mtbr member

I want to try a new shock....

I have a Jamis XLT with the stock Manitou Swinger 3way and I'm starting to hate the way in works. I'd like to try something new in the back... it takes a 200mm (e2e) x 50m stroke, that's 7.875 (7 7/8) X 2".

The SPV just like an on off valve and does little to add any sort of progressive feeling. Aside from the obvious limitations of a faux bar design, the rear shock is just not up to the task.

Does anyone have an extra shock just "lying around that I could borrow for a day or two? I'm thinking of a Fox DHX air or a RP23.

I know, why would anyone just have one of these lying around. But if anyone does and would be cool with lending it out, I'd be greatful and it would help me figure out what I should do.

I'm in Longmont, so anywhere between boulder and Loveland would be easy.

Thanks

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yogidave
    I have a Jamis XLT with the stock Manitou Swinger 3way and I'm starting to hate the way in works. I'd like to try something new in the back... it takes a 200mm (e2e) x 50m stroke, that's 7.875 (7 7/8) X 2".

The SPV just like an on off valve and does little to add any sort of progressive feeling. Aside from the obvious limitations of a faux bar design, the rear shock is just not up to the task.

Does anyone have an extra shock just "lying around that I could borrow for a day or two? I'm thinking of a Fox DHX air or a RP23.

I know, why would anyone just have one of these lying around. But if anyone does and would be cool with lending it out, I'd be greatful and it would help me figure out what I should do.

I'm in Longmont, so anywhere between boulder and Loveland would be easy.

Thanks
    Never blame the bike...

mtbr member

Ah, sage wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Never blame the bike...
    Well, I'm in the analysis stage... if I determine that it is infact me.. well then, I just don't know what I'll do.

Maybe I'm in denial?

Living the High Life
    Manitous can be hit and miss for performance. If you have tried all the options for tuning the thing, you may have a miss on your hands.

Thread Terrorist
    Check with the guys at Mojo. They may have some options and idea's for you... Hell, they may actually have a shock to try, you never know.

My leg feels funny
    FWIW I'm running a 3way air and it does the job. I had to play around with the PSI in the spv chamber vs the spring chamber before I really liked it. Now that its dialed in I don't have enough complaints to want to replace it just yet. I also have to check the air in both chambers every time I ride as the spv chamber looses air quick.

mtbr member

Mine is leaky too...

I wonder if a leaky shock is part of the issue.... I've even contemplated replacing the valve core innards just to make sure... it's a few years old and those things don't last forever... The little rubber gromet/o-rings dry out and get brittle over time....

I'll keep tuning...

mtbr member
    Swap it out for an RP3. I've had two bikes with the Swinger 3-way and I hated how they felt. I've tuned and tuned the hell out of them and they still sucked. They have a nice pedaling platform for climbing but they're harsh over rough stuff. Both bikes I swapped them out for Fox and problem solved.

Feeding your addiction
    I wonder if a leaky shock is part of the issue.... I've even contemplated replacing the valve core innards just to make sure... it's a few years old and those things don't last forever... The little rubber gromet/o-rings dry out and get brittle over time....

I'll keep tuning...
    I could arrange a loaner for you to try out sometime soon. Shoot me an email and we can set something up, I'm in Loveland.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by liqwid
    FWIW I'm running a 3way air and it does the job. I had to play around with the PSI in the spv chamber vs the spring chamber before I really liked it. Now that its dialed in I don't have enough complaints to want to replace it just yet. I also have to check the air in both chambers every time I ride as the spv chamber looses air quick.

My Manitou leaked air as well, because the valves were not tight enough. Find a valve removal tool (like what comes with a bottle of slime) and see if you can tighten the valve. Mines worked like a charm ever since.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

Tame the Penguin!

I'll keep tuning...
    Check with Ventanarama for a test ride on a different shock. I know for sure he has a Push'd RP23 and a Cane Creek Double Barrel in stock. He also typically keeps DHXs and stock RP23s in stock in that size as well.

If you are riding your XLT much, you probably should have had the Manitou shock rebuilt at least once by now IMHO.......it could just be worn out. However, there are a lot of benefits to be had from other shocks on the market currently.

--Beast

mtbr member

Hey Larry....

Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    I could arrange a loaner for you to try out sometime soon. Shoot me an email and we can set something up, I'm in Loveland.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Just sent you e-mail. Thanks for the response.