Not just famous; infamous

Idaho Springs Trails

I've been looking for some new-to-me trails that are close to Denver and stumbled across these maps for Clear Creek County.

Does anyone have suggestions for a good route, maybe a loop starting from Idaho Springs? Anything that's a must-do for a first ride up there?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Idaho Springs Trails-idahospr_trails_page_3.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've been wondering about that area as well. Good find on that set of 6 maps. I recently googled this topic and heard some disparaging remarks about the trails north of Idaho Springs, which are favored by moto bikers. That said, google earth seems to show good tree cover south of IS.

Those maps are small in scale, so weaving together a couple/few loops on that map would probably be a short, perhaps intense, 6-10 miles. Might be good territory for parents with a half day or less spare time on their hands (I know this routine).

Might be fun to start at Idaho Springs at dawn and thread a route west to Georgetown for breakfast. Then loop back and be home in Denver before lunch...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NoHoSpoke View Post
    I've been wondering about that area as well. Good find on that set of 6 maps. I recently googled this topic and heard some disparaging remarks about the trails north of Idaho Springs, which are favored by moto bikers. That said, google earth seems to show good tree cover south of IS.

Those maps are small in scale, so weaving together a couple/few loops on that map would probably be a short, perhaps intense, 6-10 miles. Might be good territory for parents with a half day or less spare time on their hands (I know this routine).

Might be fun to start at Idaho Springs at dawn and thread a route west to Georgetown for breakfast. Then loop back and be home in Denver before lunch...

There are many, many miles of jeep roads in that area that connect between all the former mining towns in that area. A lot of them climb well into the high alpine and you can ride for miles and miles. Lots of great options but you can't be a singletrack snob.