Obviously Single

Upset If Riding in Denver, don't park near Ocean Journey

Hi All:

I thought I'd get some bike path riding in last Sunday in Denver with a couple of friends. My friend Mike does this ride at least once a year, when the trails get icky and the bike paths are better than riding on the road. He calls this ride an "Urban Assault". :-) I guess the last laugh was on me, this time.

We parked in a parking lot off of Platte, between Ocean Journey and REI. We left our cars about 10:30, and got back to the cars about 2:30PM.

That's when we found my car had been broken into! :-( In addition to the broken window, they scratched the car frame, *and* they took all of my biking and street clothes, and my friend Mike's bike clothes as well!

They actually took my old broken-in Levi's, with the used underwear still inside them! I hope they get some sort of disease (not that I have any to give, darn it!).

So just a warning: don't trust parking in out-of-the-way places in Denver.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan

That's when we found my car had been broken into! :-(
    So just a warning: don't trust parking in out-of-the-way places in Denver.
    Yeah, I lived down there for six months, nice place, isn't it? Next time I feel compeled to live downtown in a city, I'll make sure it's a different one. Too many grabastic homeless dirtbags in this city for my liking. At least I got to beat the sh!t out of one that tried to rob me. Very motivational when you can use pure rage to express your environmental acceptance of the city around you and to return some of it, especially in this holiday season of giving. Ho, ho, ho... oh, wait a minute that means something else down there.

Cheers,

Dave
    Putting the "assault" back in Urban Assault
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Not just famous; infamous

wonder if it was some bums...

er.. I mean disadvantaged persons of no residence. We must be PC.

No, wait they stole stuff, they're bums.

Seems kinda weird that they took only clothes from your car and not your radio or anything of "real" value.

Oh, and Dave, shouldn't it be "Putting the 'Ass' back into 'Urban Assault'"?
    Last edited by coolhandluchs; 12-09-2004 at 12:50 PM. Reason: To poke fun at Dave

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    er.. I mean disadvantaged persons of no residence. We must be PC.

No, wait they stole stuff, they're bums.

Seems kinda weird that they took only clothes from your car and not your radio or anything of "real" value.
    That's because most of the transients down in the city that I had to interact with just want clothes to keep warm and food to eat. And ciggarettes to smoke, and liquor to drink and crack... which causes those who still haven't fried their brains yet to seek money to pay for it, from anyone who looks like they may have it. What fun is it laying in a dumpster if you are not buzzed out of your mind? I wouln't know.

Quote Originally Posted by coolhandluchs
    Oh, and Dave, shouldn't it be "Putting the 'Ass' back into 'Urban Assault'"?
    No. I have standards!
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Obviously Single

I still have the radio!

My Radio is very hard to rip off, as is the car (I have a Land Rover that has a built-in alarm system). I they would have opened the door, the alarm would have gone off, but they were "smart" enough to just grab **** out of the window.

Oh, and btw, the Toyota truck next to me was hit as well.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Stand back

Denver's a nice place

My Radio is very hard to rip off, as is the car (I have a Land Rover that has a built-in alarm system). I they would have opened the door, the alarm would have gone off, but they were "smart" enough to just grab **** out of the window.

Oh, and btw, the Toyota truck next to me was hit as well.

Maybe it's just that I moved here from the armpit of America (there are a lot of them, but this was per some magazine article, so maybe it means more?) Flint, MI.
    I feel way safer here in the worst parts of town than I did there. Less theft, drivebys, you name it. I think compared to a lot of cities Denver is pretty clean. Maybe it could go up for some kind of worst transportation design award or something...
    I'd probly feel differently if it was my car, tho - that does suck. I used to park down there to kayak, and I wouldn't have been happy to come back wet from paddling hepatitis A and B waves and have no dry clothes. Guess I was lucky.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Maybe it's just that I moved here from the armpit of America (there are a lot of them, but this was per some magazine article, so maybe it means more?) Flint, MI.
    I feel way safer here in the worst parts of town than I did there. Less theft, drivebys, you name it. I think compared to a lot of cities Denver is pretty clean. Maybe it could go up for some kind of worst transportation design award or something...
    I'd probly feel differently if it was my car, tho - that does suck. I used to park down there to kayak, and I wouldn't have been happy to come back wet from paddling hepatitis A and B waves and have no dry clothes. Guess I was lucky.
    I thought Hepatitis was the Union Chutes - or would those just be "the Union Chutes" Did you check out Burning Time yet?

a dad
    Jan 2004
    yeah, i think Denver is a relatively "nice" city compared to others out there...in every city there is crime and getting your car broken into blows...ever been to Portland?? i was amazed by the number of vagrants (and mostly young ones) on the streets...but having grown up very NYC, Denver is very nice...

the union chutes waves have different names, i only remember hollywood hole, the hepatitis versions are right there by rei....nasty water but i have never gotten sick
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Hi All:

We parked in a parking lot off of Platte, between Ocean Journey and REI. We left our cars about 10:30, and got back to the cars about 2:30PM.
    I might be wrong, but it appears a lot of cyclists actually park in the
    REI lot ... I don't think they are shopping ... but I could be wrong.
    But probably a safer place ... more foot traffic.

-r

Stand back

Connie doo doo

Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I thought Hepatitis was the Union Chutes - or would those just be "the Union Chutes" Did you check out Burning Time yet?
    I've never paddled Union Chutes - is the water as polluted there?
    We were paddling Confluence once, and I found a reese's pnut butter cup floating downstream. I grabbed it, turns out it was intact, wrapper still sealed up nice. I set it down on the shore, but when I got out anticipating a nice post paddling treat, it was gone...
    Another time (luckily I just heard about this 2nd hand), my friends saw a dead dog floating down river. That mighta made me lose my appetite.
    I've never gotten sick from the water (had this habit of spitting anytime I got splashed) but a friend of mine got pretty sick twice. He won't go back now, the puss...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Denver is great and safe. Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to get out more and see what happens in other med-large cities. People don't realize how good they have it here and need to quit their crying. Ask anyone who travels a lot (me) or has moved here.

I park at that lot quite often and there are a lot of transients around there, so it's best to keep everything low profile. I would recommend the REI lot on the West side of the building.

Your bike sucks
    The question is: Will the underwear be worn on the outside of the pants?

They actually took my old broken-in Levi's, with the used underwear still inside them!
    PS: Anyone who thinks Denver is bad is in for a very rude awakening should they visit a city with true poverty. It is going downhill slowly tho.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega
    The question is: Will the underwear be worn on the outside of the pants?

PS: Anyone who thinks Denver is bad is in for a very rude awakening should they visit a city with true poverty. It is going downhill slowly tho.
    It's not a matter of poverty, it's just a larger city with some minor issues. Every city has homeless, crime, pollution, etc... It just kills me when people seem so sheltered and when anything happens here, all of a sudden Denver is going downhill. I have lived all over and Denver is doing A ok compared to other cities it's size. I think maybe the fact that it isn't a one horse hick town anymore is frightening people.

I do a lot of urban riding and I feel safer anytime of the day here than I would elsewhere. Plus I have a better view than would living somewhere else!

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by dras
    It's not a matter of poverty, it's just a larger city with some minor issues. Every city has homeless, crime, pollution, etc... It just kills me when people seem so sheltered and when anything happens here, all of a sudden Denver is going downhill. I have lived all over and Denver is doing A ok compared to other cities it's size. I think maybe the fact that it isn't a one horse hick town anymore is frightening people.

I do a lot of urban riding and I feel safer anytime of the day here than I would elsewhere. Plus I have a better view than would living somewhere else!
    Well I, for one, miss the days when I could mount up the horse drawn carriage and run to town with ma an th' childen fer some udder balm and whatnot, without gittin laughed at by some city slicker on accounta ma throat beard...

Last edited by s1ngletrack; 12-23-2004 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Well I, for one, miss the days when I could mount up the horse drawn carriage and run to town with ma an th' childen fer some utter balm and whatnot, without gittin laughed at by some city slicker on accounta ma throat beard...

Nice