one minute. I had no clue I was that good.

Sorry MGE no pics, helmet still in tact.

MGE and I experienced some GPS strangeness at 3 Sisters 2 weeks ago - his Garmin said we hit 45+, mine said 28 (I'm certain his was correct ). I've also noticed consistent discrepancies with regard to mileage / elevation between the figures uploaded to Motionbased and those found in the Garmin "Training Center" on my desktop.

That's a great loop, BTW. I ride back there pretty regularly and it hadn't even crossed my mind to go that route, it's usually just a Lenny's / BC / Ringtail loop clockwise or counter.
    Now with more vitriol!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    MGE and I experienced some GPS strangeness at 3 Sisters 2 weeks ago - his Garmin said we hit 45+, mine said 28 (I'm certain his was correct ). I've also noticed consistent discrepancies with regard to mileage / elevation between the figures uploaded to Motionbased and those found in the Garmin "Training Center" on my desktop.
    In other words GPS is like any other crappy high tech gadget. Don't trust it for the truth.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    In other words GPS is like any other crappy high tech gadget. Don't trust it for the truth.
    My favorite was the Google earth placemark that was sent to a couple friends that made it appear I'd been cutting big sections of trail (straight lines between switchbacks) when you zoomed in.

The out and backs where I gain 2k feet, but only descend 1200 feet are cool too...
    Now with more vitriol!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice pics!!

Anyone have a good map of Indian Creek? Seems to be a hard map to come by....

Thanks!

simple
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Any ride in which you gain more than 10K in 30-ish miles counts as a deathmarch. Well done!
    I'd believe it if they climbed from Denver to the top of Mt. Evans. This ride, which looks super awesome BTW, is only about 6,500 vertical in those 30 miles. A great ride, but not over 10k of climbing.

Those photos are awesome. They make me rethink my plans to ride in Breck this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    I'd believe it if they climbed from Denver to the top of Mt. Evans. This ride, which looks super awesome BTW, is only about 6,500 vertical in those 30 miles. A great ride, but not over 10k of climbing.

Those photos are awesome. They make me rethink my plans to ride in Breck this weekend.
    Shhhhh. Just let me feel like a stud. That hit on the head must've affected my Garmin too. Looking at the data, I think you're pretty close on the vertical gain, mileage wise is pretty accurate though. Just checked my Garmin training center and it said 10,500, which is why my max vertical was 2,200ft.+, which is about the difference between motionbased and training center. Still though, that was quite a sufferfest.

Godzilla-I thought I was the only one cutting trail on the switchbacks . The reason for that I think is because the GPS tracks points every 5 seconds. Going up, it looks like I'm right on trail, but when descending at a higher speed like say 48.8mph, it makes you look like public enemy #1 to the trail nazis.

Gaa-zee-raaaa!
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erSycip
    Is that cumulative?

I rode to the Platte and back via Waterton with DWF and Funkmaster a few weeks ago, and my Forerunner 205 showed a cumulative gain of 10,706 - I thought at the time that it seemed a bit optimistic, but the numbers have been roughly consistent with other rides I've done since.

Godzilla-I thought I was the only one cutting trail on the switchbacks . The reason for that I think is because the GPS tracks points every 5 seconds. Going up, it looks like I'm right on trail, but when descending at a higher speed like say 48.8mph, it makes you look like public enemy #1 to the trail nazis.
    Aha - that explains a lot, I didn't realize it took reading every 5 seconds.
    Now with more vitriol!

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    CR6>TR800>Roxy>CT>Lenny's Rest>the Ridge>down Steven Gulch>up Steven's Gulch>down Steven's Gulch>Indian Creek to IC TH>Up to Ringtail>Ringtail to Roxborough Park>

Just download to your GPS from his MotionBased post.
    schnauzers, Ive ridden all of the above mentioned routes several variations, but not the part off of cr 5. thanks though. Thanks for the pm ko. It has been a while since we've rode! Yah i was kinda scratchin my bald head wondering how you came up with 12,800 some odd elevation gain. we've done some epics out there and haven't come close to that kind of gain! The unsigned stevens is the $hit!!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Sorry, but I'm gonna have to downgrade the rating on this ride to "Just a Nice Long Ride Around the Indian Creek Area."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me!
    : The unsigned stevens is the $hit!!
    It most definitely is! Although, with so much good DH stuff in there, I prefer to use go up rather than down. Besides the steep beginning and end, it's a nice a mellow climb and I just enjoy the scenery. The "marked" Stevens Gulch, now that is some effin scary fast fun stuff along with the the descent down Steven''s from the intersection coming down after the ridge.

Skared-I highly value you opinion, please reconsider your updated rating. Afterall, I did have a booboo on my head, along with tree sap stuck in my hair and I woke up with sore neck and shoulders. Thank you

bacon! bacon! bacon!

Skared-I highly value you opinion, please reconsider your updated rating. Afterall, I did have a booboo on my head, along with tree sap stuck in my hair and I woke up with sore neck and shoulders. Thank you
    Liar.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    I rode to the Platte and back via Waterton with DWF and Funkmaster a few weeks ago, and my Forerunner 205 showed a cumulative gain of 10,706 - I thought at the time that it seemed a bit optimistic, but the numbers have been roughly consistent with other rides I've done since.
    We did Waterton to 126 and back last weekend and got ~8600ft via Topofusion. (Actually, we turned around about a mile short of 126, but, whatever.)

The newer Garmin's can be set to record either every second, or only when a change in direction, elevation, or speed occurs. They call it "Smart Recording". Is that not an option on the Forerunner 205?

Quote Originally Posted by perioeci
    We did Waterton to 126 and back last weekend and got ~8600ft via Topofusion. (Actually, we turned around about a mile short of 126, but, whatever.)

The newer Garmin's can be set to record either every second, or only when a change in direction, elevation, or speed occurs. They call it "Smart Recording". Is that not an option on the Forerunner 205?
    We saw you guys....twice

JJ and I rode from the buff creek ranger station via Shinglemill/CT to Lenny's and back via CT/Buff Burn/CT/Shinglemill = ~9,700 ft. total on the GPS unit, and as usual TopoFusion bumped it to over 10,500 ft. which is I believe an exaggeration.

Our intent was to include the Indian Creek Loop but we ran out of time and maybe even energy

The horse people were super nice on the way out, and despite the seemingly endless train of them we only had to stop for a total of ~4 mins. to accommodate all of them. Not a big deal and the trail was not damaged at all.

A good day.

Ed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    ~9,700 ft. total on the GPS unit, and as usual TopoFusion bumped it to over 10,500 ft. which is I believe an exaggeration.

Ed
    Have you guys tried the climbing analysis on Topofusion? If you limit the climbs to only distances over 10 meters it seems to be more realistic.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    The "marked" Stevens Gulch, now that is some effin scary fast fun stuff along with the the descent down Steven''s from the intersection coming down after the ridge.
    I almost killed myself there last night. Lost a pedal coming off a root but found it again with my shin and by then I was in that damn rut bouncing off roots & rocks @ 20+ mph.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast