mtbr member
    Apr 2011

ibis demo day, now what?

let me start with that i am new to CO. i came from europe recently and looking to purchase a bajk. i have been looking on mojos for a while and last weekend i demoed HD and SL. i was always thinking i will definitely go for HD. on demo day HD felt great, climbed great, descended even better. than i tried SL which felt different, very light and fast on the climb. not sure which one to go for. i am still somewhat leaning towards HD, also because i could convert it to 140mm.
    i have mostly rode around front range so far. love the trails, love climbing too. some trails seem that i would be just fine with SL (or SLR), but than i hit other trail and think that HD would do better. wander how HD would do on whole day trips, with lots of climbing.
    i ride somewhat aggressive, do some drops but nothing too crazy.
    i am sure there are more people that face or were facing same decision. i would be interested what did you ended up with ultimately and the reasons behind it.

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Most people just buy one. I picked up a Yeti 7 and a Big Top after I demo'd them. If you like, don't worry. Quit agonizing and empty that bank account.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

www.yeticycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I agree with snigs...just buy one. My HD is 29lbs and climbs great. Can't comment on the SL, but either way you can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    I also agree with Snigs, get the Yeti.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i eliminated yeti already

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'm pretty sure Yeti is still around.

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo
    i eliminated yeti already
    Then buy a Turner or a Knolly!

Stand back
    I eliminate like a yeti, does that count for anything?
    I'd say if you ride slightly aggressively, then you'd get more joy from the hd. And it would be more fun at the resorts, if you swing that way.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    I own a standard Mojo (same geometry as a SL/SLR). Great bike with one flaw: It is very prone to chain suck. Happens most often when you shift while climbing something rough and steep. Technique helps eliminating some of it - but I never reached a state where I did not experience chain suck anymore at all. Eventually I converted the bike to a 1x9 setup. Since then, it is a great bike.

Nobody (yet) has reported chain suck problems with the HD. So that is what I would be buying.

Convert it to 140mm, slam some light tires/wheels on and you'll have a fast trail bike. Run it at full travel and you'll have a light sender.

Only remaining issue: If you want a chain guide you need to go single ring in the front. The bike has no ISCG tabs and any chain guide mounted on the BB will rotate on impact. (Yep - writing based on experience.) Ibis sells a great MRP, but that requires a single ring setup.

Finally... single ring front is not an issue. 32x34 gets you up almost every trail. I expected to push quite a bit after I converted the Mojo. Didn't turn out that way. Mojos are awesome climbers.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    lol, that for sure counts a lot.
    never done resort, i like to climb before descending. i might try it and like it though.

dont really care for chain guide right now. i like the fact that i can convert hd to 140 if i wanted. i already have 150mm fork. if i get hd with tapered tube 160 fork will i still be able to use my old no taper tube fork without changing headset?

mtbr member
    I am not talking about resort riding. Just the more technical trails.

If you can reuse your 150mm fork depends. It has to have the same steerer tube as the new 160mm fork. Either both are tapered or neither is. If you try to mix and match you'd have to replace the headset (lower cup).

For what its worth: I am riding my Mojo with a 150mm fork. I love technical trails.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ride a HD. I've rode it at 140 and 160 here in CO and it's great, but it climbs so well I'd go with 160. Great bike, I ride a lot of bikes in my travels and at this pricepoint you can't really go wrong, but the HD is perfect for CO.