Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I Heart Bikepacking

Not a bad way to spend the weekend. A little more adventurous getting to the route than I thought but the goods start.

A gentle 6 mile climb to get things started

A little break before the first of many great descents

The aspen groves on this side of the pass are as impressive if not better than the other side

The "other" side of the pass. These types of threads always have people asking "What trail is this?". Here's a hint

This should be a dead give away. A good water re-supply source.

The tippy top of the day. If you haven't figured it yet, you really need to get away from the front range more often.

Oooohh Yeeeahh!!! Some trail magic at 11,800 ft. An excellent beverage to go with....

.....some campfire goodness at the end of a long descent

A new day brings a new climb backwards

I prefer chunky peanut butter. Lots of it. Although I must say it's a lot easier when you're not fighting gravity

With hard work brings great rewards. You know what goes up must come down. Like 6 miles down.

What Colorado Trail ride would be complete without some Colorado Columbines.

Bonus views

Bonus sunset shot

old skool newbie
    most excellent. thanks for the stoke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Really good stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks like a great time...
    Any chance you'd share trail head information? I'm new to the area and would really appreciate some tips on good CDT/CT segments.

Thanks in advance.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Hey - we were on that 1st section of your pictures just yesterday. Nice day. Nice trail.

mtbr member
    Nicely Done.
    Trails look dry..did you make it all the way to Breck?

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by WilburKookmeyer View Post
    Any chance you'd share trail head information? I'm new to the area and would really appreciate some tips on good CDT/CT segments.

Thanks in advance.
    Think West on 285....Think Kenosha...then go ride that fantastic bit o dirt

Ko, any chance you checked in on Jefferson? Was thinkin of headin that way this week.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dude - if it ain't in Wilderness ALL the CT is good. ALL of it.

Well - except that one part.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Ko, any chance you checked in on Jefferson? Was thinkin of headin that way this week.
    My gut told me Jefferson was gonna be a blowdown nightmare... so we avoided it this past weekend. I'd expect the ranger district would be able to give you the full skinny...

mtbr member

Thanks in advance.
    Here, have at it. Untitled by kosayno at Garmin Connect - Details If you do go to the North Fork trailhead where the CT comes out of the Lost Creek wilderness, make sure you drive something with a lot more clearance than an '86 Civic. pm me if you want more detailed info.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosayno View Post
    Here, have at it. Untitled by kosayno at Garmin Connect - Details If you do go to the North Fork trailhead where the CT comes out of the Lost Creek wilderness, make sure you drive something with a lot more clearance than an '86 Civic. pm me if you want more detailed info.
    Did one of those rogue rocks poke a hole in your oil pan? 'Cause that would be bad...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Hey - we were on that 1st section of your pictures just yesterday. Nice day. Nice trail.
    Its a good thing we didn't run into each other. I didn't want you see me out of shape and broken down. Did you start at Kenosha and when did you finish. We crossed Kenosha about 2:30 iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    No chance. This was my first time descending the CT instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ktm2us View Post
    Nicely Done.
    Trails look dry..did you make it all the way to Breck?
    That was the goal but we said beforehand that it would be no big deal if we didn't make it. We only got to bottom of the descent down from Georgia pass and just camped along the Swan river where the CT crosses it the first time. We ended up only riding 70 miles out and back from the North Fork trailhead.

mtbr member
    Did one of those rogue rocks poke a hole in your oil pan? 'Cause that would be bad...
    Funny you mentioned that because that's what my friend was thinking the whole time. We managed to only get stuck right as we left the trailhead. My right front tire was fell into a dip with about an inch of air underneath. We had to stuff a couple big rocks underneath the tire to be able to reverse out while my friend pushed the car.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Its a good thing we didn't run into each other. I didn't want you see me out of shape and broken down. Did you start at Kenosha and when did you finish. We crossed Kenosha about 2:30 iirc. .
    We just did Long Gulch up to North Fork to the campground and back. 20 mile day. I'm out of shape too.

That road must get quite a bit worse the closer to the campground you get?

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    NIce!!

hey i read that tote lid in your pic as saying "bikers" too!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

Team Inflexible
    MUST...... DO........ Bikepacking.......TRIP............. SOON

thanks for stoke

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PBR me! View Post
    NIce!!

hey i read that tote lid in your pic as saying "bikers" too!
    It meant to say "bikers" but some one doesn't know how to spell.
    Kidding aside, I did pay it forward the next day by giving a lone girl thru hiker the remainder of our food which was about $15 compared to the $.50 worth of sodas we took. She was on her way from Denver back home to Durango. She was so gracious.

mtbr member
    We just did Long Gulch up to North Fork to the campground and back. 20 mile day. I'm out of shape too.

That road must get quite a bit worse the closer to the campground you get?
    The fired road up to Long Gulch broke me down mentally. Up and down and up..... Then the climb from Long Gulch did me in. I had nothing left in my tank. The 6 mile descend to North Fork was unenjoyable for the most part. I never thought I would wish a long descend like that would be over.

mtbr member
    Related question....When sleeping near other people while bike packing, how do you prevent someone from stealing your bike while you sleep? I heard someone mention attaching and locking the bike to their body? Is that really the preferred solution?

mtbr member
    Such a great stoke! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The fired road up to Long Gulch broke me down mentally. Up and down and up..... Then the climb from Long Gulch did me in. I had nothing left in my tank. The 6 mile descend to North Fork was unenjoyable for the most part. I never thought I would wish a long descend like that would be over.
    You just need to ride the service road on NTM, and hit the weights.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Thank you!

The Wilbur wagon is a Moab vetted 4-runner... see you out there! and thanks again!

banned

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    You just need to ride the service road on NTM, and hit the weights.
    LULZ! Thanks for the laugh. That would definitely train me quick so I wouldn't be defeated by the next fire road I encounter.

Thank you!

The Wilbur wagon is a Moab vetted 4-runner... see you out there! and thanks again!
    In hindsight, I would recommend starting in Breck if you wanna do the route. It would save you close to an hour from Denver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsnotfour View Post
    Related question....When sleeping near other people while bike packing, how do you prevent someone from stealing your bike while you sleep? I heard someone mention attaching and locking the bike to their body? Is that really the preferred solution?
    Sleeping out in the woods I never thought about theft. The only time I've thought about theft during these trips is when leaving the bike unattended while resupplying at a grocery store.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast