Thread: I miss Colorado

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I miss Colorado

I'm in Virginia for Super Bike School. First day of class is today, but I'm surprised at how much I miss Colorado after just two days away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QW3QK8IET0

Msurk

mtbr member
    Nice i have always wanted to go do that. Are you at VIR? I really had a good time there doing a track day on the north track. O yea and im from philly and im in CO now and i miss it there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yep. I'm at VIR. I left home (Chicago) three years ago and never looked back. Rarely go back to visit. Its just coming back east reminds me how much I love life in Colorado. Super bike school has made me realize how confident I am on a mountain bike compared to a motorcycle.

During the first half of the day my instructor was perturbed at my slow progress. However, after explaining that my analytical engineering learning style can cause me to learn at a different pace then others, we focused on throttle control and looking through the turns. The second half of day one we cut my lap time in half. I can't get over how little road cycling carries over into motorcycling. Mountain biking seems more relevant because there are more technical techniques and tricks to mountain biking.but mountain biking and motorcycling are very different.

Msurk

mtbr member
    Yea i did a one day track school there with Sport Bike track time. They got pissed at me because i passed my control rider when i felt he was going to slow. VIR is grate track I want to go back some day when i can run the full track. I came out here from Philly 3 years ago and i have been back once. It made me really realize how nice a city Philly is and how much history there is. I cant say i miss the weather much i have 1,500 miles in this year i could never have that if i was still back east. But i do really miss the tight twisty tree covered single track.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I love VIR, and miss it living here in CO. But Miller Motorsports Park is fun, as is Hastings Motorsports Park in NE. Neither has the elevation change of VIR though, nor the green grasses or trees. There's a new track here in CO (High Plains Raceway) that just opened, should be fun.

And I agree, I miss the tight single track back east also, although I'd miss the real mountains here in CO if I ever left. Riding's good everywhere, just different.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    OMG I progressed a ton in two days of Superbike school. I have only been riding a motorcycle for three months and went from my instructor sending me to talk to Keith Code privately about my trepidation on the bike to passing people in spots which previously scared me. If they had a "most improved" reward for camp, I am certain I would have won it.

My second day instructor was your quintessential southern cal cute blond racer girl. She was stoked to see my progress and would give me an enthusiastic thumbs up, fist pump signal while we speed around the track if I successfully improved a technique. She started pacing me faster then my comfort zone. It was absolutely hilarious when while going about 80 mph on a straight away she pretty much turned completely around and gave me that "come hither" signal, then paced me to 90+ mph.

Camp was a very cool experience, but its nice to be back in good ol' Colorado. I'm planning on checking out High Plains Race Track. I might end up replacing my SV650 with something running a in-line four.

Msurk