Trail Sanitizer

Indian Creek area en fuego

Some lightning started a fire in the area of the Indian Creek trail in Douglas County. It's north of Hwy 67 and was said to be heading SE. The Indian Creek campground has been evacuated. What does lightning have against our mountain bike trails??? First White Ranch and now this!

Doesn't take much when it's this dry, hot and windy. Actually the ground was pretty damp in Evergreen when I got back from the airport at around midnite this morning so it must have rained here at least - what about down there?

Ed E

Trail Sanitizer
    Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    Doesn't take much when it's this dry, hot and windy. Actually the ground was pretty damp in Evergreen when I got back from the airport at around midnite this morning so it must have rained here at least - what about down there?

Ed E
    It rained a fair amount at my house in HR. It rained lightly for about an hour. In speaking with someone that lives off of Hwy 67, it sounds like this is pretty well contained. They too got some rain last night to help with the effort. Assuming the fire is out, I won't have time to get down there this weekend to ride it. I'd be interested if anyone else can get down there and report back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldozer
    Assuming the fire is out, I won't have time to get down there this weekend to ride it. I'd be interested if anyone else can get down there and report back.

Mkay... I'll be the guinea pig. I live right off of 85, real clsoe to Sedalia, and i was going to ride Indian Creek over to Waterton tomorrow A.M. anyway. If it sounds like the area is not shut off still, i'll go tomorrow morning, and give a report when i get back.

mtbr member
    I was on the CT yesteday while planes and choppers were flying overhead, presumably between the fire and the reservoir. Some were really low. Probably wasn't the greatest idea in the world to be out there then. Though we did see a couple guys who started towards the IC loop from Lenny's and the turned around when they could see the fire (or at least the smoke from it). That was probably really not a good idea.

mtbr member

On second thought, maybe not...

Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    I was on the CT yesteday while planes and choppers were flying overhead, presumably between the fire and the reservoir. Some were really low. Probably wasn't the greatest idea in the world to be out there then. Though we did see a couple guys who started towards the IC loop from Lenny's and the turned around when they could see the fire (or at least the smoke from it). That was probably really not a good idea.

I just called the South Platte Ranger district, and they told me going north from Indian Creek would be a "bad idea", but that the campground/trailhead is now open... Even so, the phrase "exercising due caution" keeps coming to mind, so i guess i'm heading up to Jeffco tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    While we are on this subject, I rode Waterton/Roxborough for the first time this past week and am curious about exploring the area further...

Is the logical outgrowth from that last ride to ride the IC loop or the CT from Lenny's Rest? What should I expect on each trail?