Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882

    I found her laying in the road

    At a distance (with my vision) I couldn't really make out what was going on. I was on a hike in the Spring Brook area (on Fowler) when I saw something up ahead on the road. It looked like it moved!

    I got in closer and found Maddie laying there. A sad sight. Once I got her upright and comfortable I espied her pet, what, rabbit? Platypus? in the ditch.

    Anyway, I left them together again. Maybe their owner will see this pic and reclaim them.

    Hey, no bike content, so sue me!
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  2. #2
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,424
    I was just thinking over the weekend that I have not seen any ride reports from you this summer. Are you still off of the bike due to your shoulder injury?




    ***

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    [QUOTE=scar]I was just thinking over the weekend that I have not seen any ride reports from you this summer. Are you still off of the bike due to your shoulder injury?

    I'm still off my bike due to the fact that I just don't want to risk getting injured again. Turning into a major wuss, more like it. My last crash, I could not have been riding more carefully and I still facked myself up. I'm just gonna hike this season and go into winter NOT rehabbing an injury and see what next year brings.

    So "Maddie Laying in The Road" is all I got for now.

    Schnauzers and others are taking up the slack, though, and I really enjoy checking out someone else's pics.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  4. #4
    Yappy little dog!
    Reputation: schnauzers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,881
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    At a distance (with my vision) I couldn't really make out what was going on. I was on a hike in the Spring Brook area (on Fowler) when I saw something up ahead on the road. It looked like it moved!

    I got in closer and found Maddie laying there. A sad sight. Once I got her upright and comfortable I espied her pet, what, rabbit? Platypus? in the ditch.

    Anyway, I left them together again. Maybe their owner will see this pic and reclaim them.

    Hey, no bike content, so sue me!

    Some of those placements are quite disturbing. That's cool.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Some of those placements are quite disturbing. That's cool.
    Except for me putting them on that branch, they were laying as you saw. You're right, it was a kinda disturbing sight on such a beautiful morning. What kid would just toss their dolls like that? Got tired of carrying the combined 1/4 lb? And their parents didn't notice?

    What do I know, I'm just a hiker these days
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  6. #6
    "Oldfart from Wayback"
    Reputation: onbelaydave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,678
    My wife and and went for a walk along the bike path here in Ft. Collins late last evening. I had my binoc's with since we always see several foxes. Just before we got home, we saw one with what looked like a squirrel in its mouth. I watched it for a few minutes as it would set the thing down, paw it a few times then pick it up again.

    It was pretty close, and through the binoc's I could tell it wasn't a squirrel. It was a little brown teddy bear.

    One of the strangest things I've seen in a long time.

  7. #7
    ..ouch
    Reputation: thump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,960
    Quote Originally Posted by onbelaydave
    My wife and and went for a walk along the bike path here in Ft. Collins late last evening. I had my binoc's with since we always see several foxes. Just before we got home, we saw one with what looked like a squirrel in its mouth. I watched it for a few minutes as it would set the thing down, paw it a few times then pick it up again.

    It was pretty close, and through the binoc's I could tell it wasn't a squirrel. It was a little brown teddy bear.

    One of the strangest things I've seen in a long time.
    Awesome.. natural selection at work.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Almost in the exact spot, earlier this year, I was coming back from taking pics of the climbers at Eldorado Springs. I rounded the corner through the cut in the rock and froze---there in the distance was a tail sticking out of the shrubbery that looked EXACTLY like a mountain lion's tail. My heart started racing, I kid you not.

    I just stood there and slowly started backing away. I was looking for rocks to throw. Finally I stopped and fumbled out my little point and shoot and took a couple pics (which I can't find right now).

    After awhile I saw another tail and thought, great, two of them. Then finally a guy stood upright out of the shrubbery and stepped onto the road. Jeezus, dude! I strolled up and he had two malamutes and the one's tail still looked like a mountain lion's. My heart was still pounding.

    It's like a Bermuda Triangle of weirdness right there on Fowler.

    OK, another story. Just over the bank at that spot there's a trail that comes up from the road below. It's a shortcut up to Fowler. I'm hiking on it and hear a conversation up ahead. I keep hiking, getting nearer to the voices. Turns out it was one guy having a conversation with himself IN TWO DIFFERENT VOICES. Dude! I backtracked around the guy. Weird weird.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chillmolly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy

    It's like a Bermuda Triangle of weirdness right there on Fowler.

    OK, another story. Just over the bank at that spot there's a trail that comes up from the road below. It's a shortcut up to Fowler. I'm hiking on it and hear a conversation up ahead. I keep hiking, getting nearer to the voices. Turns out it was one guy having a conversation with himself IN TWO DIFFERENT VOICES. Dude! I backtracked around the guy. Weird weird.
    Ah, yes... Life in Boulder County.

    Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling better. Hope your "summer of rest" = healthy riding for years to come.

    Marcia
    Last edited by chillmolly; 07-07-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: fixed quote

  10. #10
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,989
    Sometimes riding as careful as you can is more dangerous than letting it roll. Hope you heal up and get your confidence back...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Sometimes riding as careful as you can is more dangerous than letting it roll. Hope you heal up and get your confidence back...
    I have to say I felt my skilz eroding the past few years. I've ridden for a loooooong time and dodged a lot of bullets. I agree that not letting it roll will bite you in the backside but I found myself riding more and more timidly most of 2009. I figured by going slower and more cautiously I could continue riding forever but maybe mountain biking doesn't work that way.
    You have to at least have enough momentum to roll over and through stuff. Slow doesn't mean safe. And I found out that crashing at a slow speed doesn't mean you'll escape serious injury.

    Tell you the truth, I'm enjoying being mostly not injured. It's been since early last September since I've felt close to 100% and I don't want to jeopardize that just yet. I'm in a job position where I cannot be laid up with an injury. Arms and hands and legs must be functional for me to work and right now that takes precedence.

    Besides, I never would have found Maddie and her pet platypus if I'd been riding.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  12. #12
    Stiff yet compliant
    Reputation: Moustache rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,902
    I found this little girl stuck in an abandoned mine shaft. I called out but she wouldn't respond. Probably too scared to move.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider
    I found this little girl stuck in an abandoned mine shaft. I called out but she wouldn't respond. Probably too scared to move.
    That's some sick sh!t right there. I don't know what's sicker, that little dolls plight or me bustin' out laughing at your pic.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,882
    So I was up in that area today, hoping to capture some dragonflies in flight, but there were none to be captured. Usually a big swarm of them, today nada.

    I went up to see if Maddie had been reclaimed. In a word, nope. Changes included: a tee shirt that was there when I took the original pics was gone, in its place was a torn baseball hat, laying in the ditch, abandoned. I'll keep you updated as warranted.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •