Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I-70 musts?

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I-70 musts?

As I am in the midst of yet another jaunt across western Colorado, it seems like we should compile a list of good places to stretch one's legs, grab a more than passable bite to eat, or if you are Anthony, "snatch a ride from winter's clattery beak." Let's limit the list to options within 5 minutes from the highway, as we inevitably do have somewhere to go.

Some obvious choices:

Rides
    -a nearly infinite number of permutations and combinations of loops at Loma

-Meadow Mountain near Vail/Minturn

Dining
    -various good eats in Fruita (specific suggestions?)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

I like 'em either blond and fruity or dark and chocolaty

skillz to pay billz
    mushroom rock, carbondale. Nice single track

Rolling
    Food?

Jilbertitos breakfast burritos (I like egg, potato, and cheese) in West Glenwood Springs....or Nicco's burger and shake just down the road. I do the Burritos on my way to Fruita and the Burger on the way back.

Slow
    I keep hearing about great trails near Georgetown and Idaho Springs. It seems like a big secret that nobody wants to reveal- or maybe I'm paranoid... Anyone willing to shed some light?

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Hike up to Hanging Lake; during mid-week if possible. I did it on a Monday evening on the way back into town from Utah; I was alone but for a few descending tourists. The logistics are a pain but worth the effort.

edit: if you go by the suggested Mexican joint lidarman illustrates above post-brunch; get the adodabo and cabeza tacos (I may have spelled both incorrectly but you've the idea). Awesome.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by athalliah
    Hike up to Hanging Lake; during mid-week if possible. I did it on a Monday evening on the way back into town from Utah; I was alone but for a few descending tourists. The logistics are a pain but worth the effort.

BTW, We just talked the other day about doing a park in Glenwood springs, ride the path to hanging lake, hike it, return and do the hot springs. Of course in that case, it's not a mere few minutes--but definitely different.

As another aside in Glenwood is the hike up to the firefighter memorial.

Bad Andy
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow
    I keep hearing about great trails near Georgetown and Idaho Springs. It seems like a big secret that nobody wants to reveal- or maybe I'm paranoid... Anyone willing to shed some light?
    Do a search on clear creek county on this forum - lots of info about Idaho Springs and Georgetown trails - no secret, just not too many people get up there for the great riding that is there. manmountaindense has provided much info and given guided tours.

Quote Originally Posted by athallia
    get the adodabo and cabeza tacos (I may have spelled both incorrectly but you've the idea). Awesome.
    Not sure what adodabo means, but cabeza is head - - - head tacos? Yummy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    mushroom rock, carbondale. Nice single track
    Carbondale is well over 5 minutes from I-70. The Argentine pass is a nice trail to stretch those legs, only 1 minute off I-70. Just take the Silverplume exit, it's the next exit pass Georgetown if you're heading west. You can make it short ride or a long one if you want. Trail gets little use, I've only encountered another person once on this trail. Excellent trail to ride also when the aspens start turning yellow. http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/tr...o.php?trail=29

skillz to pay billz
    worth the few extra minutes though

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Commando Run.

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrysler
    Do a search on clear creek county on this forum - lots of info about Idaho Springs and Georgetown trails - no secret, just not too many people get up there for the great riding that is there. manmountaindense has provided much info and given guided tours.

Not sure what adodabo means, but cabeza is head - - - head tacos? Yummy.
    I keep misspelling it; it's adobada. And you're right, they are head tacos. They are much better than they sound.

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Alpine Natural Foods in Frisco, just off the West Main St exit has really good sandwiches, and is a decent place to pick up above average road food.

Brother's in Idaho Springs has really good breakfast wraps.

Dillon Dam Brewery.

Palisades Brewery.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

!Vamos, flaco!
    There's a good local coffee shop on Main Street in Glenwood, it's maybe called Sacred Grounds.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Mountain Buzz cafe in Georgetown after hitting some nearby trails. Good panini and coffee!

Thread Terrorist
    I like Nooby's idea of mushroom rock, but it is well beyond 5 minutes from the highway.

Not necessarily western colorado, but:

www.clearcreaktrails.com will have some info (you have to 'buy maps') on trails, but is still under construction. Idaho springs is in Clear Creek county.

when coming through west denver, you can select your rides around I-70: http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/opensp...e_T56_R108.htm

Mathews/Winters, Apex are both really close (within 5 minutes). Golden City Brewery would be a good place, but 10 minutes off the highway.

Boy scout trail in Glennwood Springs would be close.... and there is a back way in so you could do a loop.

You can jump out of the car with bikes at Copper mtn. There you can do Searle pass on the Colorado Trail.

skillz to pay billz
    OK, OK... 12 miles, pffft!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...=UTF8&t=h&z=12

You could def piece together a nice 1 hour leg stretch and be McLoving it. the parking is right off the highway as well, easy in easy out.

Armchair Sasquatcheror

Hippy Dip

there is an undeveloped hot spring just off of exit 111, due west of Glenwood Springs. Very scenic and I have never seen anyone else there when I have been there. It is only like 2 minutes of of I 70.

Also, There is a Deli in Glenwood, I think it is calles Avenue 8 Deli or something. They have excellent food and it is very reasonably priced.

Prolly the ebst place to stop by is palisade Brewery. Super cool people and the beer rocks. I am a hop head and they recently tapped the Red Truck double IPA. I think it is called Dually. Very good, and good food as well.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Commando Run.
    It is outside of my stated parameters, but I had a great time skate-skiing on Grand Mesa this morning on my way back to Boulder....they've got at least a couple more weeks up there.

Back on topic:
    Add hike Pitkin Creek in East Vail to the list of pleasant walks just off the highway.

feel the Force
    I would second the motion for Boy Scout trail in Glenwood Springs.

Big Boned
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    www.clearcreaktrails.com will have some info (you have to 'buy maps') on trails, but is still under construction. Idaho springs is in Clear Creek county.
    There's nothing for sale on the site yet, possibly never to be with my move to Austin. The goal was to offer one map per trail for a buck or two, like the "Cheap Is Real" maps they do out in Moab. Not a profit-making exercise, I planned to put all the money back into printing more maps.

If you're looking to ride around Clear Creek in the coming few weeks, PM me, the Silver Creek Trail should be pretty close to clear right now, also Barbour Forks. A couple more weeks should be enough to melt off Pavillion Point too.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    do not ride in eagle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by srust
    do not ride in eagle
    Care to expand on that?

Thunder Chunky
    Quote Originally Posted by bike21
    Care to expand on that?
    might get raped by Kobe Bryant
    Purple Popcorn

mtbr member
    The Wise Mtn/Colorado Trail ride is 10-12 minutes up Highway 9 towards Breck. Starts on the road, then switches to jeep trail but I promise you won't remember it by the time you get back to your car.

Did that loop for the first time last year- what a blast.

EJP
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks (most) everyone; we've got a good start on a list here. I will compile and organize at some point and re-post. I am wondering if anyone has stopped in Rifle or Parachute (or Dotsero, Gypsum or Debeque or any of those little places). Seems like there must be a reason to get off the highway there, other than drilling a gas well .

By the way, I have already cross-posted in the Western Slope forum, but I'm not getting many responses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast