Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I went up to Lyons today

no text
    Last edited by xcguy; 11-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

ride
    You think it looks bad now, I think it looks great!

The car pic on Apple Valley is cars they have pulled out of the river. There's another similar collection on the SE corner of 36/66 east of Lyons.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Holy sh1t.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Holy sh1t.
    Didn't you know, you can say **** on this site now... No need to cover up that ****.

My leg feels funny
    So am I right in reading that Lyons or parts of Lyons still does not sewer/gas/water?

The pictures are intense, looks like there's still a lot to do up there. Thanks for the report

Alaskan in exile.
    I went up to Lyons on Saturday to order some new wheels at Redstone. I drove around the downtown area a little bit and I think there was a large group of volunteers working along the river banks. The guys at Redstone were great and said they were hearing rumors that Hall Ranch might reopen this coming weekend. They also recommended stopping at the St. Vrain market for lunch; great suggestion, I got a great deli sandwich! Talking with the gals behind the counter while they made my order, I mentioned how it was my first time in town since the flood and was surprised at the amount of damage. They commented that they are hearing that from a lot of returning visitors, but they are amazed at how much has already been cleaned up!

Both Redstone and the St. Vrain Market employees were very appreciative of my business. I would really encourage everyone to visit and help out by spending a few bucks at Lyons businesses if you can!
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

mtbr member
    WOW!!!!! I am speechless.....

contains quinine
    [QUOTE=nanook93;10793438]The guys at Redstone were great and said they were hearing rumors that Hall Ranch might reopen this coming weekend.[QUOTE]

I haven't heard that one but Heil/Picture Rock is slated to open Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook93 View Post
    Both Redstone and the St. Vrain Market employees were very appreciative of my business. I would really encourage everyone to visit and help out by spending a few bucks at Lyons businesses if you can!
    Yes!
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Holy sh1t.
    FIFY
    Holy silt

Tough Stuff. Mom nature cares little about our wants and needs.

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Mom nature cares little about our wants and needs.
    Are you making a case to care little about hers as well?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wow... thanks for going up there and taking pictures. If the weather looks OK, I plan on skipping out from work early on Friday to ride Picture Rock.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    Unbelievable! This flood damage sucks!
    Ummmm, what is that in the 13th pic on the left side?? Its a face??

ride
    Its a face painted on the back of a road sign.

About half of Lyons has sewer gas and water. The rest of town, except those hardest hit, will be back online by mid Nov. There are still plenty of people that don't even have electricity yet. We just got gas, sewer, and water at Redstone Cyclery about a week and a half ago.

Heil should open from the Lyons side only this Fri. Hall will not likely open until hwy 7 opens (forecast for 12/1).

If you come up to Lyons, the local economy would love it if you bought a coffee, beer, sammich, a tube. A little goes a long way. We need all the help we can get.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great report. Thanks a lot!

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    Didn't you know, you can say **** on this site now... No need to cover up that ****.
    Holy ****!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Holy ****!
    I read a TV commentary from some guy who's thing was swearing--he hated it. You all know someone like that, you swear, you're an evil person. The commentary was on an episode of South Park and his agenda was vulgarity on TV. It was the first one he'd ever watched and just happened to be The **** Episode (linky provided).

He went on and on about how vulgar South Park was and a destabilizer of families and **** and on and on and on. Of all the episodes for him to watch.

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    About half of Lyons has sewer gas and water. The rest of town, except those hardest hit, will be back online by mid Nov. There are still plenty of people that don't even have electricity yet. We just got gas, sewer, and water at Redstone Cyclery about a week and a half ago.
    Wow, that's pretty crazy to think how quick we can lose those "luxuries" and how much work it takes to bring them back up.

lucky enough
    hmmm, think I'll head to Picture Rock friday. And likely spend $. I'll no doubt need some bike-related thingy and I'll also get hungry. :-)
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    classic episode

Dave- emailed ya a few weeks back, not sure if you got it with everything going on.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    Wow, that's pretty crazy to think how quick we can lose those "luxuries" and how much work it takes to bring them back up.
    Yeah. A lot of the towns utilities were alongside the water so when the rivers blew up, they blew out water and sewer lines also. Town is working incredibly hard getting water and sewer lines back online. Gas is ready to go but they won't turn gas on until the water is up for safety concerns.

Lyons has gone from looking like a warzone to now looking like a cleanup and construction zone. Beware the orange cones and 25mph speed limit everywhere.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Wow... thanks for going up there and taking pictures. If the weather looks OK, I plan on skipping out from work early on Friday to ride Picture Rock.
    I took over 225 and 98% of them were while I was driving! On the way up to Estes there were plenty of photo ops over there and over there but nowhere to pull over so I shot through my windshield or out side windows. While keeping my eye on the road, of course. My main mission was to document the opening of 36 in my meager fashion, next time I'm going to stroll about the town.

I got plenty more pics of the devastation but I just wanted to show that Lyons is on the mend. Steve, take a camera when you go up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I might have mentioned this on my other flood threads but I'd listened to an interview with the governor of Vermont who met with our governor, discussing how he coped with his state's being devastated from some hurricane a few years back.

Two years later the state is just about back to "normal". (we're two months out). He said one of the most important things he learned (referring to the repair of roads and bridges and such) was to forget the permit process, just get the guys who do that type of repair together and let them work it out. Fund their efforts and it's almost magical how quickly stuff can get done by just sweat and hard labor. Witness the opening of 36 way ahead of projected schedule.

CDOT has always said it was most important to get roads (and bridges) in place, however "temporary" in nature, to allow traffic to pass and be plowable. If you've seen what 36 looked like just after the flood, it's totally remarkable the progress they made. One step at a time by crews who know what they're doing and it gets done.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I took over 225 and 98% of them were while I was driving!
    You and all the other hundreds of cars gawking up here. Makes it a dangerous place to be a driver, passerby, or pedestrian. Just sayin.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    you and all the other hundreds of cars gawking up here. Makes it a dangerous place to be a driver, passerby, or pedestrian. Just sayin.
    OK. Sorry for gawking. Pics are down now. Good luck man.

ride
    Dont be so sensitive man. LIke the pics. Just saying that driving and taking pics has made it a dangerous place. Feet or bikes are a way better way to go
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast