Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 159
  1. #1
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921

    No good I-70 toll passes

    http://www.9news.com/news/top-articl...?storyid=88868

    As a Colorado native, I am truly disgusted.
    $5 each way.
    No definition of what the 'peak' hours are, but I'm assuming this will be in the summertime, too.
    No statement of what the solution is, just collecting money.

    Whatcha all think?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  2. #2
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    hopefully the toll gate is east of idaho springs central city parkway

    Just going to cause congestion more than likely,

  3. #3
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    I've been watching this on the news for a while. As if I didn't have enough of a reason not to fight the traffic to go snowboarding, now they're going to charge me $5 as well?

    What a load

  4. #4
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    eldora just got a lot more crowded

  5. #5
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    What does being native have to do with being peeved over a toll proposal?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    944
    The thread title is certainly misleading. It passed a single committee and still needs to survive the appropriations committee before it goes to the House.

    It sucks, but I'm not sure it is certain that its passage is a sure thing.

  7. #7
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,041
    Bring it on! You see SO many people driving by themselves up to the ski resorts (I am guilty of this too), and having to pay $5 will increase car pooling and hopefully decrease traffic. That being said, they had better be doing something with my $5 that invests in a true solution to the I-70 traffic problem rather just a band-aid like a toll...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evilmoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    76
    Lets see, skiing is one of the primary economic engines of the state, creating jobs and increasing the tax base. Shouldn't our "enlightened" government develop plans to increase the frequency of visits rather than decrease the frequency of visits?

    Maybe I'm over-thinking the subject.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    575
    What a complete load of crap. Notice how open ended it is, they are going to charge money to fund a solution, but they dont even know what the solution is yet. I garuntee that it will start out at $5 then work its way higher as people get used to paying this bull$hit fee. When i lived near SanFrancisco, the Golden Gate Bridge toll was $2 to pass, supposedly untill the bridge was paid for, then it was going to be free. It is now up to $6 or $7 and has been paid for many many times over. I smell money grubbing politians all over this!

  10. #10
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    What does being native have to do with being peeved over a toll proposal?
    Cuz I've been payin (a lot) in taxes for this road my whole life.

    Flame away!
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MBX5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Bring it on! You see SO many people driving by themselves up to the ski resorts (I am guilty of this too), and having to pay $5 will increase car pooling and hopefully decrease traffic. That being said, they had better be doing something with my $5 that invests in a true solution to the I-70 traffic problem rather just a band-aid like a toll...
    Good luck people will pay and still only have one person in the car. I was up in Jackson this winter and they do a free parking lot for carpools. If they want to cut down on single drivers maybe the stat should buy a lot in ski towns and open that to free carpool parking? or even the resorts who tend to think they are sooooo green now could do it.

  12. #12
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    Time for some fun...how about a guess how many posts this takes to get totally off topic (more than 1 guy talking about his dog or something).

    And, how many total posts?

    I'm going with around 40 posts until its pointless, but guessing this one will hit 200.

  13. #13
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    And, how many total posts?

    I'm going with around 40 posts until its pointless, but guessing this one will hit 200.


    Proud to be the author!

    Wait, did they say no iPods allowed in your car while on I-70?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  14. #14
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    would my dogs count as carpoolers

    where my dogs at?

  15. #15
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    The dogs might work if you get them to sit up with a mask on the whole way, then just put a few extra skis/boards on the car and the charade is all set

  16. #16
    trail waggler
    Reputation: daveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,425

    My dog...

    Just licked my face, and took a serious toll on my mustache 'doo'.

    The funds from the toll would used to widen I-70 for the new wider SUVs now popular with Texans...
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

  17. #17
    That's what she said
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    Time for some fun...how about a guess how many posts this takes to get totally off topic (more than 1 guy talking about his dog or something).

    And, how many total posts?

    I'm going with around 40 posts until its pointless, but guessing this one will hit 200.
    he he, I think your post just started to get it off track. Speaking of dogs, do you think a dog could count as a person in the carpool?

  18. #18
    Your retarded
    Reputation: Nickle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I'm going with around 40 posts until its pointless, but guessing this one will hit 200.
    200 total posts is excessive. I bet it gets derailed within 28 and only goes to 58 total posts.
    A trail thatís too difficult wouldnít exist because itíd never be used. But, trails can exist thatíre too difficult for you.

  19. #19
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBOASIS
    he he, I think your post just started to get it off track. Speaking of dogs, do you think a dog could count as a person in the carpool?
    Not entirely, you're still talking about the carpool aspect of the original title

  20. #20
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    "McElhany said the goal was to raise money for a solution to the I-70 congestion, not to designate what that solution would be."

    This is funny and ironic.

    BTW, if $4/gallon gas is not going to detour people for driving in droves, $5 tolls won't either.

    Time to build the Nixon tunnel I guess.

  21. #21
    That's what she said
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    200
    What about the guy that was using an inflatable doll to use the HOV on 36.

  22. #22
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    would my dogs count as carpoolers

    where my dogs at?

    Remember the guy busted for having the dummy in the Denver HOV lane? He had to do community service by standing for 4 hours by the highway with a sign that said "carpool lanes are not for dummies."

    here is the dummy

  23. #23
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBOASIS
    What about the guy that was using an inflatable doll to use the HOV on 36.
    That would help if the doll payed her portion, but it's $5 per car.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  24. #24
    Living the High Life
    Reputation: Ithnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,535
    What sucks is I usually go up there with 1 person. So we're still a person short.

  25. #25
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    thats not all he was using it for.

  26. #26
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    Cuz I've been payin (a lot) in taxes for this road my whole life.

    Flame away!
    Um...it's an interstate. Funded by the federal government. I-70 is not the exclusive property of natives of Colorado.

    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

    Don't mind me, I'm just an invasive species.

  27. #27
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Um...it's an interstate. Funded by the federal government. I-70 is not the exclusive property of natives of Colorado.

    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/programadmin/interstate.cfm

    Don't mind me, I'm just an invasive species.
    I pay federal taxes, too!

    (the sarcasm was not caught by the following flamer....)
    Last edited by WKD-RDR; 03-27-2008 at 04:40 PM.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  28. #28
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    I pay federal taxes, too!
    Um...we all do. That's my point.

  29. #29
    skillz to pay billz
    Reputation: nOOby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,554
    I'm guessing the state shortfall is what the state can't afford after it gets the federal funds

  30. #30
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Um...we all do. That's my point.
    So you should be digusted, too

    If you had used this highway long before it became the CF that it is, you might follow me.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  31. #31
    3327333
    Reputation: edemtbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,856
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    As a Colorado native, I am truly disgusted.
    Bummer you couldn't close the gate behind you, eh?

    The one semi-reasonable proposal I heard was to strike an agreement with the truckers to avoid I-70 during peak hours on weekends, etc. Not sure how easy that would be or even how effective but I imagine the truckers get just as frustrated with sitting in traffic and they do cause some problems on the long uphill sections.

    I've given up and help out by not skiing as much as I used to. I just don't go anymore, you can have my spot in traffic

    Ed

  32. #32
    enlightened.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    So you should be digusted, too
    Nah...I just get disgusted with arrogant natives of any state or nation

  33. #33
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    To add a nice twist to this whole issue is the ozone in Colorado.

    1. Ozone levels have exceeded the 8 hour .080 ppm standard for the past couple years--and it's getting worse.
    2. The standard was lowered tp .070 ppm recently which means we will be out of attainment more often this summer.
    3. The EPA can execute a regulatory action by removing highway funds if the problem doesn't get corrected. This can create a vicious circle where traffic gets worse, which means pollution gets worse. Atlanta, GA faced this problem in 1999.

  34. #34
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    So you should be digusted, too
    You are hilarious.

    Back to her original question: How does being a native make a person more entitled given everyone who pays gasoline taxes, funds the interstate system?

    People in California are paying taxes to the same pool that funds I-70 in Colorado. How is that for ironic, native?

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ryguy79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,601
    24 to 9 FTW

  36. #36
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,759
    The Feds will laugh this one right into the toilet.

  37. #37
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Nah...I just get disgusted with arrogant natives of any state or nation
    My point is that I've been using that highway my whole life, and its upsetting to me from that aspect. Maybe more so than someone who has never been able to cruise home on Sunday afternoon without traffic. Thats all.

    These growing pains are tough for me, and now a toll.

    Not tryin to be self-righteous, and I'm most certainly not arrogant. (How was I being arrogant, again?)

    So my most sincere appologies to all who were so easily offended by me admitting that I am a native.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  38. #38
    trail waggler
    Reputation: daveM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,425

    Actually I congratulate you...

    For choosing such a great state to be born in!
    MY dog can lick YOUR dog!

  39. #39
    Jackass
    Reputation: pesqueeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    248
    Ironic that the Rep proposing this toll is from a city that can't even build a decent east-west corridor, that the only decent north-south corridor is a federally funded interstate, or that can't even bother to plow its streets when it snows. Pot, kettle, black?
    I'm making enemies faster than I can kill them!

  40. #40
    gravity curmudgeon
    Reputation: cowdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,459
    I miss a lot of things about the Colorado Front Range, but I-70 is not one of them.

    The big issue is that I-70 needs a solution, and any solution will need lots of money. Otherwise, the only other "solution" might come from the economic downturn and ever rising gas prices that simply keep people from driving. Find money or lose money ...

  41. #41
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    3. The EPA can execute a regulatory action by removing highway funds if the problem doesn't get corrected. This can create a vicious circle where traffic gets worse, which means pollution gets worse. Atlanta, GA faced this problem in 1999.
    Not sure I agree with the logic on this one...more/better roads tends to equal more cars/more pollution, not less. So with more federal funds (and the wider is better std. mantra (instead of pushing more mass transit solutions) we will have MORE pollution....my 2 cents.

  42. #42
    Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Reputation: kristian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Phase
    What a complete load of crap. Notice how open ended it is, they are going to charge money to fund a solution, but they dont even know what the solution is yet. I garuntee that it will start out at $5 then work its way higher as people get used to paying this bull$hit fee. When i lived near SanFrancisco, the Golden Gate Bridge toll was $2 to pass, supposedly untill the bridge was paid for, then it was going to be free. It is now up to $6 or $7 and has been paid for many many times over. I smell money grubbing politians all over this!
    I love driving to DIA on E-470 now that the road is paid for completly and the toll is gone like they said it would be! (oh, wait....)

    Needless to say, you have a good point with a local precident.

  43. #43
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    How does being a native make a person more entitled given everyone who pays gasoline taxes, funds the interstate system?
    I was incorrect given the federal funding part, but I-70 does connect to many STATE hwys that I use regularly, too.

    I am not saying that I am entitled to my own little expressway to the hills. I am really not that type of person.
    I just happen to think I am entitled to be a bit more upset, Reeoch. Thats all
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  44. #44
    will hike for trail
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    41

    Its not that bad

    Bay Area folks think they live near skiing, thats traffic!
    Back East you cant get to the market without a toll and traffic!
    At least ski passes are still cheap, and skins are real cheap.
    It all may be a ploy by vacation property owners!

  45. #45
    Perpetually single track
    Reputation: ibmkidIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,170
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    http://www.9news.com/news/top-articl...?storyid=88868

    As a Colorado native, I am truly disgusted.
    $5 each way.
    No definition of what the 'peak' hours are, but I'm assuming this will be in the summertime, too.
    No statement of what the solution is, just collecting money.

    Whatcha all think?
    As a invasive species this makes me smile. I would call the current situation broke and it ain't getting better. A solution of some sort is needed, any solution will need funding and what better way to pay for it than to just charge the people causing the problem. It bothers me that no solution is tied to this, but long as the bill clearly stipulates the funds gathered will be used to alleviate traffic issues I'm cool with it.

    So what's your deal?
    1. You don't think there's a problem, or don't care if there is one.
    2. You think any solution won't need funding.
    3. You thinking the funding should be gotten via different methods...what would those be?
    4. ?

    Happy arguing folks...just trying to keep it on topic...I got money on 254 posts..
    The more out of shape you are, the steeper the hill looks.

  46. #46
    will hike for trail
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    41

    More

    Besides what is $5 buck when gas will soon be over $4.

    Act and ride locally, support your local advocates!

  47. #47
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    Quote Originally Posted by ibmkidIII
    Not sure I agree with the logic on this one...more/better roads tends to equal more cars/more pollution, not less. So with more federal funds (and the wider is better std. mantra (instead of pushing more mass transit solutions) we will have MORE pollution....my 2 cents.
    Some people believe that theory that more roads equal more traffic. For me the jury is still out since I think people are dependent on the car, regardless of traffic. I'm definitely for more mass transit. But you have to get people to use it.

    But, I'm not necessarily talking making more roads.

    Atlanta, GA has some really bad bottlenecks in the system and the roads are congested so people sit in traffic creating more pollution. The fed threatened to take the money needed to ease the bottle necks.

    That construction near Idaho springs is an example of CDOT trying to reduce a bottleneck to keep traffic speeds up. Not sure how well it worked though.

    And back on subject. I think they should charge a toll on I70, but use it to fund FREE shuttle buses every 15 minutes from golden to the resorts. You want to convenience of having your own car, then you pay more. You take advantage of public transit, you get there cheaper.

  48. #48
    tiny rider
    Reputation: cartographer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    623
    I propose a catapult near Golden...maybe something in Heritage Square. You just hold on tight to your gear and get launched up to the resorts.

    We could have the world's best alpine slide for the trip down.

  49. #49
    rr
    rr is offline
    I don't do PC
    Reputation: rr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    7,401
    nmnmnm

  50. #50
    Rolling
    Reputation: lidarman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,110
    They should put a toll booth on lookout mountain road for the shuttles of Apex.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •