Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Ideal suspension travel for Front Range??

Assuming we are talking about a full suspension bike here, what have you found from experience is the optimum amount of travel for our front range trails? Mostly hard climbs and steep descents. I know the answers will vary and yes I searched and didn't find a similar thread. I choose to post this here because I value my fellow local riders opinions on this topic as we ride the same trails. Thanks for any input.

Ride Like the Wind
    I got the Talas Fox fork that is adjustable from 100mm,120mm to 140mm.I use the 120mm the most,although the 100mm works great for climbing and the 140mm works great for downhill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What kind of trails are you riding? What's your budget?

If you are talking about general XC trails, there is no "optimum" it's entirely personal style and feel. Bike geometry and the components have more to do with how a bike performs then it's suspension's travel distance.

mtbr member
    Today's trail bikes are great and getting better. You should be able to find a 5-6 inch bike which climbs well and kills the descents. Some which come to my mind are the Trek Remedy, Ibis Mojo SL or HD, Turner DW 5-spot, Pivot Mach 5.7, Yeti ASR-5, Yeti 575. Obviously there are others. Personally I would demo a bunch of bikes on actual trails. If you're patient, you may want to attend Outerbike in Moab next fall. I'm on a Ibis Mojo SL which has 5.5 inches of travel. It climbs like a goat. However, I sometimes wonder if the HD would have been a better choice.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    6"...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good input so far. thanks. I never hear anyone say they wish they had less suspension. I'm not as interested in specific bike suggestions as I am what experience tells you about amount of travel that works best for you. I mostly ride around Lyons, Loveland, Boulder trails. Lots of climbing as you know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by flightlevel29er View Post
    Good input so far. thanks. I never hear anyone say they wish they had less suspension.
    There are LOTS of people who make that statement, you can see it in the hard tails they ride.

I switched to a hard tail for XC myself.

FS will soak up a lot if your technique is crap, otherwise you really don't need it in the rear for XC stuff. The difference in climbing with a FS and hard tail is a very very big expanse.

My downhill rig is another story all together, but that's downhill.

Like someone else said, go demo a bunch of bikes.

slow
    I only have an inch (but my wife loves me anyway) and it does everything I need. I run a 80mm or a 100mm fork on this frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I have been happy with my 4 inch bike- better with my 5 inch- wasn't happy with my 5.5 inch bike and love my new 6 inch bike- in short it's not all about travel more about how the bike fits you- aka demo demo demo
    With 6 inches it's hard to go wrong but only you can tell-

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    sgltrak - what the heck is that?!

exactly saxen, geometry and design play way more into it then that one particular aspect. And that's not even getting into what kind of rear shock, which makes a huge difference as well.

Ride Like the Wind
    I didnt mention that both my fork and shock lock out,which is how I ride it most of the time in 120mm.Also,I would add that the only real time I use the 140mm is if I know I got a downhill all the way back to the car,other wise I enjoy just riding the trail in 120mm.140mm to me anyway is FOR downhill and too much travel to trail ride.Dont like the bike moving around too much on it's own,just more details when I really just want to relax and jam down the trail..The more I get to ride,the more I think less travel is better....

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by flightlevel29er View Post
    I never hear anyone say they wish they had less suspension.
    I'm pretty happy with zero suspension (unless you wan to count the pnuematic suspension of the tires), but I'm weird.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabs View Post
    I'm pretty happy with zero suspension (unless you wan to count the pnuematic suspension of the tires), but I'm weird.
    no, you're a rider

it's fun to have suspension sometimes

it's fun to not have suspension sometimes

the "industry" sure wants you to have suspension though

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    ugh, newb

You don't recognize Mr. Moots?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJosiah View Post
    This

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Yep the tried and true YBB!

however my susp. choice is simply 20psi!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Rigid in Evergreen
    Suspension is overrated... it gets hyped up by the manufacturers so they can keep you on the "Keeping up with the Joneses" treadmill.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KarateChicken View Post
    no, you're a rider

it's fun to have suspension sometimes

it's fun to not have suspension sometimes

the "industry" sure wants you to have suspension though

I can't believe you posted about "The Conspiracy"

I know the black helicopters will be at your house shortly and will all have the "S" logo on them.

Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I think suspension is fun so for me, that's what I ride. 4" travel 29er or 6.5" travel 26er. Both climb well and are fun on the downhill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have a FS bike, but don't tell anybody, ok.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter View Post
    Suspension is overrated... it gets hyped up by the manufacturers so they can keep you on the "Keeping up with the Joneses" treadmill.
    29" wheels too. Bike manufacturers love to hype the latest thing because many people want to have the latest thing. That's not necessarily bad, it just is, but it has nothing to do with what's "ideal"

There is no "ideal" suspension travel. You can do just fine with 0, or a HT, or a soft tail, or a 4" bike or more. You can have fun on all those things and they all involve trade offs. Where you lie on the trade off balance is dependent on your style and preference.

mtbr member
    Hardtail and 120-160mm up front. Lock it out on the ups and full tilt on the down.

"Go that way, really fast..."

Though, it is all doable on anything: reference, but listen to this while watching the video.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Interesting, I had never seen that particular Moots.

There is a guy who rides a SS Moots around here (hardtail) that just demolishes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saxen View Post
    I have been happy with my 4 inch bike- better with my 5 inch- wasn't happy with my 5.5 inch bike and love my new 6 inch bike- in short it's not all about travel more about how the bike fits you- aka demo demo demo
    With 6 inches it's hard to go wrong but only you can tell-
    Ditto, that's exactly how I felt with my bike progression. I now have an SC Nomad 2 and there are only a couple of long XC rides each year that I wish for something with less travel and for everything else I can't wait to ride it over and over and over.
    Narrow is the path to life, few are those who find it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    At one time I owned a Turner 5.5 Spot (5 1/2" travel) along with a Gary Fisher Sugar 2 from year 2000 with 2 1/2" travel. I called it my "hardtail with cush". It had sat unridden for about two years.

I really liked the Spot but it just climbed sluggishly. Descents were magical. One day I pumped up the Sugar's tires and Cane Creek shock and took it to Heil. Man was it fast. Turned out its minimal travel just took enough of the edge off the bumps to make it lightyears better than a straight hardtail. I planned right then and there to take it out more often.

Then I blew up the shock on the way back to my truck and never replaced it. Shucks. I did sell the Spot and got a 4" 2007 SC Superlight and the fun re-began all over again.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast