Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hydraulic or mechanical

I am about to build up a new bike but i have never run disc before. I am builing a giant AC2 for allmountain riding. what do you guys suggest?

mtbr member
    Another forum. Try "Brake Time" or "Beginner's Corner"

Hydraulic of course! Cables stretch, rust, get sticky when dirt gets into the housing. Many mechanicals still require adjusting the pads for wear.... No brainer, really.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    I run BB7s and while they are alright, I would definitely go with hydros next. Juicy 7s or even Juicy 5's just feel better to me than my BB7s

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydee
    I am about to build up a new bike but i have never run disc before. I am builing a giant AC2 for allmountain riding. what do you guys suggest?
    If you plan to really do it, go hydro. If you plan on a relatively cheap hydro set up go cable. Nice hydros are top notch, lower end ones are not as nice as mechanical. It all depends on the pricepoint.

slow
    Why choose? Run one of each. Symmetry is overrated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Why choose? Run one of each. Symmetry is overrated.
    Come to think of it, each of my bikes has one disc and one V. Symmetry really is overrated

mtbr member
    I thought about going to the Brake time forum. however I thought that the riders in Colorado would have more insight on which system works best for our conditions. Thanks for the advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Another forum. Try "Brake Time" or "Beginner's Corner"

Hydraulic of course! Cables stretch, rust, get sticky when dirt gets into the housing. Many mechanicals still require adjusting the pads for wear.... No brainer, really.

mtbr member
    just get hydros.....

holding back the darkness
    hydros.
    not worth it to go with mechanicals. You already have mechanical discs (cantilevers+rim).
    **** censorship

beer is too easy to drink
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by subliminalshiver
    hydros.
    not worth it to go with mechanicals. You already have mechanical discs (cantilevers+rim).
    i got some old 26" rotors that run hydros
    six pack cooler coming soon!

skillz to pay billz
    I like my BB7s, no brainer day to day. I'm sure I could spend a ton on some high end hydros and love the feel. 100 bones for front and rear is pretty good.

The Notorious S.L.O

If you are going to go Hydo....

Spend the money and get a good set, entry level hydros just don't cut it.

I had Hayes enty level Hydros, Sole, which I replaced with a set of BB5s, which I really like, $120.00 for everything for the BB5s, much simpler to adjust and maintain.
    Those Soles were the only reason I have taken a bike to the shop in the last 4 years, I absolutely sucked at bleeding them.

BTW, the Soles are in the garage, 30 bucks if anyone wants them, complete set, rotors, calipers lines and levers.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

eci
    hydros

Stand back
    psssh. Hydros if you have extra money, need to impress people and / or are concerned with weight. Or maybe if you way a bunch more than the average guy, but then you won't be happy w/ standard (non-dh) hydros, either.
    Mechs (bb7's) if you want super easy to install, bulletproof, and like more adjustments for less money. Oh, and if you have some old v brake levers floating around in your garage, you can use them. In the desert (where we live), cables don't need much extra tlc, either.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    hydro's. waste that they make anything else. you won't save more than a hundie going mech. they are pieces of sh*t. only subject in MTB'ing that i am uncompromising on. mech is worthless. you can get xt's (REAL solid brakes) for 260 a set, pre-bled. just bolt on.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull_D
    they are pieces of sh*t. only subject in MTB'ing that i am uncompromising on. mech is worthless.
    Not true at all. There are several reasons to run mechanical brakes. Ease of adjustment, amount of adjustment, the ability to easily tailor your cable length to your liking... oh and they work, too. The BB5 I run on my slopestlye bike has one-finger lock-em up power. I run mechanical mainly so I can run a really long cable for x-ups and barspins.

So while mechanical may not be perfect, they indeed do have a genuine use and purpose.

skillz to pay billz
    I know a few endurance guys who swear by mechanicals for dependability.

mtbr member
    so here is another question. whats a good wheelset to run. something not to expensive yet good for allmountain.

Slopestyle Rider
    Sun Rhyno-Lite is a really good wheelset.

http://mojowheels.com/shopsite_sc/st...om-wheels.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Sun Rhyno-Lite is a really good wheelset.

http://mojowheels.com/shopsite_sc/st...om-wheels.html
    Funny i was just looking at the set on Mojo's page

Ride Everything
    Some hydro's feel really sluggish in cold weather. I had some Hayes Strokers, and sold them for that very reason. I run BB7s with organic pads, full-length housing, and Avid Black Ops levers, and don't have any problems with power or modulation.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

MK_
    carpe maņana
    All in all, a good set of hydros will outperform the mechanicals; however, since this is your first set of disc brakes I would go with mechanicals. You won't have to deal with bleeding the lines, contaminating your rotors and pads, etc. Replacing cables is easy and the Avid mechanicals are very decent brakes.

_MK

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull_D
    hydro's. waste that they make anything else. you won't save more than a hundie going mech. they are pieces of sh*t. only subject in MTB'ing that i am uncompromising on. mech is worthless. you can get xt's (REAL solid brakes) for 260 a set, pre-bled. just bolt on.

Sounds like you have experience w/ hayes mechs...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Outcast
    You pussies use brakes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Not true at all. There are several reasons to run mechanical brakes. Ease of adjustment, amount of adjustment, the ability to easily tailor your cable length to your liking... oh and they work, too. The BB5 I run on my slopestlye bike has one-finger lock-em up power. I run mechanical mainly so I can run a really long cable for x-ups and barspins.

So while mechanical may not be perfect, they indeed do have a genuine use and purpose.
    i fully respect your opinion (learned to say that before i disagree with my girlfriend ) i'm sure there are apps like yours that they have a purpose. but IMHO if he is planning on riding good, solid, old fashioned AM/XC mech's are worthless. after a day of riding tough descents your hands are toast. "one finger lock-em up" is not always a good thing.....modulation is a real key. mech's have poor modulation.....more in the all or nothing arena. to respond to your reasons.....1. hydros self adjust....much easier than regularly adjusting mech's. 2. adjusting cable length is a bit harder than cable, but not rocket surgery. there is always the LBS.
    obviously financial concerns drive a lot of our component choices. but the diff in price is pretty small compared to the gap in performance. my guess is most posting here that use mech's have not used hydros, so i am not sure how they can compare. i bet there are quite a few who HAD mech's and now run hydros....including myself. probably a more "experienced" opinion from those who have run both.
    if there is anybody on here old enough to have driven a car that had mechanical brakes........it is the same exact comparison. don't see them on cars too much anymore. scary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast