mtbr member

I miss riding. I miss the Front Range.

Moved to south east Missouri almost two years ago. Have not ridden since moving. There's not much going on around here.

I had no clue how much I missed riding and the Front Range until I walked into a bike store yesterday. There's actually a real bike store here with real bikes (Felt, Giant, Salsa, etc)...

...and I started crying. Totally blew me away, totally caught me off guard, never saw THAT coming. Don't take what you all have out there for granted for a second...and turn some cranks for me please.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

Now older but less slow!
    I hear ya!

When I lived in the UK I used to bike 3 to 4 times a week - about a 100 miles off road a week. Then I moved to the flatter part of Wisconsin. I found the legal trails were a 1 hour drive and they were 1 way - over maintained and frankly boring. The one interesting piece was an eroded "connector" that then got smoothed over as an "improvement". I gave up mountain biking in 2002 and bought a road bike instead. I didn't sit of my mountain bike again until 2008 when I moved to Illinois and discovered CAMBR and the trails of Palos Hills SW of Chicago.

Now in 2011 I moved to the Front Range and really found my love of mountain biking again. It is really easy when there are real mountains to put into "mountain biking". I'm building up my fitness again but with wife, kids, and some 10 years on me I will never be as fit as I was in those pre 2002 days. Still i have fun now.

It's hard to keep your love for the sport when you move to a place that sucks. If you have built your life around biking and then that is taken away from you, you can feel a loss like someone has died in your family. I did.

Luckily unlike dead family members, that loss can be rekindled. It might take time and you may not know where your fortunes will take you, but you may have the opportunity to find that sweet spot that allows you to bike again.

I never once thought I would end up in Colorado. Perhaps you will end up in in some mecca like Bend, OR one day, or even back here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeCOLORADO View Post
    Moved to south east Missouri almost two years ago. Have not ridden since moving. There's not much going on around here.
    Every few years I head there to canoe the Current River. Last few times I have taken my mtn bike and always found something cool to ride. I remember the Berryman Trail...but the local shop advised against it because I was solo and I guess it's easy to get lost. Last time I rode around a lake on some sweet tight twisty singletrack (I'll have to look it up). Now each ride was humid as hell and I think I rode through 500 spider webs but I certainly got to ride!

Ted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianhillsted View Post
    (I'll have to look it up)
    I think it was this one: Council Bluffs Lake Trail Missouri Trail Reviews

mtbr member
    After college I lived in Vail for several years. I ended up moving back to Chicago for about 7 years. The whole time my goal was to get my career to a point where I could move back to Colorado or some other western location. Fortunately I was able to make that happen. It took a lot of work and I never take the riding out here for granted. See if you can make the move back or at least take some mountain bike trips.

mtbr member
    ...and then there is the 30...maybe 40lbs I've gained in the last two years.

I am riding tomorrow...even if it's only on my own property.
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

jl
    climb
    I don't know why you moved to misery, but I know I've lived here all my life, and I don't plan on moving away...

Come home soon .
    Ride On!

The Notorious S.L.O

I can relate....

I did 18 mo in eastern NC, which is beyond flat and the closest trail worth riding was 1 hr away and was a pay trail. The thing had 11 miles that just seemed to double back on itself over and over again.
    Back in CO now,
    How far are you from the Ozarks?
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Moved to south east Missouri almost two years ago.

mtbr member
    Yeah , how close are you to NW Arkansas?

mtbr member
    I am a little less than three hours from Eureka Springs.

Slow Belly Farm to Eureka Springs, AR - Google Maps

mtbr member
    1) Berryman trail. I haven't ridden it but I did an overnight backpack that was a lot of fun. If I remember right it is around 25 miles.

2) Start floating on the Ozark Natl Scenic Riverway, but float more than just the Current river as in the summer as it is lots of drunk yahoos. (Note that I have nothing against drunken yahoos as I myself am one on occasion, they just aren't that great in big numbers in nature) You can spend several days and nights in near isolation in the fall on beautiful rivers camping on sand/ gravel bars. In the summer if you can get an outfitter to drop you off way upstream you can avoid most crowds for a couple days and then just deal with the day floaters on the last day. Check out the Upper Jacks Fork in particular, also the Eleven Point. I really miss fall float trips.

Yeah it isn't Colorado but there are some great outdoor opportunities in MO. Of course I moved from Columbia 11 years ago to CO and never plan on moving back.

ride
    Good riding is where you find it, but you've got to look. SE MO is beautiful, and full of great riding. Lots of riding in Mark Twain NF. There's even plenty of good riding in and around St Louis.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Frys With That, Please

I had no clue how much I missed riding and the Front Range until I walked into a bike store yesterday. There's actually a real bike store here with real bikes (Felt, Giant, Salsa, etc)...

...and I started crying. Totally blew me away, totally caught me off guard, never saw THAT coming. Don't take what you all have out there for granted for a second...and turn some cranks for me please.
    Warning: Thread-dredge!

While searching I came across this thread.

When I moved from San Diego to Boise back in '99 I was so busy with my new family (Wife and 18 month old son) that I didn't have time to think about what I left behind (Mom/dad, friends, 25 year history, etc). In 2002 we visited San Diego and I was happy ooing and ahing about my old stomping ground.

Until I went to my old surfing hangout: Crystal Pier at Pacific Beach.

I was expecting to do the same ooing and ahing but as I walked from the parking lot to the boardwalk and saw and heard the surf on the South side of Crystal Pier, I got the exact same feeling as you did: I started crying. Right there on the boardwalk at about high noon I felt like I just ran into dear old friend that I haven't seen in decades and didn't realize how much they had meant to me. I didn't realize how much Crystal Pier/P.B. and O.B. meant to me until I went back after not being there for a mere 3 years.

When I got back to my parents place (We were staying there for the visit) I told my wife I wanted to move back, NOW! After talking it over with my wife and doing serious pondering, I came full circle on the reason why we left in the first place: To raise our children in a better, less hustle and bustle environment.

I haven't visited Crystal Pier/P.B. or O.B. since, and I probably won't.

Regarding your last point: Even though cycling has been a much larger part of my life I don't think I ever took it for granted because cycling in my life is like indoor plumbing and electricity. Essentials: Food/clothes/shelter/bike !

But your point is well taken.

Growing up in San Diego in the '70's before the term 'mountain bike' was coined by our N. Cal. brethren, we rode highly modified Schwinn beach cruisers that we called 'Tankers' through the canyons of our neighborhoods. Mine was set up with 61/13 gears with coaster brake. Being that I didn't have mad MTB'ing skills like some of my friends, I put the 61/13 gear on because I was the only one strong enough to mash it! Several tried using it but couldn't mash it fast enough to get up to speed to stay with the group so when it was abandoned I asked if I could use it. Laughing, they said, 'Suuuure!" After mounting the gears my smarty-pants buddies tried to drop me in the canyons assuming I wouldn't get up to speed like they couldn't. They were wrong ! They got about a 40m lead before I overtook them and kept going. And going. And going until I reached our preplanned meeting point.

So that was my claim-to-fame in our cycling group. Everyone had mad MTB skills but me. I only had mad gorilla-sprint skills, but that was enough to be classified as 'cool' whenever the testosterone levels showed themselves. Granted; By age 13 I was 6' and weighed 200+lbs, so I outweighed everyone in the group by at least 50lbs. That's probably why I was able to turn those gears.
    2012 Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

1994 Cannondale Super V 1000

1996 Cannondale F500 rigid-fork 69'er

Motiv 26'er

mtbr member
    Good post brother.

Colorado still calls, the trails still call. I have been riding though, about 1,500 miles commuting the last four months so that's a start...

Rolling
    At least you have nice weather, the 3 foot snow falls on the front range has really hampered riding here during this crazy cold winter.

Paste eater
    Lived in central SC for a year.Was not great but it could have been worse. Either way, never again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Lived in central SC for a year.Was not great but it could have been worse. Either way, never again.
    Thanks for the blog link and all the Moab pics. Miss that place too. Dang it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    At least you have nice weather, the 3 foot snow falls on the front range has really hampered riding here during this crazy cold winter.
    Now where's that sarcasm smiley, again?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Yeah. That wasn't nice.

Goofing off?
    There has got to be plenty of open space and soft soil where your at. Have you thought of building some DJ's? No, it wouldn't be alpine XC but you may find a new love.

mtbr member
    Lots' of open space. Most private land. I have hooked up with a few good LBS's. There's "some" riding, but it's very mild. Very mild meaning, almost nothing technical, pretty much no extended climbs or descents, short short loops in a pretty small area.

This is the closest...the Sac River Trail System about ten mins north of town:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...5376bd26cd548f

It's about 1/2 mile square.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful there is at least something to ride nearby...but I'm a very Colorado Springs/Front Range totally spoiled mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    "There's "some" riding, but it's very mild. Very mild meaning, almost nothing technical, pretty much no extended climbs or descents, short short loops in a pretty small area."

So you have been able to find (official) trails just like in Boulder. Good for you.

Team Inflexible
    Front Range misses you bikeColorado! If you ever come back out to the Springs, we will have to go for a ride and a beer.