mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm not gonna say this is my "favorite" tsunami video but

but after watching videos of nothing but 5 second snippets of devastation then the camera cuts away to something else then cuts away to something else, I just came across the video I've been looking for for days.

A guy with a video camera is in from the coast who knows how far but you can see the water coming up the street and just keeps getting deeper and deeper. Unbelievable the force of the water as it rises higher and higher and the video guy just stays in one spot documenting six minutes of what it was truly like to be there but just high enough to escape getting swept away. Check it out and make sure your speakers are on, the sound of a city getting swept away:

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Is there a mountain bike in there that we should be watching for?...

lucky enough
    When you see the white van driving away at the beginning, you wonder if they made it to safety. You also may notice that the videographer keeps having to climb higher on the hill behind him as the water gets deeper. Finally, seeing buildings take off and float down the street is pretty incredible.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggs
    Is there a mountain bike in there that we should be watching for?...
    There is a Shimano sign.....
    Riding.....

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Wow.. crazy.. That shows it like none I have seen.. any idea how far from the water that was, the water just kept coming.....
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    Wow.. crazy.. That shows it like none I have seen.. any idea how far from the water that was, the water just kept coming.....
    Well, far enough that they were out of the way after the first warnings were sounded (and were still being sounded during the vid). You gotta figure nobody there had experienced anything like this and, at the time of the video, had no idea what was coming.

Imagine their horror as they watched their town wash away. Their houses, their businesses, their friends, all unfolding just after a freakin' 9.0 earthquake shook their world. I guess if you were a religious sort you'd have to ask "so, god, what did we do so wrong to deserve this?" For all they knew the worst had come and the water would start going down, but they were wrong.

And it just kept coming and coming. The shop across the way with the yellow awning started out with the water a few feet above bottom of door and even then it was being inundated. At about minute 5 the water was over the top of the awning and was still rising. The luck of the draw for the residents on that hill there was that they had enough foresight to actually get out the way. Notice the poor suckers standing on tops of messed up buildings across the way yet the videographer and others made it to that hill.

Before this I'd thought a tsunami was one big wave that rose up, steamrolled onto shore till it ran out of steam. Now I know it's a catastrophic rise in sea level (as witnessed by the first huge wave) but the water behind it for 15 minutes or so is also that high, so the water just keeps rushing in for 15 minutes give or take.

This vid was chopped up by the news services into four second vignettes, like that white van floating at the very first. This is the original footage before it got partitioned into sound bites.
    Last edited by xcguy; 03-18-2011 at 11:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Johnny Dependable
    Cool vid! This is why the wise man builds his house upon the rock.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia
    ..... any idea how far from the water that was....
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,25.32,,0,7.56

^ street view.
    Kesunnuma-shi, Miyagi-ken
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

Johnny Dependable
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319

^ street view.
    Wow, how in the world did you find that?

Rolling
    That is impressive.

This has a similar scale to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikus_TEaGI

Look at the tan building at the beginning--one with the garage-and at time :36 of the people on the rooftop. Compare the water level to that when all is settled down. It's like an "instant lake"

And in many places this wave sloshes in and out several times over several hours.
    Last edited by lidarman; 03-18-2011 at 03:45 PM.

Chronic 1st-timer
    ^ tucked in at the end of an inlet concentrated the force of the water muchly....that town didn't stand a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBill
    Wow, how in the world did you find that?
    Saw it a few days ago with its location given.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

contains quinine
    I just saw this one. Driving along, water comes over the seawall. Engulfs car.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...y-tsunami.html
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    That is impressive.

This has a similar scale to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikus_TEaGI

Look at the tan building at the beginning--one with the garage-and at time :36 of the people on the rooftop. Compare the water level to that when all is settled down. It's like an "instant lake"

And in many places this wave sloshes in and out several times over several hours.
    Yikes! First there's a town, then there isn't. Tough to comprehend that sort of total devastation. And what a mess to clean up. Where do they put all the debris? And is all the farm land unusable because of the salt water? Just terrible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319

^ street view.
    Wow, that spot is about 1/4 mile inland.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    There is a Shimano sign.....

LMAO. How true...(time= 1:20)....and how appropriate. It's valid now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Found another one

Watch as the bay rises up 20' or so and just spills into the town.

The whole video I'm yelling at the monitor "move your camera over to the right, to the right, let's see what's happening to your town, over to the right" but it's an unbelievable capture nonetheless.

I bet the whole time the guy with the camera was wondering when the building he was on was gonna wash away as well.

Last edited by xcguy; 03-28-2011 at 07:50 AM.

Rolling
    That video found me....on CNN. It's impressive though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't know why the camera guy was fixated on showing the corner of that tall white building and looking out to the bay, like he was on a cruise ship, while his town was washing away to his right.

But, since was an experience that basically nobody has, of biblical proportions, who knows how any of our own brains would work at a time like that? Still...just pan right, dude.

I was looking for more Helmet videos when I stumbled across this one. These tsunami videos pop up as "most viewed" but when they're gone from that list they're impossible to find again, is why I embedded it here. And now the cleanup.

Rolling
    I'm still wondering why everyone spent time filming the tsunami coming in by nobody has it receding. Did get get bored...or did they die....or why?

It must have been pretty dramatic receding as well.

mtbr member
    More from the BadAss of the week!
    http://www.badassoftheweek.com/akaiwa.html