Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rolling

I got my spin cherry popped tonight

...and it hurt.

Yes, I lost my mind. I poo poo'd spin class for years.

Now I eat crow.

My wife, who has enjoyed spin for the past two winters, convinced me to try it out. "Sure," I said after getting a seven-day pass to the gym right down the street.

It started out easy...well of course it did.

Then we hit intervals where I thought my knees were going to explode when I got out of the saddle. The one thing that really got me was, not having wind to help evaporate the sweat that was literally pouring off my face. Next time, I'm grabbing two towels.

I got a serious runners stitch at about 30 minutes, but after backing off a couple minutes, got past it and suddenly bliss. I hit the zone. Seemed easy again even though we were simulating a 12 minute climb. I probably pushed too hard for my first day, but oh well.

I hated it, yet liked it in that I realize the potential to kick my azz into a new level of fitness.

One more day with the other instructor before I decide if I will sign up and suffer all winter.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Gyms suck.

Big Boned
    I did spin classes one winter to rehab from knee surgery. My first class was a similar experience -- especially since I hadn't been on the bike in three weeks and my knee still had some swelling in it. It kicked my butt at first. I finally found a class that I was comfortable with, the instructor was a guy I raced with who approached the class from a cyclist's perspective, instead of an aerobics instructor's perspective, if that makes sense. I wound up getting my instructor certification and teaching a few classes here and there. The next season, I won a few races, and got 3rd in a 12-hour solo. And I hate to say it, but I think all those hours in the spin studio made the difference.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

trail waggler

You have to be cruel to be kind...

So you need to suffer to increase your mtb enjoyment?

That's cool, it's tough to maintain fitness in the beer drinkin' season...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Go hard or go home
    I do it too...same experience - completely drenched by the 30 minute mark, and am counting seconds by the 40 minute mark...

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by daveM
    So you need to suffer to increase your mtb enjoyment?

That's cool, it's tough to maintain fitness in the beer drinkin' season...
    When does that season end, again? I always forget.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

3nf
    Aphonopelma Coloradanum
    I thought this was going to be a thread about fancy carbon wheels shattering on Apex.

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    ...and it hurt.

Yes, I lost my mind. I poo poo'd spin class for years.

Now I eat crow.

My wife, who has enjoyed spin for the past two winters, convinced me to try it out. "Sure," I said after getting a seven-day pass to the gym right down the street.

It started out easy...well of course it did.

Then we hit intervals where I thought my knees were going to explode when I got out of the saddle. The one thing that really got me was, not having wind to help evaporate the sweat that was literally pouring off my face. Next time, I'm grabbing two towels.

I got a serious runners stitch at about 30 minutes, but after backing off a couple minutes, got past it and suddenly bliss. I hit the zone. Seemed easy again even though we were simulating a 12 minute climb. I probably pushed too hard for my first day, but oh well.

I hated it, yet liked it in that I realize the potential to kick my azz into a new level of fitness.

One more day with the other instructor before I decide if I will sign up and suffer all winter.
    Just buy a Pugsley instead Snowiest winter in decades and I was riding 3-4 days/week.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

skillz to pay billz
    are those motorcycle tires

what nice teeth you have
    I've done it a few times. And its hard to slam it once you've done it cause it can leave you hurting pretty bad.
    Those tires are the surly endomorph. 3.7's
    http://www.surlybikes.com/parts/endomorph.html

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Just buy a Pugsley instead Snowiest winter in decades and I was riding 3-4 days/week.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    I thought snow days were for Skiing?

Nice bike, BTW, looks like fun!

cheeseburger in paradise

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    Nice! Looks like that little roller is equally fun in the snow. Would love to add a pugsley (among many others) to the quiver, but alas, I only got two of the six numbers right on my lotto ticket last night. Maybe Saturday...
    singlecrack

tiny rider

Odd. I don't even see your E.T. or a basket to put it in.

MTB B'dos
    Yeah I tried spin class year before after being sick for 3 weeks straight and wanting to get my fitness back a little faster. The lack of moving air killed me the first time, along with getting a stitch. The 2nd time I placed myself right under the AC vent and was good.

Hey Larry is that the little roller going over to Blue Sky? looks like it. Boy I miss that place

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

trail waggler

Mmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Manmountain Dense
    When does that season end, again? I always forget.
    About 10p.m., only to start up again around 6p.m. the following day...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

Antitheist & Kitten lover
    Spinning isn't bad, I just don't have the temperment to put up with other people's musical selection for an hour
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

nice marmot.
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    I thought snow days were for Skiing?

Nice bike, BTW, looks like fun!
    at 24 hours of moab this year, a dude passed me on of those things... man did i feel like a chump.
    Q. how many kids with A.D.D. does it take to change a light bulb?
    A. i don't know, ya wanna go ride bikes?

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonvelocity
    Spinning isn't bad, I just don't have the temperment to put up with other people's musical selection for an hour
    Kinda like at the trailhead parking lot.

Today I did a short off road time trial and I would almost believe that just one day of spin has already noticeably improved my speed. In particular, getting out of the saddle and pounding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

ahem...

Today I did a short off road time trial and I would almost believe that just one day of spin has already noticeably improved my speed. In particular, getting out of the saddle and pounding.
    Didn't you give me sh*t a couple of weeks ago, and I quote "I wish I was at the level where bike fit really mattered to that millimeter of seatpost height, saddle position, stem length, to save the extra 3 seconds in a bike race." about getting a bike fit and now you're doing spin classes and time trials?

Antitheist & Kitten lover

I ride a big bike, so standing and pumping is sucked up by the suspension. I have to hit it much harder then on an XC bike, and I think the spinning will help. Super D won't stand a chance!
    Race Mojo Wheels | Read VitalMTB

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by lanruss
    Didn't you give me sh*t a couple of weeks ago, and I quote "I wish I was at the level where bike fit really mattered to that millimeter of seatpost height, saddle position, stem length, to save the extra 3 seconds in a bike race." about getting a bike fit and now you're doing spin classes and time trials?
    Yes.

But I didn't change the fit of my full suspension bike to do that "time trial" yesterday

My training goals are to be in shape to do a the white rim in a day, in the spring.
    Last edited by lidarman; 11-18-2007 at 10:37 AM.

mtbr member
    I think they're a necessary evil in the off season. So far this year, I've been still been able to stay outdoors but I know soon enough I'll be listening to some areobic instructor yelling 'Come on! Push it! Keep it going!' and listening to some annoying song.

At least take the opportunity to work on your pedaling. Since the experiance is pathetically dull, you can really isolate your technique.

old skool newbie
    I tried it once but got spin rage because the fat guy next to me was making too much noise, having to much fun, and generally kicking my ego-bikecentric butt.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3622054

mtbr member
    Yes.

But I didn't change the fit of my full suspension bike to do that "time trial" yesterday

My training goals are to be in shape to do a the white rim in a day, in the spring.
    I don't understand why anyone would want to ride the White Rim in one day? I've ridden it with a big group, 2 nights out, this past fall. It was great.
    But it was great because of the scenery and camping areas and quiet bliss and ... but not because it is a great ride. If you are humping to finish in a day, and you are me, you are not stopping very often to take in the views. Too bad, that is the very best part of that ride IMHO.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry to drag up an older post but..
    I tried a spin class for the first time last night. It is harder than one might think. Next time I told myself I am going to wear my bike shoes and maybe padded shorts.

On another note:
    I dont know if anyone else felt this way, but when the instructor was screaming at us into her microphone over the high paced techno-headace music, telling us to go faster, faster. work harder....faster.. I had the urge to get off the bike and give her a chuck norris style roundhouse to the face.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast