Bad Andy

IBMers represent!

Seems like I have seen that some (a lot?) of you work for IBM?
    Me too...
    I would be interested in:
    How long? What dept/loc? etc...
    I came over to IBM from QWEST when they outsourced their IT dept back in 8/03.
    Was a mainframe hardware planner at the QWEST datacenter until 6/07, and got my current job then - a CE/SSR for AS400/ISeries. Now I go around to Front Range cust accounts, and don't really have an office.
    Let's get an IBM group ride going sometime!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm also an IBMer and take full advantage of flex time and my mobile office (which often has 2 wheels). I make pretty powerpoint charts, sit on long boring conference calls, and lurk in the shadows of MTBR and pinkbike.

Always up for a Ned ride or heading south to Buff Creek

Rolling
    Oh so you can all talk shop and then ***** about how peeps can't talk about work on the rides???

I ride with several IBM peeps actually. In fact one of them managed the Qwest data center accounts account a couple years ago...funny in that USwest at the time did their own.

..ouch
    Another one.. GBS for the last few years, then took a new role this summer with the Ricoh joint venture. Have an office in Boulder but work from home most days. Mainly attend meetings and hire as much staff as possible so I can be out riding.
    whip.gif

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Mainly attend meetings and hire as much staff as possible so I can be out riding. :
    This is different from government BS that peeps complain about all the time?

Amazing that anything gets done and that IBM has a profit margin of nearly 10%

Ok, I'm kidding...

But I do hope you work harder than that....

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    But I do hope you work harder than that....
    Hey! I'm doing my part for the economy and creating job growth.

Unfortunately it's all lies and wishful thinking.. With the recent spinoff I was easily pulling 80+ hour weeks most the summer.. both riding and my fitness suffered more than I care to admit.

And in reality, my experience has been that more staff doesn't really equal less work, sometimes quite the opposite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Ok, but let's do it where this IBMer lives.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbmike

20 years is a LOOONG time

Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Seems like I have seen that some (a lot?) of you work for IBM?
    Me too...
    I would be interested in:
    How long? What dept/loc? etc...
    I came over to IBM from QWEST when they outsourced their IT dept back in 8/03.
    Was a mainframe hardware planner at the QWEST datacenter until 6/07, and got my current job then - a CE/SSR for AS400/ISeries. Now I go around to Front Range cust accounts, and don't really have an office.
    But that's how long I've been at the Boulder plant. I do mainframe DB2 development for IBM's integrated supply chain. The vibe at the plant has been so depressing this year that I telecommute 75% of the time now.

I'll likely be at the plant more often this winter since I can get a ride in around the Boulder Res and Boulder Valley Ranch at lunchtime.

In my real life I am President of Boulder Mountainbike Alliance.
    mtbmike
    Longmont Colorado

The world is run by those that show up....

Too busy looking good
    I've worked at the "mother ship" for 7 years, but was part of the Ricoh deal, so I'm technically not with IBM anymore. It's great having a flexible work schedule; I stop at Hall Ranch on the way into work pretty often, and occasionally take a long lunch to ride Heil Ranch (biking between IBM and the trail head). Don't tell my manager...

I definitely bike to work (from NE Longmont) as much as possible. I'm not fazed by the cold, but am a bit leery of riding the roads at night, so I don't commute much in the winter when the days are short. Do it lots From March through October though.

So the BMA prez is an IBMer... I had no idea, very cool!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What the???

Sheesh. When I worked there from '88 to '96, I was the ONLY and I mean ONLY person I knew of who rode a mountain bike. I would commute to work and be the only bike in the rack most of the time.

Of course, at that time a lot of the people working there had started in the late '60s when the 'plant' really was 90% a manufacturing plant. They were more likely to be talking guns than bikes. And we couldn't telecommute at all. I get a little jealous when I talk to some of my old friends and they tell me they haven't set foot on the place for a month.

I used the shower down by Bldg. 24 until they started bring customers in there. One day I was told not to be walking in there in my sweaty condition, and I was banished to the west 40 showers. I was by there a few weeks ago and was surprised that the showers are still available even though Boulder took the park over. Probably the only free showers for 50 miles.....