mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Ignitor exo experience?

Anybody put any miles on these tires yet? What is your opinion? Any issues? Noticeable ride difference due to sidewall construction? Noticeable weight difference?

I have been riding Ignitor 29ers for a few years now. Current set getting to that point of replacement soon.They work for me. I run them with Stan's Arches and sealant.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am running the exact setup and i have not noticed a difference between the exo and the older version.

Quote Originally Posted by FR hokeypokey
    Anybody put any miles on these tires yet? What is your opinion? Any issues? Noticeable ride difference due to sidewall construction? Noticeable weight difference?

I have been riding Ignitor 29ers for a few years now. Current set getting to that point of replacement soon.They work for me. I run them with Stan's Arches and sealant.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

ride
    The EXO sidewall seems to be more durable, definitely a better idea if you're riding in rocky sidewall slashing terrain or if you're going ghetto tubless.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450
    I am running the exact setup and i have not noticed a difference between the exo and the older version.
    Yeah....but you tore your first EXO Ikon sidewall in like 2 rides. Did you ever have problems with your regular sidewall ignitors?

I know sh*t just happens sometimes...but that still doesn't inspire confidence knowing how long regular ignitors have been working for us and many others....plus the exos are going for a good 15-20 bucks more than the regular.

I'm sticking with the regular sidewalls until further thoughts are brought forward...just put a new regular ignitor on the other day actually.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    All the maxxis tires went up in price about a month ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    The EXO sidewall seems to be more durable, definitely a better idea if you're riding in rocky sidewall slashing terrain or if you're going ghetto tubless.

This is why I posed the question for people who have put miles on the new tire. Do not take this as argumentative, I am just researching before I buy.

Does the sidewall seem more durable due to rider input on the trail or looking at the website or the packaging?

The listed weight is close in old and new w/exo technology. I am willing to spend the extra dollars if there is an improvement. I have had good luck with the original Ignitors. But if I can get what I like with a little more sidewall support. I'm in.

Thanks.
    "Biking lets you come alive both in body and spirit- the bike disappears and you feel as if you're suspended in midair"GKlein

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FR hokeypokey
    This is why I posed the question for people who have put miles on the new tire. Do not take this as argumentative, I am just researching before I buy.

Does the sidewall seem more durable due to rider input on the trail or looking at the website or the packaging?

The listed weight is close in old and new w/exo technology. I am willing to spend the extra dollars if there is an improvement. I have had good luck with the original Ignitors. But if I can get what I like with a little more sidewall support. I'm in.

Thanks.
    Nothing argumentative about your post. I personally have not used the exos...but I have not had a problem with any regular maxxis sidewalls before either.

What "I've read" is that you can ride slightly lower pressures but still get the sidewall stability required for turns.

As far as sidewall durability...Cbrocks first EXO Ikon tore a side wall in a few days...not sure of the terrain though. His 2nd set seems to be going strong though, so it may have just been a stroke of bad luck. It sounds like he doesn't want to say that though...so I'm saying it. I'll buy him a beer if he doesn't like it.

ride
    The way I read it is it's Maxxis' answer to non UST tubeless applications. I used to sell a lot of the Ignitors as an all around tire but we (myself included) ran into a LOT of sidewall durability issues with the older casing. After moving to the EXO casing, my own personal ghetto tubeless 29" tire on my SS is thriving and I'm hearing a lot less complaints from folks running them.

I think you already answered your own question though. If normal Ignitors work for you, AND they're a little bit cheaper, probably not a lot of sense in moving to something different. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Kaj
    mtbr member
    so far the exo's have been doing well for us. I just ran a report and we have 33 out there, and I don't think we've seen an issue yet. it's still pretty new but based on the quality we see from Maxxis I bet it will be a nice alternative to a heavy UST tire for tubeless folks.

I hear you on tire price increases--when I saw the price jump on the Highroller UST 2 months ago, I was like WTF...you must be kidding. That's the world we live in I guess.
    Last edited by Kaj; 05-25-2011 at 05:39 AM.
    Helping folks shred in Boulder & Colorado since 1982 www.fullcyclebikes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj
    I hear you on tire price increases--when I saw the price jump on the Highroller UST 2 months ago, I was like WTF...you must be kidding. That's the world we live in I guess.
    I was actually in the market for car tires last month...I was told by a reputable voice from a 4x4/off road truck shop to buy tires NOW...car or bike. Rubber prices are on their way to skyrocketing...or already have.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by gearwhine
    I'll buy him a beer if he doesn't like it.
    I hear he likes Bud Light Lime, so you can get off fairly cheap.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    I hear he likes Bud Light Lime, so you can get off fairly cheap.
    I was thinking Sparks. An orange mouth is always sexy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had a few of the old ignitors that the sidewall would wear out before the tread as well. You would start to see the threads on it. (It reminded me of the old car tire saying) If you can see some wire it's time for a new tire.

I tore the ikon on a sharp rock on a uphill corner on mt falcon and chalked it up to bad luck. I had to throw the tire out (running it tubeless) I tore a crossmark the same way but i was not too upset because I felt like the rock was doing me a favor.

I am looking at my exo ignitor and i just noticed there is also a tear in the sidewall and it appears there is some type of metal weaved reinforcement and it's still holding air via tubeless.

I hate to say it but i have a feeling all the tire companies are trying to make the lightest 29er tires possible and are sacrificing durability. The exo ignitor probably has 10-15 rides on it

Maybe i should stop asking people if they are going to eat their fat at the dinner table.

I still wake up in the middle of the night wondering why BadAndy drinks bud light lime???
    ughhhhh

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think you already answered your own question though. If normal Ignitors work for you, AND they're a little bit cheaper, probably not a lot of sense in moving to something different. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Ignazjr- With this kind of thinking I would still be riding my circa 1986 Yeti FRO w/Bullseye cranks, neon blue brake parts and Velociraptors. Wait, maybe that is not such a bad idea. You may be on to something!

I mentioned, I do not mind spending extra if I am getting something for my money. I have had good luck with Ignitors (1 sidewall tear at Pueblo Res two years ago). But a little extra sidewall protection/support would help with my peace of mind. I tend to put in longer rides far from my truck or trailhead and I hate walking my bike.

Thanks for all the comments.