IMBA Alert - Fruita & GJ Trails

I just got this in my mail, I don't see anything on the IMBA web site yet but the link mentioned below requires you to logon to IMBA. This is where I land when I click on the link:

https://secure2.convio.net/imba/site...rAction&id=117
    ================================================== =======
    Dear Ed

We need your help to protect Fruita and Grand Junction Mountain bike trails.

A pending auction by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM), scheduled for May 6, puts trails in jeopardy from oil and gas development. These trails are world-class and are enjoyed by riders from all 50 states and many other nations, as well as the local riding community.

Take action today. (Comments must be received by April 26.)

Your message will support the Colorado Plateau Mountain Bike Trail Association’s (COPMOBA) request to withdraw key parcels from BLM’s proposed May 6, 2006 lease auction.

By clicking on the link above, your message will be sent to Catherine Robertson, Field Manager, BLM Grand Junction, and Sally Wisely, Colorado BLM State Director.

Thanks for your support!

Photo: IMBA staffer Zach Vanderkooy cruising Fruita singletrack.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 04-24-2006 at 12:52 PM.

More info from NEMBA...

http://www.nemba.org/NEMBAforum/inde...;threadid=9240

This in from our friends at the Colorado Plateau Mountain Bike Assocation:

Help Protect Fruita and Grand Junction Mountain Bike Trails From Oil and Gas Development

Please e-mail the Bureau of Land Management Today!

Send an e-mail to support Colorado Plateau Mountain Bike Trail Association’s (COPMOBA) request to withdraw key parcels from BLM’s proposed May 6, 2006 lease auction. Click here for more information on the upcoming auction and to view COPMOBA's withdraw request letter and maps of the land up for lease.

Development of the lease parcels could have a severe negative impact on the trails at 18 Road in Fruita and 27 ¼ Road in Grand Junction.

· Send an e-mail today to Catherine Robertson, Field Manager, BLM Grand Junction Field Office Catherine_Robertson@blm.gov

· Send a copy of your e-mail to Sally Wisely, State Director, BLM Colorado State Office Sally_Wisely@blm.gov

· Deadline for e-mails is Wednesday April 26, 2006

Points to make:

These trails are world class and are enjoyed by riders from all 50 states and many other nations, as well as the local riding community.
    Mountain biking is an important sustainable economic activity for the Fruita/Grand Junction economy.
    These trails are developed and maintained by volunteers who have invested countless hours into the trail system.
    Include your personal connection to the trails and your experiences riding them.

pin 'er up
    Ed, NICE!! I was gonna post this but you beat me to it!! Come on guys take action NOW, losing these trails would really be disappointing.
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

Trail Sanitizer
    If you're going to take action, do it now. This comments are needed by 4/26/06.

Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Ed, NICE!! I was gonna post this but you beat me to it!! Come on guys take action NOW, losing these trails would really be disappointing.
    I was there Fri and there was a bunch of activity on 18 Rd. with trucks, machines and people laying wire down all up and down the length of the road. Apparently, I don't know this as fact yet, those crews are laying sensor equipment down for oil/gas reserve exploration/feasability.

Can you imagine if suddenly that whole area is off limits to mtb'ing. Jeez!

Ed E

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    ^^^^^^^^
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Anyone have a sample letter that can be copy and pasted? Would make it easier to get more people to send letters.

mtbr member
    There must be a way to balance this thing out.

I love great trails, I hate the thought of $5/gallon gasoline too though.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm working on gathering some hard numbers on the social/economic impact this would have for a boilerplate letter, will post as soon as possible.

Listen! My letter....

I'm also faxing it because someone on the CO - Western Slope board pointed out that may be required. Here is the note (apparently from the BLM site) and number:

• You may file a protest either by mail in hardcopy form or by telefax. You may not file a protest by electronic mail. A protest filed by fax must be sent to 303-239-3799. A protest sent to a fax number other than the fax number identified or a protest filed by electronic mail will be dismissed.
    ================================================== =================

To Catherine Robertson -

I am writing to express my concern that some wonderful and scenic trails in the Fruita and Grand Junction areas could be negatively impacted by the possibility of oil and gas development projects. These trails are world class and are enjoyed by people not only from Colorado but from all over the world.

I have been traveling regularly to the Fruita area for almost 8 years now, solely for the purpose of enjoying the recreational opportunities and mountain biking. I stay in the hotels (Comfort Inn) and dine at the local eateries (Hot Tomato, Fiesta Guadalajara, etc.) and I always visit the bike shops of course. Mountain biking is a wonderful and sustainable form of activity that also provides economic benefit to the local economy. It has a low impact environmentally and is good physical exercise.

I know that many hours of trail maintenance and development have been provided by volunteer groups such as COPMOBA and by local businesses such as Singletracks and Over the Edge. Hopefully they will be able to continue in this tradition and find continuing cooperation with the BLM. These trails are enjoyed by not only mountain bikers but also; hikers, photographers and all nature lovers.

When I first came to Fruita to ride there weren't many people on the trails and the sport was in it's infancy in the area. I've seen this change over the years and to see how many people are now regularly visiting and getting the same thrills that I do is heartening. I will never forget the feeling I had after my first visit - I thought I had been to heaven and a big part of that feeling was a result of riding the 18 Road trails. Every time I roll along Zippety-Do-Dah or Joe's Ridge or Kessel Run it's like a roller-coaster ride. I look forward to being able to continue this tradition.

So, forgive the length of this note and please reconsider the proposal put forth for oil and gas development. Please support COPMOBA's request to withdraw key parcels from the proposed May 6th, 2006 lease auction.

If I can help in any way or if you would like further comment please contact me.

Thank you -

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OK, a little more detail on how you can best help out -

COPMOBA, the local MTB advocates have lodged a formal protest concerning the oil & gas exploration leases for the area. The greatest political leverage we have as riders is to put our weight behind that protest. So in effect each copy of this letter forwarded to the decision makers increases the size of the protest. This is far more effective than loose emails opposing the lease proposal - it basically creates a larger political action committee with more intense focus.

So, click this link for a copy of that protest letter & email it to the following two addresses with a statement of your support of the protest, just a single sentence saying "I oppose the oil/gas exploration proposal and support the following protest filed by Chris Herrman of COPMOBA."

Mail to - Sally_Wisely@blm.gov ; Catherine_Robertson@blm.gov

Emailing support of the protest is fine - the protest itself was sent by mail and statements in support of that may be received electronically.

Then cross your fingers, chant, throw salt over your shoulder, whatever you think will help. Thanks in advance.

A.
    Last edited by Alex Hearn; 04-26-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Trail Sanitizer
    Is it public information who has been granted the leases for exploration? I share the floor of my building with a gas exploration company. I would be interested to see if they are one of the companies.

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hearn
    ...email it to the following two addresses with a statement of your support of the protest, just a single sentence saying "I oppose the oil/gas exploration proposal and support the following protest filed by Chris Herrman of COPMOBA."
    Done and done. How long till their mailboxes start rejecting emails because they are all filled up with everyone sending a 685kb file along with it?

Which way? Uphill.
    oops I spoke to soon, already happening I just got this back in an email:

ilmnirm3ap65.blm.doi.net #5.0.0 X-Notes; Error delivering to Sally Wisely/COSO/CO/BLM/ DOI; Router: Database disk quota exceeded

At least it shows that people are sending it though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    that's a good problem to have! I guess we start with the faxes...

Fax # - 303-239-3799

mtbr member

Heyduke Monkey Wrench Gang

Hi all,
    When you see unnatural activity I suggest you take whatever steps available to eliminate the unnatural activity. Destroy the unnatural artifacts, remove lines, flags, eliminate markers,etc. It is amazing how a couple guys can within a few minutes eliminate the resuls of some company trying to invade our nest. Honoring the trail goddesses by fighting to keep her pure will be rewarded in many ways. Throw a monkey wrench into the mix whenever and wherever you can. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE _ TAKE ACTION ALWAYS! THese companies can't be there all the time, we must do what we can WHEN the opportunity prevails itself. Remember IT IS YOUR TRAIL, protect her!

The cost of defiling nature is non existant, we must come to her aid and destroy those who would defile her. Read Edward Abbey " The Monkey Wrench Gang". You might then understand why HEYDUKE LIVES...on.

HEYDUKE LIves
    CSPRINGS

Essam
    Feb 2006

Hold up!

If our access is resricted. It may be to protect the (I assume) law abiding energy company, from CSPRINGS and others who choose to react in an uncivilized mannor. Perhaps we can share. Many of the roads and trails that I enjoy are recovered mining operations. This evening I will ride a wonderful technical trail that is the result of a small uranium mine. There is no other reason the trail would have been built. A jolly roller coaster it is, Joes ridge is only a dirt path along an indistict piece of this large everchanging planet. Not worth loss of civility, or creation of conflict.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by switchback27
    This evening I will ride a wonderful technical trail that is the result of a small uranium mine.
    Sounds glowrious. Sorry, couldn't resist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! How many of you got a letter back from the BLM dismissing your protest?

I was impressed that they addressed my message specifically, but I was disappointed to hear the message that essentially said the oil and gas leases were there first, so, with some stipulations, they won't try to halt leasing in the North Fruita Desert area. The impression I got was the camping area and trailhead are off-limits, but beyond that
    Should an Application for Permit to Drill (APD) be submitted, it will be subject to site-specific Environmental Assessment (EA). The EA will analyze all resources potentially impacted by the proposed APD, including recreation. The Authorized Officer also has the authority under the regulations to move a proposed location up to 200 meters to site a location to avoid direct impacts.
    The letter also chides COPMOBA for the last-minute protest, claiming that the proposed leases were first announced almost two years earlier. I can't comment on the validity of those remarks (was it a stealth announcement, for example?), but I think everyone would agree that MTBr's have to get involved at the beginning, not the end, if they want to have the most effective voice.